Managed Payments NOT WORKING for local pick up

Ebay just put my account into managed payments.     

I wondered how that would work for local pick up.

In the listing creation, there are two boxes you can tick to allow for local pick up (they result in an option on your listing which reads FREE LOCAL PICK UP).

The first of these boxes is in the payments section (you can tick that box without issue).

The second box is under Domestic shipping (under calculated shipping)     This box you can tick, but after you save, and go back, the tick will be removed.     I tried this using two different brousers, and using the bulk editor, and the editing individually, and relisting.     In each case the tick does not save.

The result is that when a buyer selects FREE LOCAL SHIPPING - ebay sends them an invoice that contains a shipping fee equivaluent to if it was mailed to them.    There is no way for the seller to manually remove this shipping fee.

I phoned ebay, and as usual, they were only able to report a ticket to their back room.

In my case, after trying various work arounds with the buyer, the buyer decided to cancel the transaction.

Thanks to ebay's managed payments, a sale that would have occured, has now been lost.

We try hard to go along with all the self serving changes ebay makes, but it gets harder and harder when these changes actually drive willing buyers elsewhere.

Who knows how long this local payment "bug" will exist.     One wonders if it is intentional to try to prevent buyers from using local pick up.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Managed Payments NOT WORKING for local pick up

I added a couple of your recently listed items to my cart and in both cases I was able to choose free pickup once I clicked on check out.  The total I was shown had free shipping.  The only recent listing that I didn't see pickup available was for the Kayton painting. Which item was your buyer having problems with?

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Your post suggests you are using calculated shipping. I found out a few months ago you cant use calculated shipping and local pickup. I’ve never gotten a good reason why and apparently it’s been like that for years, way before managed payments.
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Just curious; you could'nt reinvoice the buyer with a discount equivalent to the shipping fees...I have done that in the past but not recently. Not he best solution but you still have a sold item.

That way you take the lost...ebay get their final value fee and fee on shipping.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@ericsells75 wrote:
Your post suggests you are using calculated shipping. I found out a few months ago you cant use calculated shipping and local pickup. I’ve never gotten a good reason why and apparently it’s been like that for years, way before managed payments.

I've had listings in the past without local pick up attached. Customer would come along and make purchase specifying local pickup was preferred. Once they committed to buy being able to update was not always possible. In some cases I had to cancel and relist for the seller to pay correcting without requiring a refund. With partial refunds FVF's are NOT refunded to the seller.

Same goes with creating listings. At times I could add Pick up as an option. Other times not with calculated shipping. Same goes for adding a handling charge (Which some sellers do per item...They call it a convenience fee). Some listing you can apply. Others you cannot.

Truthfully all I can say about pick ups is the only consistency is there is no consistency.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Thanks for your thoughts.    Everything you observed is correct.     However if you purchase any of those items that tell you they have free local pickup, ebay will send you an invoice that contains shipping to your address (as if it were being mailed to you).     To make it even worse.    I can manually create a new invoice, which shows local pick up, but ebay will keep the total the same (including shipping).

That is what happenned.    The item it happenned too is 273911923378  (tried to include a link to the ebay page, but of course, ebay won't allow it)

There is no work around.    

As stated in the initial post, the problem is the box to tick under calculated shipping (marked local pick up), does not save (when saved).    ie, you can save that tick all you want, but if you then look at the saved listing, that tick will not have saved (checked with multiple brousers, and different computers).

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Thank you for your reply.    

Your information is in error.

Prior to managed payment you can have calculated shipping and local pick up.    The local pick up option is a box you select in the domestic calculated shipping section.    I know this, becuase I use it on an ongoing basis.   (or did until Managed payments).

Also, prior ot managed payments you could manually change the invoice to remove shipping if someone changed their mind about having it mailed, and chose to pick it up instead.      Presently with Managed payments that option does not exist

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I've done that in the past prior to managed payments.     It was something I often did for example with combined shipping, where the actual shipping was less than the amount paid.     I'd just refund the extra via paypal.   As you stated, this would mean ebay would keep their cut of the original shipping fee, but it was still doable from my end.     That option does not exist with managed payments.       

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@patphotog wrote:

Just curious; you could'nt reinvoice the buyer with a discount equivalent to the shipping fees...I have done that in the past but not recently. Not he best solution but you still have a sold item.

That way you take the lost...ebay get their final value fee and fee on shipping.

In certain situations that is the ONLY way to correct/update incorrect shipping amounts. The alternative is cancel the order and recreate the listing just for that specific buyer with correct shipping.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

If the problem is that the tick is not saved, then there wouldn't be the free pick up option on the listing under shipping details and I do see that option on that listing as well as on the other listings of yours that I checked.

Are you saying that if I purchase one of your items with the free pick up option on and I check off that option when I checkout, that ebay will ignore that I checked it off and charge me for shipping? I haven't heard of that happening before.  I could be wrong but to me it sounds as if the buyer didn't put the item in their cart and then try to checkout and check off the pick up option.  You said that ebay sent them an invoice with the shipping amount on it so they must have clicked on buy it now and then waited for an invoice.  Even then I would have thought that the different options would show on that invoice but perhaps that's where there is a glitch or perhaps the other options aren't obvious?

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@westcoastart2 wrote:

I've done that in the past prior to managed payments.     It was something I often did for example with combined shipping, where the actual shipping was less than the amount paid.     I'd just refund the extra via paypal.   As you stated, this would mean ebay would keep their cut of the original shipping fee, but it was still doable from my end.     That option does not exist with managed payments.       

You can refund the extra amount from your pending funds in MP. There is a refund option on the down arrow next to that item in your order/sold items history.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

The buyer made me an offer to purchase ($400 offer on $500 item)

I accepted the offer.

The buyer selected local pick up.

The buyer then wrote to me asking if I could remove the shipping cost!

I then looked at the invoice ebay had sent the buyer, and it included shipping.

I then tried to manually change the invoice.     I could change the delivery method to local pick up, and enter zero cost, and send to the buyer,  but the invoice recieved by the buyer kept the same total (ie inlcuding the mailing fee).

I spent a long time on the phone with three different ebay reps (all from Columbia........lol), trying different things at their end and mine.    In the end they agreed there was a site issue, for which they reported a service ticket to their support people.      No idea how long it will stay that way.

This is the result of changing to Managed Payments.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I recently did my first pick up sale with Managed Payments. My buyer is also a seller, and we worked closely together to test this out, and these were my findings:

1. I had to completely remove all shipping options except local pickup to remove the shipping charge from the invoice.

2. Buyer was forced to pay immediately, even though I removed this option because we agreed on cash upon pickup. *Note* she insists she was forced, I'm thinking she was "guided". In other words, Ebay did their very best to dupe my buyer into thinking she had to pay online in order to complete the transaction. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has been successful lately with just a cash pickup.

I was impressed that the new QR Code scan upon pickup worked. It was a bit glitchy (just like everything else in the app), but in the end it worked.
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:
I recently did my first pick up sale with Managed Payments. My buyer is also a seller, and we worked closely together to test this out, and these were my findings:

1. I had to completely remove all shipping options except local pickup to remove the shipping charge from the invoice.

2. Buyer was forced to pay immediately, even though I removed this option because we agreed on cash upon pickup. *Note* she insists she was forced, I'm thinking she was "guided". In other words, Ebay did their very best to dupe my buyer into thinking she had to pay online in order to complete the transaction. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has been successful lately with just a cash pickup.

I was impressed that the new QR Code scan upon pickup worked. It was a bit glitchy (just like everything else in the app), but in the end it worked.

I just had one of these also. The invoice was sent automatically to the buyer. But no option to resend if required. Also fees came out immediately even though customer had not paid. Still a chance they could change their mind or just not pay.

-Lotz

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

There seems to be a problems with invoicing when MP sellers offer local pickup. There's more info in the posts above..is it possible to have someone look into it?

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@westcoastart2 wrote:

You can refund the extra amount from your pending funds in MP. There is a refund option on the down arrow next to that item in your order/sold items history.

With partial refunds any applicable FVF's are not credited. That is why sending an amended invoice prior to payment is the preferable method.

-Lotz

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

I am aware of that.

I was replying to the comment that there is no option to make a partial refund in MP

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Thanks for the tag @pjcdn2005 - I'll get it passed on. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 18 of 18
latest reply