Managed payments & Shippo

I keep getting messages from eBay about switching to managed payments. I don't want to do it, for many reasons, but of course like all other eBay changes won't really have a choice, and will probably take the plunge

How do we pay shippo, with this new system. Do I have to set shippo up with my bank account also OR transfer money to Pay Pal to cover shipping charges and then they will come out of Pay Pal as they always have???? Probably a stupid question with an obvious answer, but....Please help 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

I have the same questions ... I also got another request from eBay today to enter my bank information.  

Today, for instance, I sent an invoice to a buyer to cover additional shipping costs as she requested express shipping.  Easily done ... PayPal has all her information and it was sent in a couple of minutes.  

Personally, I like having my money in PayPal.   I don't earn that much so I'm not using the money in that account to pay utilities, etc.  So when I'm considering treating myself to something like new shoes or Jets tickets,  or even to buy more product, I check to see how much I have in my  account and use that money.  It makes monthly budgeting easier when I keep my eBay money separate.  I don''t know why this can't be optional.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Glad I'm not the only one out in the dark here. I feel the same as you, and use my paypal balance the same way. Everything is so easy and streamlined.

I do hope someone who is already on this system, will reply with the details on how to pay shipping, and any other helpful information for those of us yet to sign up. Maybe it will all end up being as seamless as the current system, but right now, I am very worried and confused
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

I was switched to Managed Payments at the beginning of November. I had never used Shippo to make labels. Always made them through PayPal. But since being switched I have started using Shippo. I had to add a credit card to pay for the labels.  Not sure if you can choose to pay for them through your PayPal balance also. Will check that next time I make a label.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

I might be wrong I don’t think that cumos55 uses online shipping.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

@2nd-time-around-jewelry wrote:

I was switched to Managed Payments at the beginning of November. I had never used Shippo to make labels. Always made them through PayPal. But since being switched I have started using Shippo. I had to add a credit card to pay for the labels.  Not sure if you can choose to pay for them through your PayPal balance also. Will check that next time I make a label.

Currently with Managed Payments you can only use your pending balance or a credit card. You can link your small business account number easy peazy for any applicable discount. They are working on adding additional payment methods but from my understanding that's still a work in progress. Will update if I hear any more.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@2nd-time-around-jewelry wrote:

Currently with Managed Payments you can only use your pending balance or a credit card. You can link your small business account number easy peazy for any applicable discount. They are working on adding additional payment methods but from my understanding that's still a work in progress. Will update if I hear any more.

-Lotz

They can use their pending balance in the US if they are printing labels through eBay but afaik we can't use our balance until they have an ebay label program in Canada. Have you seen something different?

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Not sure. Maybe tyler@ebay has an update on what is going on for this.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Hi folks - @pjcdn2005 is correct that using pending funds in managed payments only works with an on-eBay label solution, which eBay Canada does not currently have. It was announced earlier this year but has not yet been released*. For the time being, if you are activated in managed payments for eBay Canada you will need to look at using Shippo (or the postage retailer of your choice) with an alternate funding source. 

*I have it on good authority we're going to see this launch in the very near future. Initial launch will be small with a plan to expand to all members after the new year. However, as always, take that with a grain of salt.  

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Hi Tyler.

Are there or will there be any repercussions if sellers wait until the last minute to sign on, once all the applications are available to us in Canada.  I guess what I'm wondering is whether we will all of a sudden be unable to sell until we move to MP.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Wondering the same thing. I would like to put it off as long as possible, but don't want to all of a sudden get cut off
Message 12 of 24
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Hi folks - @pjcdn2005 is correct that using pending funds in managed payments only works with an on-eBay label solution, which eBay Canada does not currently have. It was announced earlier this year but has not yet been released*. For the time being, if you are activated in managed payments for eBay Canada you will need to look at using Shippo (or the postage retailer of your choice) with an alternate funding source. 

*I have it on good authority we're going to see this launch in the very near future. Initial launch will be small with a plan to expand to all members after the new year. However, as always, take that with a grain of salt.  

OK, so let's see if I understand this. What you are saying is that currently I cannot set up Shippo to take the money out of the bank account that I will be using for managed shipments. So if I want to use Shippo, I will have to check in with Shippo to arrange a new payment method OR keep Shippo the way it is set up now, but make sure I transfer the money that goes into my managed payments bank account to Paypal so it is there for Shippo OR provide Shippo with a credit card to bill, and then I can pay the credit card out of my managed payments bank account. 

Sigh..... does that sound about right??? 

But in the future, ebay will have it's own shipping program, and then I will cancel shippo and everything will be seamless again...... Hysterical Laughter.... sorry, but if I don't laugh I will cry. 

Seriously though, please advise whether I am on the right track here, the older I get the more complicated all these changes are - Or maybe the changes really do complicate things, rather than improve anything 😞  trying not to rant, but it's not easy

thanks for helping out, I always have to come here when eBay makes these simple changes to make my life easier hahahahaha

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

I just recieved an email "eBay Labels is launching in Canada", and that I have been added in the first batch to use this new feature, but...when I click on print label from a previous sale, the only option is shippo.  Hoping it will unlock for me the next sale.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

I have a work around in place to have the Shippo fees come out of my MP bank account. It is not ideal but it works for now.

1. Must keep Paypal balance at $0.

2. Set up Paypal to use the MP bank account # as the default payment method.

3. When my Shippo invoice is due, the Shippo invoice is paid by my Paypal account, which uses the default payment method and withdraws from my MP bank account.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply

You, and others, over the last while have discussed work-arounds to accommodate MP.  In your mind, is all of this worth it?  In other words, what are the benefits you have seen ... is there enough of a saving in fees to warrant all this?

I really am curious because I'm of the mind that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  I'm quite happy with the ways things are now and I'm stuffing all these e-mails from eBay into a folder to view when it may be absolutely necessary.

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Personally I like the way its been working so far, but I also like they way it was before. I could take it or leave it. If the label piece get working then I will like it more.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

I was stopped cold in my tracks for not MP lovin. No new lists, no revisions. I was allowed to keep my current items, but to really bend over to start any new business was weird. Did it, and not so worse.......yet
Message 18 of 24
latest reply

If you sell more than 200 items in a year or sell for more 20K worth of items in a year Ebay will happily send all recorded transactions to the government for them to use as a source of yearly income. That's why all sellers needs to switch to MP and that's also why I'm officially gonna sell elsewhere… PayPal didn't caused drama and haven't forced me to do anything I didn't want to so I see no good reason not to remains loyal towards them. GL with the extra amount you're gonna owned the government each year because of MP and super ebay…

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

@sb_canada wrote:

If you sell more than 200 items in a year or sell for more 20K worth of items in a year Ebay will happily send all recorded transactions to the government for them to use as a source of yearly income. That's why all sellers needs to switch to MP and that's also why I'm officially gonna sell elsewhere… PayPal didn't caused drama and haven't forced me to do anything I didn't want to so I see no good reason not to remains loyal towards them. GL with the extra amount you're gonna owned the government each year because of MP and super ebay…

First off you are quoting rules that apply in the USA NOT Canada, eBay does not currently report anything to the Canadian Government related to sales of individual sellers (unless specifically requested by the CRA).

Second of course is the FACT that you are required to report your income from sales on eBay regardless of any reporting or lack of reporting by eBay, PayPal or any other source.

The only people who would fear eBay reporting to CRA are those who have been and wish to continue to evade income taxes. Not a good idea to publicly announce that you are a tax evader.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 20 of 24
latest reply