Need some advice regarding wrong shipping address

I had a buyer in NY state buy a CD from me.  I charged $5.00 CDN to ship.  I used USPS and a courier service.  I sent it to the address on ebay/paypal.  I checked the tracking and it was rejected from that address as unknown.  The CD is being sent back to my Postal outlet in Blaine Washington

I contacted the buyer and I guess he had moved and not updated his ebay or paypal account and provided me with his new address.  Saying thanks for your help.

Now when the CD is returned to Blaine, I will have to drive 35 miles down across the border and pay the postal outlet $2.00 to get the CD back.  

So I am out the original shipping, the courier fee to take it to the US, gas to go down to Blaine and then $2.00 to get the CD from the postal station.  The buyer paid $7.20 CDN for the CD and $5.00 CDN to ship.

So what would you do, how would you respond to the buyer?  The buyer also is a seller that hasn't sold anything in the past month, doesn't sell CD's.  I almost what to ask him what does he expect me to do now but I am not sure how to word it.  I feel he should have to pay for shipping again as it is not my fault that he moved and didn't update his ebay/paypal records.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

If you refund his purchase price (no shipping refund) would you get a Defect?

If you refund the entire payment, would you get a Defect?

Is he a repeat customer?

I would not reship unless he pays for all shipping costs, including the cost for re-addressing the CD.

I will have to drive 35 miles down across the border

Would it be reasonable to do this when you have more items for mailing or would you run into customs problems?

(I guess you are using chitchat/bookstotheborder to carry your items to the USPS.)

What was the value of the CD? Is abandoning it forever too painful? Emotionally or financially?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

If you refund his purchase price (no shipping refund) would you get a Defect?  I don't know I may have to call customer service  If I refund him I don't think I should refund him for the shipping amount.

If you refund the entire payment, would you get a Defect?  same as above

Is he a repeat customer?  No

I would not reship unless he pays for all shipping costs, including the cost for re-addressing the CD.   How would I approach that with him?  How would I ask him to pay for the shipping again?  

I will have to drive 35 miles down across the border

Would it be reasonable to do this when you have more items for mailing or would you run into customs problems?  I

(I guess you are using chitchat/bookstotheborder to carry your items to the USPS.)  Chit Chat and if I was to remail it I would do it at the same time while in the US.

What was the value of the CD? Is abandoning it forever too painful? Emotionally or financially?  I wouldn't abandon it. I would just make use of my time in the US, buy gas etc. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Clearly retrieving the CD for a $12 sale is counter-productive.

I would contact the buyer and ask that he contact the PO and see if he can have the item re-rerouted to his new address.

There's a good chance that will work.

If that works, great.  If not, then don't forget that it's only about a few dollars so not worth a lot of energy.  

Odds are that the buyer will accept responsibility and if so the rest is up to you.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

It has already been returned to Blaine Washington today.  In the US they are really fast.  I am going to call Customer Service to see what they say?   I really only want to refund the purchase price and not the shipping.  

I was thinking of emailing the buyer this:

Hi I would like to know what you would like me to do now?   You purchased an item from me (in Canada) and I shipped it to the address you provided on ebay and paypal.  Not only did I have to pay for the USPS shipping but also a courier fee to take it over the border.  It was sent to an address that you no longer live at and was returned. 

The item is being returned to a mail box outlet that I use for mail in Blaine Washington, I have to drive 35 miles to retrieve the CD and pay $2.00 to claim it.  

You now have provided me a new address and I am not sure what you are wanting me to do now?  If you want it resent to you, I don't feel that I should have to pay for shipping again when the address that was on your account was wrong.  If you do not want it reshipped and want a refund, the money paid for shipping would not be refunded as the address is incorrect.

I see that you are also a seller so you know how expensive shipping can be.  I am only trying to be fair here.  Let me know what you want me to do?

returned.jpg

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I have to pick it up from the mail pickup place in Blaine.  I have a contract with them and am able to use their address as my return address on my USPS mail, so to maintain a good relationship, I have to pick it up.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I called Ebay and discussed my dilemma and I read out what I wanted to send to the buyer.  She said that was very good and I should send it.  She said that if the buyer wants a refund that he would only get the money he paid for the item not the shipping.  And if he wants it resent, he should pay for the shipping.  

She told me if I was doing a refund to do a partial on paypal and then call ebay and get my fvf's back on the item.  She told me I would not get a defect and that if the buyer left me negative feedback it would be removed.  I asked her to make a note on my file about this conversation so that if anything comes of it, they will have a record.  

I sent the email off and we will see what his response will be.  I gave him the choice that if he wants it resent he has to pay the shipping again, or if he wants it cancelled, that he will only get the cost of the item.  

Keeping my fingers crossed. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

You forgot to include the "cost" of saving 40¢ per liter when you fill your gas tank in Blaine.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I wouldn't send that letter to a buyer.   

The buyer is aware that it's a PITA for you and pointing that out can only work against you.

Instead, approach it like it's a problem that the two of you have to solve together................. and don't forget to remember that it's only about a few dollars and not worth all this effort.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I am heading out so I don't have the time to do a word review so I don't have time to say a lot, but in your bolded note you plan to send I suggest taking as many "you's" out as possible.

In my opinion, every time one says "you" one moves the receivers "defensive" scale up a notch or two.

For example:

I would like to know what you would like me to do now?   You purchased an item from me (in Canada) and I shipped it to the address you provided on ebay and paypal.

can be changed to:

I am uncertain what to do at this point. The item was purchased from a location in Canada and was shipped to the address provided on ebay and paypal.

This is just stating facts.... and will in my opinion greatly reduce the "defensive reaction" to the wording (because it isn't emphatically saying "you did that").... remember the buyer will attach emotion to the words you write....

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Although you mentioned you have other errands to do in Blaine, if this sort of thing ever happens again (wrong address/moved), I think I'd be tempted to simply refund the buyer with a pleasant note explaining that you use a cross-border delivery service and the cost to you of retrieving the item from the outlet in the U.S. would be more than the item is worth.  This was caused, after all, by the buyer, not you.  

You shouldn't get a defect for a refund that is not your fault.  I believe that would apply even to a full refund if it's based on an incorrect address provided by the buyer.  To be really safe however, a partial refund -- the cost of the item itself, but not shipping -- will protect you.  You could, if you wish, then send the buyer a refund for the shipping separately, through Paypal.  

I hope this turns out well for you in the end.  It would be nice to think CS can actually keep their word about the outcome for a seller in such a situation. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for all the great information.  I hadn't heard from many people so I ended up sending the email as it. There was some urgency to this as it had been delivered to my pick up place in Blaine yesterday and if I was going to resend it I needed to arrange to get down there, etc. 

I also had tried to get advice on .com.  This is what they said, interesting:   http://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Buyer-provided-the-wrong-address-item-returned-to-me-W...

The buyer emailed me this morning and said sorry for the mistake and to refund his purchase price, which I did.  I'm happy about that as the new address he provided was wrong too as it was missing an apartment number.   

At least now, I can go down to Blaine at my leisure and get a tank of gas.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

You posted this on the big board:

"I live in Canada so to use USPS, I have to have a return address in the US."

This is false. When you are sending through the USPS by first class mail, use your Canadian return address.  It will come home for no extra charge if it's undeliverable.

Also, if you're in Vancouver, stop wasting your time going to Blaine.  Go to Point Roberts instead, it's much closer so takes less time to get there.  Long border waits never exist there, regardless of what country is having a holiday.  On the rare occasion when there's 20-30 cars waiting, park your car and walk.  The shipping outlet I use is 150m from the border.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I use stamps.com and I think that I need a US address to purchase USPS mail.  I drop off at Chit Chats and they take it across the border and I am pretty sure they require a US return address.   I am happy with my choices. 

I live in North Van and Blaine is better to go to then Pt Roberts.  I probably will drive to Bellingham and get in a bit of shopping and some gas.

Thanks for your advice though.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply