New Shipping Badge

So I just received an e-mail from eBay saying they are offering a New Shipping Badge.  I really don't think it is worth bothering with. Like how can you guarantee item to arrive within 4 business days to your buyer.

So to be eligible you need to:

1. Offer free shipping

2. Offer same day or 1 day handling

3. Have your item arrive within 4 business days including your handling time

4. Ship with a tracked service and add the tracking number to your order on eBay

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

New Shipping Badge

I agree.

Even if the four days did NOT include our handling time, this does not appear to be a practical service for Canadian sellers.

Or for US sellers in more remote locations, like Hawai'i.

Actually given that Louis deJoy's attempts to murder the USPS are not being stopped by the Biden administration, it is doubtful any US seller could feel confident to make such promises.

We should remember than as Canadians we can be Global Top Rated Sellers, with the little perks that status gives, without meeting the same Proof of Delivery demands that our US colleagues must meet.  (Global TRS badges don't show on the US site.)

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

New Shipping Badge

One of those bright ideas ebay staff come up when drinking too much amazon koolaid.

A useless option for most Canadian sellers.

-|-

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

New Shipping Badge

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

One of those bright ideas ebay staff come up when drinking too much amazon koolaid.

A useless option for most Canadian sellers.

-|-

This is in direct reference to this discussion and the attached announcement.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Improved-Canadian-Shipping-Services-on-eBay-Com/m-p/4685...

As you stated the problem being is the options suggested do NOT corrolate to the available options most Canadian sellers would routine use when shipping from Canada.

The only viable options for anything shipped from Canada (to arrive in those 4 days) would CP US Priority, FEDEX AIR or  UPS 3 Day Select to the U.S. Premium services that majority of buyers would not pay for even if asked really nicely.

-Lotz

Sidenote: Because 4 days is possible in some situations within the USA does not mean it is possible to do the same from Canada....Affordably.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

New Shipping Badge

Never mind

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

New Shipping Badge

Its intended for Canadian sellers that sell on dot com. As per the original announcement.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

New Shipping Badge

Missed that was a new dot ca announcement.  Looked like a variation of the previous announcement.

Maybe both of those announcements are being  based on something like image below to meet 4 day window. Otherwise its pure fantasy!!!

product_precision_targeter_img.jpg

-Lotz

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

New Shipping Badge

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Its intended for Canadian sellers that sell on dot com. As per the original announcement.

Original announcement? If you are referring to the new generic options  on .com, why do you think the two are related?  According to the current announcement the shipping badge will be shown on .ca.  

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

New Shipping Badge

LOL as worthless as NFT's another thing eBay wants to "promote" ...

...another joke from eVay!

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

New Shipping Badge

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Original announcement? If you are referring to the new generic options  on .com, why do you think the two are related?  According to the current announcement the shipping badge will be shown on .ca.  

The first announcement on dot com (directed at Canadian sellers) as stated by several others was VERY vague on specifics including the actual services it applies to.

The 2nd announcement on dot ca is just a variation there of without options that will work for most Canadian sellers. How many situations is #3 going to work for except if you ship maybe something from Red Deer to Sylvan Lake or Toronto to Kitchener. I'm a small miracle when I ship something from Calgary to Edmonton and it arrives in 3 or 4 days.

Once fully implemented they  basically mirror each other  for any  CANADIAN seller that would attempt to use.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

New Shipping Badge

Would have been much more helpful if the options suggested (dot ca) would include access to a shipping calculator.

Shipping options USA.jpg

-Lotz

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

New Shipping Badge

Without actually doing any work, I would hazard a guess that all of those commercial carriers charge more than Canada Post does, even for CP's Priority Post.

Not to mention here in the Capital City of British Columbia, all our mail goes to the mainland for processing, even if it is addressed to Duncan or Comox, a few hours up island. That adds 12-24 hours to any shipment.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

New Shipping Badge

4 day arrival within/near the same city is often a monumental achievement with Canada Post.

I just love when the US braintrust dictates Ebay Canada to do a third rate impression of Amazon Prime when they have...umm...ZERO cultural understanding of the country.. Nice to see marketing bullship and snakeoil tactics are still the de facto business strategy. If all else fails, just lie to the buyers! Loyalty and retention after all.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

New Shipping Badge

@hlmacdon wrote:

4 day arrival within/near the same city is often a monumental achievement with Canada Post.

I just love when the US braintrust dictates Ebay Canada to do a third rate impression of Amazon Prime when they have...umm...ZERO cultural understanding of the country.. Nice to see marketing bullship and snakeoil tactics are still the de facto business strategy. If all else fails, just lie to the buyers! Loyalty and retention after all.

For your reading enjoyment. 🙂

This appeared on dot com today. References a service similar to Prime but for Australia. Released in 2018. A variation was supposed to be offered in USA but nothing comes up from help pages. Something like 49.99 USD per year USA. 4.99 Per month in Oz.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/New-eBay-Service-quot-ebayplus-quot/m-p/32409902

-Lotz

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

New Shipping Badge

Lol yeah that has been in the planning for a few years now. The marketing tagline should be Sort of Like Amazon Prime, Only Worse!

If they spent more time fixing all the broken categories, search, filtering, etc they might not be having the stock price taking a kick to the **bleep**. I guess there is little incentive to fix that given the entire growth strategy seems to be fixated on pay per click and coercing more sellers into promoted listings. 

Execs should probably spend more time to listening to why buyers think the platform sucks. Thiking you are an upscale platform that is going to attract a younger audience willing to throw high dollar amounts at purchases is going to require a bit more than social media influencers.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

New Shipping Badge

@hlmacdon 

I'm thinking they need to stay away from these planned feature rollouts. If anything can go wrong....It will!!

-Lotz

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

New Shipping Badge

@hlmacdon wrote:

I just processed a shipment to USA (Calgary to Arkansaw) with a substantial amount for shipping. 3 options were available. Expedited in 8 business days. Xpresspost in 6 business days. USA Intl Priority - ETA unknown (4 times the cost of CP Expedited) so unsure which service would be applicable for delivery in 4 days or how many buyers would even pay for that type of service.  Note: That does not include my extremely lengthy 1 day handling time. Shipping quicker is basically impossible.

-Lotz

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

New Shipping Badge

So what?  No one is saying that our items have to arrive in 4 days to Canadian or US buyers. Just like In the US, the badge will show on our listings if the shipping is free(how often do you ship free, especially  to the US?) if the max shipping time is 4 days or less and will show only on .ca. (How many US buyers shop on .ca?).   It should work the same way it has been working in the US, only buyers that are close by will see it.   

I'm not a fan of the program and don't see it as a positive but I don'tsee any reason to get upset about it.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

New Shipping Badge

The concern is eBay announcing programs as improvements said to make life easier for sellers and/or buyers when it truth they are non starters.

-Lotz

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

New Shipping Badge

3 business days shipping from Toronto to Exeter, CA...it's possible, I've done it last week through Chit Chats - USPS First Class

2021 eBay Open key Canadian presenter: StorageWarriors --> they use ChitChats

2021 Entrepreneurs of the Year --> 2 out of 3 use ChitChats

do you see a trend?

I am not saying that 4 business days to anywhere in the USA is realistic, even when using Chit Chats. Shipping to CA tends to take longer, around 6 business days on average, with FL, TX and anywhere in the East Coast doable in 4 business days from Toronto

you get the message, only sellers located in one of the 3 big cities using freight forwarding services will qualify. If you rely on CPC, you are SOL.

most of my sales are US bound. just had a BC sale today that ate an extra CAD$10 in my margin. had I sold the exact same item as far as CA, I would have made an extra CAD$10 of net profit. It is what it is, the marginal sale to my fellow Canadian is few and far apart and unprofitable vs the US equivalent. We can waive the Canadian flag as high as we want and claim we love Timmies so much (despite being owned by a Brazilian private equity fund - 3G Capital), it won't matter.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply