New canadian sellers selling on ebay.com can sell and ship items to U.S buyers?

Just wanted to know if a new Canadian seller that started selling on ebay.com is allowed to sell and ship items to U.S buyers?  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

I found this:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/questions/sell_international_requirements.html

Anyone know when this came into effect?  And yes, if the OP is registered in Canada on eBay and PayPal, why can s/he list directly on .com with this restriction?

Message 41 of 60
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

I found this:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/questions/sell_international_requirements.html

Anyone know when this came into effect?  And yes, if the OP is registered in Canada on eBay and PayPal, why can s/he list directly on .com with this restriction?

Hmmm.  Thanks for posting this -- I'm sure it may help a lot of new sellers.

This has probably been around for a while, because I vaguely recall seeing or hearing it at some point in the past few years, but I couldn't find it. It doubtless post-dated my own start on eBay, because my very first sale was to Europe.  Just like eBay to stick it under "international selling" and not also under "new seller requirements".  

Message 42 of 60
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

And yes, if the OP is registered in Canada on eBay and PayPal, why can s/he list directly on .com with this restriction?

Good question!  You would think eBay's system would be able to recognize where the seller was registered, even if they are logged into and listing on .com.  Maybe not?

Still, it wouldn't be my first advice for a new Canadian seller to start on .com just to get around the 10-item ceiling.  Better to start on .ca, get your feet thoroughly wet, and then jump into the .com pool later.  It sounds as if the OP has enough things of interest to sell to Canadians.   

Message 43 of 60
latest reply

They probably don't consider Canadians/Americans on .ca/com as international

Message 44 of 60
latest reply

So I have created a new ad on ebay.ca website and offered free shipping for this pattern:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Patons-Canadiana-Crochet-Pattern-1037-Crochet-Cuties-Doll-Clothes-/3216846489...

The most exciting part that the search by keyword works and I can see my listing!

Now, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to update my seller policies. It used to be an element in my seller preferences, but I am not seeing it. There used to be links to that in the actual listings, but I am not seeing them anywhere?

Message 45 of 60
latest reply

I don't think seller policies are working for some people.

Congrats on your .ca listing. If you try to add shipping to the U.S. what happens?

Message 46 of 60
latest reply

I haven't tried to add US shipping yet. I assume I will also have to change currency to the US dollar.

Message 47 of 60
latest reply

If you need a zip code for finding the rates for shipping to the USA use 90210.

It's easy to remember.

Or check the dropdown menu, it also offers the states by name. Choose the (mainland) one that is furthest from you.

For Ontario, use K0A 0A6 -- the House of Commons in Ottawa.

Then choose the Legislature in BC and the Legislature in Newfoundland and poof: Robert is your mother's brother!

Remember that while your Flat Rate should approximate your postage cost , it does not have to. You can also use it to cover your packaging costs . Our UK colleagues call Shipping and Handling , Postage and Packaging which seems to me to be a much clearer name.

Bubblewrap is not free.

Message 48 of 60
latest reply

Go into a Canada Post outlet and pick up their 'Postal Prices' pamphlet.

All the rates for weight and size, and other shipping options for Canada, US, and international letters and parcels are detailed within.

Message 49 of 60
latest reply

Apparently this pamphlet is not available for 2015.  From a January thread on this Board:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Canada-Post-2015-Rates-coming-soon/td-p/287234/page/3

Canada Post will also not be issuing the rate pamphlets, that you could get from the post office, any more. You have to use their PDF files and remember, light packet is not in the index as they include it with small packet heading. Here is the link to the PDF files:

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/default-e.asp

3 posts above that one, "zee-chan" posted a helpful table of CP prices.  I have been unable to cut and paste this, but have copied it out for my own use.  The following comment was added by "zee-chan"

'Please just note that the small packet rate on the table this year is not the min/max rate; I used UK and Australia because that's the two places I mailed quite often to, so you should always look up small packet air rate for the country you're mailing to just to see what the actual rate is :smileyhappy:'

Message 50 of 60
latest reply

No, ebay will automatically convert the price to U.S.$ for those who are looking at the listing on the .com site.

Message 51 of 60
latest reply

Thank you again, all! It's much clearer to me now 🙂 . I have posted a few things, but haven't sold anything yet. Maybe it's a good thing, as I can further research shipping options :).

Have a great day 🙂

Message 52 of 60
latest reply

I'm just getting ready to start selling on eBay (well versed on buying on eBay)...I wanted to thank you for this information!  You are appreciated! 

Message 53 of 60
latest reply

Thanks for the link to the Canada Post 2015 Pricing PDF
At my local Canada Post outlet I was told it wasn't available. She never mentioned online, and I didn't get around to checking.
Message 54 of 60
latest reply

Hi.

I am in central Alberta Canada.  I finally have access to a cross border shipper (CBS).  The CBS walked me through how to change the 'item ship from location' on eBay so that I am offered USPS services when listing on .com.   I want to list on .com with calculated USPS shipping worldwide, but as you said, I cannot because the 'item location' is my actual address in Canada.  Earlier in this conversation someone said that 'item location' is where I am shipping from.  My question is:  Can I change my 'item location' from central Alberta to the Montana 'ship from location' that my CBS will be shipping from?  Is this acceptable to eBay or even legal?  And will that make me able to use calculated USPS worldwide?

Message 55 of 60
latest reply

You just replied to a 2015 thread.

Start a new thread for your problem/issue is recommended when the old thread is dead.

However, since it's here....

You can use the location where it is shipped from, but you need to accept returns (if they occur) back to that location. Otherwise your American buyers will be really annoyed with you if listed it as being in USA and want returns to go back to Canada.

-..-

Message 56 of 60
latest reply

Thank you! Now to get some listings up!!
Message 57 of 60
latest reply

@pinkpterodactyl wrote:

Hi.

My question is:  Can I change my 'item location' from central Alberta to the Montana 'ship from location' that my CBS will be shipping from?  Is this acceptable to eBay or even legal?  And will that make me able to use calculated USPS worldwide?

As long as it accurately reflects where the item is shipped from (and hence ETA's are accurate), ebay is fine with this. The USPS shipping calculator that generates rates is based on your origin zip code. As long as you have an accurate zip code specified for your location it will generate rates for whatever valid locations you have specified in your shipping section of your listing. However as ypdc_dennis notes, ensure you have a US return address setup for buyers. Most cross border forwarding services will offer a solution, or you can alternatively get a USPS PO box for a low yearly fee. Package forwarding services are another option. To set realistic expectations you may also want to note in your listing any delays related to the forwarding service and set your handling time accurately to reflect this as customer ETA's are based on your handling time plus the ebay generated ETA's from the shipping service. Without a buffer set you may end up with late shipping defects. Ensure you have factored in whatever gap in time there is from when you drop off with a forwarding company and when your package is scanned. It won't always be the same day.

Message 58 of 60
latest reply

ensure you have a US return address setup for buyers.

Or bite the bullet and decide that when an unhappy buyer wants to return something that you will refund without return.

Which is scary. I wouldn't do it if I were selling in some high fraud/high value categories like electronics, dolls, sportscards, coins, or horse tack.

That is where Cookie Jar Insurance comes in if you are in a low fraud category.

And I will now shut up because as noted, this is a zombie thread and really should have its own new thread.

Message 59 of 60
latest reply

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 60 of 60
latest reply