No Tracked Packet CDN shipping option?

Hello everyone,

I am a first time seller on Ebay and I am having a bit of trouble with filling out the shipping options.

In the dropdown box for "Service", there's either Regular Packet or Expedited Parcel, there is no option for Tracked Packet.

Or am I doing this wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: No Tracked Packet CDN shipping option?

Tracked Packet is an International only service.

Anything shipped within Canada that is too big for LetterMail must go via Expedited or Xpresspost. "Regular Parcel" is just the retail; version of Expedited and should not be used.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Thank you.

I am trying to sell a CD to Canada/US but I also want some assurance that the package will be received (although shipping rates are outrageous).
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

@vitessewolf2 wrote:
Thank you.

I am trying to sell a CD to Canada/US but I also want some assurance that the package will be received (although shipping rates are outrageous).

You are wasting money tracking a cd (unless it`s an exceptional valuable one). Canada Post Lettermail within Canada and Small Packet or Light Packet to the USA.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@vitessewolf2 wrote:
Thank you.

You are wasting money tracking a cd (unless it`s an exceptional valuable one). Canada Post Lettermail within Canada and Small Packet or Light Packet to the USA.

The only times I ever opt for tracking is to the US over 500 grams on expensive widgets as it only costs me $1 extra. Other than that, tracking and insurance are a massive waste of your profits. Excluding Mexico, and a few other dodgy countries, I lose about 1 (one) parcel out of a 1000 (thousand).

Someone go prod Femme for her dissertation on cookie jar insurance.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Oh , Mr. E. I really do have stuff to do today--- the blackberries are ripe in Uplands Park and there are no reports of cougars there this summer.

Cookie Jar Insurance is self-insurance.

You add a small amount, a few pennies rarely more than a dime, to every asking price and when the item sells, you put those virtural pennies in a virtual Cookie Jar.

If you get a complaint of non-delivery or damage in transit, you take the amount of the original payment out of the Cookie Jar and pay the complainant.

And you do this BEFORE the customer goes to eBay or Paypal or her credit card for restitution.

Don't Panic!

Complaints are rare. More rare in some categories (like books or auto parts) than in others (jewelry or sportscards) and even more rare as your experience/trustworthiness/feedback increases.

Most sellers find they actually make money on those Cookie Jar premiums, just like the 'real' insurance companies.

This doesn't mean you are a doormat.

You are allowed to ask for some proof of damage. Photos are fine.

You are allowed to ask that the item be returned before refunding.

In fact, no refund without return should be your motto.

EBay would demand this of a complaining buyer and make you pay for it. (Paypal makes the buyer pay for return postage.)

And you are not required to pay return postage if its a case of Buyer Remorse, or if the buyer significantly changed the item.

So if you sold a copy of Thriller by Michael Jackson, but the buyer got  copy of The Muckin' o' Geordie's Byre by Andy Stewart. you are responsible.

But if your customer is complaining that the red sweater you sold is scarlet and not cherry, he is responsible.

And now I've my long sleeved shirt and basket ready to brave the thorns...  So here's a wee song for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XgMxKP_Jcs

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Oh bloody hell, Mr. E. I really do have stuff to do today--- the blackberries are ripe in Uplands Park and there are no reports of cougars there this summer.

Cookie Jar Insurance is self-insurance.

You add a small amount, a few pennies rarely more than a dime, to every asking price and when the item sells, you put those virtural pennies in a virtual Cookie Jar.

If you get a complaint of non-delivery or damage in transit, you take the amount of the original payment out of the Cookie Jar and pay the complainant.

And you do this BEFORE the customer goes to eBay or Paypal or her credit card for restitution.

Don't Panic!

Complaints are rare. More rare in some categories (like books or auto parts) than in others (jewelry or sportscards) and even more rare as your experience/trustworthiness/feedback increases.

Most sellers find they actually make money on those Cookie Jar premiums, just like the 'real' insurance companies.

This doesn't mean you are a doormat.

You are allowed to ask for some proof of damage. Photos are fine.

You are allowed to ask that the item be returned before refunding.

In fact, no refund without return should be your motto.

EBay would demand this of a complaining buyer and make you pay for it. (Paypal makes the buyer pay for return postage.)

And you are not required to pay return postage if its a case of Buyer Remorse, or if the buyer significantly changed the item.

So if you sold a copy of Thriller by Michael Jackson, but the buyer got  copy of The Muckin' o' Geordie's Byre by Andy Stewart. you are responsible.

But if your customer is complaining that the red sweater you sold is scarlet and not cherry, he is responsible.

And now I've my long sleeved shirt and basket ready to brave the thorns...  So here's a wee song for you.

I'm dying over here.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Ditto - muckin' o' my computer.  Give a warning prior to viewing this youtube, lol.

And now I've my long sleeved shirt and basket ready to brave the thorns... So here's a wee song for you.

I'm dying over here.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@lucitabby wrote:

Ditto - muckin' o' my computer.  Give a warning prior to viewing this youtube, lol.

And now I've my long sleeved shirt and basket ready to brave the thorns... So here's a wee song for you.

I'm dying over here.

Aye, what colour would that be? Aye, it be plaid.

Oddly enough, my first names are Andrew Stewart. I actually use "Stu" most of the time. A long story.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Hi I sell CD's so you should take a look at how I have set up my shipping.  Sending a CD in Canada should only cost $2.95 plus .15 equaling $3.10.  To the US it would be $5.70.  The only stipulation is that is fits through a 20 ml slot. 

You can buy one like this or make your own.  I bought one 15 years ago from the PO but they don't sell them anymore. mail slot.JPG

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

You can make one like this:  Go to the PO and trace out the slot on a piece of cardboard and cut it out.

fauxpo1.jpg

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

You can make one like this:  Go to the PO and trace out the slot on a piece of cardboard and cut it out.

fauxpo1.jpg

OMG the "property of the faux post office" made me laugh!!!!

PS You can buy the real ones somewhere can't remember if they are from the PO or a third party......

(My PO got me one years ago, I'm in a weee village and they appreciate the "eBay guy")

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

You can still buy the lettermail template on-line.  Simply register with the Canada Post Online Business Center and search for:

Product # 540008029 - $9.20

I paid about $18.00 several years ago.  It's a very sturdy item.  I don't know if the price has simply come down or whether it's a cheaper version.

And, of course, you can always make one.

Lettermail Template.png

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

I have a real one too, got mine many years ago.  I don't think that they sell them anymore, there was one seller on ebay selling them and in a small town, you might be able to get the postal outlet to order you one. 

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

I have a real one as well.

I was given mine when my PO got a new one.

Good customers get stuff.

Photobucket
Message 15 of 20
latest reply

Got mine from a post office outlet, when they got a new one.

Still have it.......

It pays to be a Nice guy.... We shall form a club of Nice Guys

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Can I join too? But it needs to be for Nice Guys & Gals! Got mine years ago from my PO too. At one time I think you could buy them from Canada Post if you were a VentureOne/ Small Business customer.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

You can still buy this through the Canada Post Online Business Center.  I'm not sure if you have to be a Venture One customer.

Product # 540008029 - $9.20

I bought mine a few years ago and I paid about $18.00.  It's a  very sturdy one.  I don't know if the price has come down or if this isn't the same quality.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

They are the same as several years back. I stepped on and broke my old one and recently replaced it. Price is plus tax but shipping is free.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

You and me both. There is currently no options to choose "tracked packet" when listing from Canada to Canada destination. However, there is this option if you are shipping from Canada to the USA. 

1 of several head scratchers from eBay.

What I personally do, is I make it very clear in the product description page that

::: TRACKING INCLUDED :::

Or, if I want to list the shipping fees very low, I will add in the description "Tracking is available per request. Please email me to let me know you want your item tracked and I will add $10-$20 to the shipping fee, depending on your location"

If an item sells for greater than $30, I will contact the buyer and highly recommend they pay for tracking because I will NOT refund them for "no show" item, since I canot confirm whether they actually recieved it.

I hope this helps.

Tomas @ Hansen's Sports Cards (eBay)

Message 20 of 20
latest reply