Pictures - Lighting

I'm curious, does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap lighting setup or light box they use to take pictures?

I've moved recently and where I take pictures now casts an awful shadow that I can't do anything about so was lookng at options but know very little. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Pictures - Lighting

Here is a website on taking pictures for eBay by Camera Jim an eBay USA seller and photograph expert USA forum helper years ago. Old web site but tips and workarounds are still valid today. I discovered the site when I started selling in 2010 on another eBay iD. Please read and post your review for others in the future to find and read. 

http://www.sigma-2.com/camerajim/

Look at Basic Lighting Techniques to start. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Pictures - Lighting

I keep a table near a large window (the side the sun shines through) and a standing lamp right next to it for extra lighting. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

I'll be interested to hear how everyone else is set up.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Pictures - Lighting

byto253
Community Member

Not lighting specifically but this is cheap and bounces light well.  Dollar store tri-fold display board for $2, a couple of sheets of white bristol for at 2 for $1 for a bottom (or go fancy with $1.50 foamboard).   Use a sheet of bristol and bit of tape to make a sweep for smaller items.  Paper clips of different size on the folds at the top to control how open you want the tri-fold to open. 

PXL_20210209_163031401.jpg

PXL_20210209_162758314.jpg

PXL_20210209_162719858.jpg

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Pictures - Lighting

It's very thorough but i'm looking for more specific product recomendations.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Pictures - Lighting

@byto253 wrote:

Not lighting specifically but this is cheap and bounces light well.  Dollar store tri-fold display board for $2, a couple of sheets of white bristol for at 2 for $1 for a bottom (or go fancy with $1.50 foamboard).   Use a sheet of bristol and bit of tape to make a sweep for smaller items.  Paper clips of different size on the folds at the top to control how open you want the tri-fold to open. 

Interesting. I use a white flannel sheet for the background. I tried to buy a lighting box from Wish but they underestimated the demand and I was the one refunded without product. My local dollar stores don't have this item sadly.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Pictures - Lighting

It is Dollar Rama that has them here.  I didn't think you could go anywhere in Canada anymore without having their stores 🙂  They are like TImmies here, one every few blocks!!!

Instead of the tri-fold, a sheet of white bristol board as backing works well.   I found the real pain was finding light bulbs that did not make things yellow and were bright enough.  I ended up with 15 w LEDs designated as Daylight.  I have two lights so one from each side that I move around depending on item.

Best of luck with a set-up, it takes some trial and error to find what works for you. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Pictures - Lighting

LED lighting can be a great solution if you're looking for a cheap lighting setup or light box for taking pictures. LED lights are affordable, energy-efficient, and provide consistent lighting.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Pictures - Lighting

I have the Amazon Basics lightbox along with a few floor lamps (with the poseable side lights) that have daylight led bulbs to augment the built-in lighting. I'd love to make myself a custom solution, but this is working well for the time being. For larger items I have a thick white sheet tacked to the wall which drapes over a counter. It's beside the lightbox, so I just point the floor lamps at it when I need the lighting there. It's not perfect, but it works well enough.

Honestly, the I think the biggest thing you can do is have a good photo app that allows you to control white balance, especially if shooting on a white background. Newer phones do a really good job trying to control white balance in 99% of the scenes you'd use them for in normal life, but they're not designed to be shooting on pure white. I find they automatically adjust and the background comes out light grey no matter how much light you shine at them. I use an app called ProCamera (by Cocologics) which allows me to control the white balance, exposure, etc such that they work really well with my setup. Once you get the hang of it, you usually come away with nice looking, clean pictures that require nothing extra to be done to them. Once in a while you run into a problem item where eliminating the off-white background in this way would overexpose the photo too much, but not very often.

The other thing I do personally is not worry about a little bit of shadow around the item. If you get it right, the photos still look great but it sets them apart from the actual company's product photos which makes it more clear that the pictures belong to the actual item you're selling.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Pictures - Lighting

FWIW - flat things like books and DVDs can be scanned more easily than photographed.

I agree with @flipistics  a small shadow or other "personal " touch is an easy way to reassure the customer that you really do have the product in your hands ready to ship.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Pictures - Lighting

@needsmorerobots wrote:

@byto253 wrote:

Interesting. I use a white flannel sheet for the background. I tried to buy a lighting box from Wish but they underestimated the demand and I was the one refunded without product. My local dollar stores don't have this item sadly.

Dollar Tree and Walmart also carry the display board and foam board. And don't forget to check Staples although they are more expensive.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply