Questions about selling directly through PayPal

loumonti0
Community Member

Hello everyone, first time seller here.

I have received and accepted an offer from a buyer on an item.

When it came to the payment, the buyer wants to pay me directly through PayPal, instead of paying me through the regular eBay solution. Could someone explain if this is a safe method for selling?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Questions about selling directly through PayPal

SCAM!!

You will get what appears to be an email from PP telling you to ship. There will be no money in your PP account. You will ship. You will complain to eBay, which you had been persuaded not to use. You will complain to Paypal which will point out that you did not get any money from them. You will never see your item or your money again.

Thank you for being smart enough to ask about this.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@loumonti0 

Hello, it's against eBay policy to get in touch with a buyer outside eBay plateform. Those are suspicious buyers and they are aiming new sellers accounts to get some of their personal informations as PP email address or Phone Numbers. 

Report the buyer to eBay customer service, they will make sure to assist you cancel this order and relist.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

SCAM!!

You will get what appears to be an email from PP telling you to ship. There will be no money in your PP account. You will ship. You will complain to eBay, which you had been persuaded not to use. You will complain to Paypal which will point out that you did not get any money from them. You will never see your item or your money again.

Thank you for being smart enough to ask about this.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@loumonti0

Just in case it hasn't sunk in............

You are being set up for a scam!

Unless you are doing a local pickup sale there is no legitimate reason for a buyer to pay you outside of eBay, there is no legitimate reason a buyer would need your PayPal information even on a pick-up order.

Do not continue to have any interaction with this "buyer".

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

loumonti0
Community Member

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for answering me so quickly!

It did sound fishy to me hahaha.
I will make sure to report them both on PayPal and eBay.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Offering to buy or sell outside of eBay is not allowed.

Buyers and sellers also can't share contact information, including email addresses and phone numbers, prior to completing a transaction on eBay.

Obviously you haven't read eBay's policy, so here it is:

Offering to buy or sell outside of eBay policy

You should discontinue your communication with the buyer and report the buyer.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Just happened to me and they kept bullying me to set up paypal. Told them absolutely not and to pay through the website as it’s more secure. And then I reported them. People will fall for this stuff. But fortunately I’m not one of them lol
Message 7 of 7
latest reply