Relist bug, the ORIGINAL start date is somehow partially brought over to the new item...

I was very confused this morning why only 3 of the large number of lots I re-listed last night showed up in the "newly listed" query I ran (because it is causing me problems elsewhere). Sell similars did not have this problem or so it seems, I will have to experiment with that when the chance next arrives.

Finally I discovered that whilst the new start date (May 11) shows in the item listing itself, when the item is brought up via search, it shows in the search results the original start date (Sept 16) but still says "Newly Listed". 

So this is confusing the search algorithms I expect, not sure what else it does over time.

Here is the item that sold (listed September 16):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384398051086  

Here is the relisted item (listed May 11, shows May 11 inside, Shows Sep 16 in search return by newly listed:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203947545606 

Here is a search return showing the Sept 16 date for the May 11 listed item:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=topical+hoard+motorcycles... 

velvet@ebay jasmen@ebay can you put a ticket in for this?

This is happening for items both on .CA and .COM as a note.

PS here is a link to a .CA one with the same issue, shows Mar 6 date for the May 11 created item

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/384884350211 

I didn't put in queries etc for it, if they are helpful I can add them, can add another maybe 20 items on both .CA and .COM this happened to.

It appears to have been happening for a couple weeks now based on the effects elsewhere that got me looking here.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Relist bug, the ORIGINAL start date is somehow partially brought over to the new item...

@ricarmic wrote:

I was very confused this morning why only 3 of the large number of lots I listed last night showed up in the "newly listed" query I ran (because it is causing me problems elsewhere).

Finally I discovered that whilst the new start date (May 11) shows in the item listing itself, when the item is brought up via search, it shows the original start date (Sept 16) but still says "Newly Listed". 

So this is confusing the search algorithms I expect, not sure what else it does over time.

Here is the item that sold (listed September 16):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384398051086  

Here is the relisted item (listed May 11, shows May 11 inside, Shows Sep 16 in search return by newly listed:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203947545606 

Here is a search return showing the Sept 16 date for the May 11 listed item:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=topical+hoard+motorcycles... 

velvet@ebay jasmen@ebay can you put a ticket in for this?

This is happening for items both on .CA and .COM as a note.

PS here is a link to a .CA one with the same issue, shows Mar 6 date for the May 11 created item

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/384884350211 

I didn't put in queries etc for it, if they are helpful I can add them, can add another maybe 20 items on both .CA and .COM this happened to.

It appears to have been happening for a couple weeks now based on the effects elsewhere that got me looking here.

Not sure exactly where/how that info figures in but as of late start day/end date does not show up from a buyers perspective on listings. (See other listings...Dates do show with Store View). 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/200598831710

Views only show from sellers options.  I believe there are a few other discussions on the topic regarding searching listings by age/vs new listings. The go to seems to be removing information from listings that buyers/sellers have relied on for years.....guessing in the sake of saving bandwidth/loadtime for the app. How you search really can affect what listings do display and how.

-Lotz

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Community-eBay-Site-Issues/Newly-listed-search-BUG/m-p/478879#M6150

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Yes that is the same problem as what I've noticed.

The fact that two different start dates are showing "inside" vs "outside" isn't good, that will confound queries I suspect, it certainly does the newly listed ones, it doesn't seem to for best match results, in fact in some queries the Motorcycles one comes up with May 11 inside and outside which is even more confusing.

The fact that "newly listed" doesn't work anymore because of it causes me problems elsewhere, that's what worries me the most about it.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Just an addendum that it appears to be ONLY relisting an item that causes the problem.

I've purposefully "sell similared" some now and they all show up promptly and properly in a "newly listed" query.....

So it looks like I'll have to utilize another "bug avoidance procedure*" to get things working right for my needs till the bug is fixed....

*I will simply use sell-similar to replace sold or unsold and not relisted items. I'll have to manually adjust the unsold item lists maybe or just live with having to find the "next" one in a way that takes longer now.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Hey @ricarmic I'm  happy to pass it along for sure, but looking at your first example 384398051086 was created in september but it was just reslited over and over again. When an item is reslisted like that it will carry over the original start date. If you don't want that to happen then you will need to click Sell Similar to create a new item instead of relist. 

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

jasmen@ebay  so relist does nothing to refresh a listing as to it's status in search?

-Lotz

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Hi jasmen@ebay 

Hmmm I'm not sure I understand. Inside the actual listing it shows May 11th, SOME queries seem to show it as May 11th "outside". Newly listed queries seems to always show it as September 16th on the outside, still May 11 on the inside.

I've "always" used relist for similar sold items, and I have a lot of them. Traditionally when I need to go back and check something if I do a "newly listed" all of them were in order.

Now they are not. All the "newly listed" are in the query, but they are scattered over the course of a year, I have a lot of items so newly listed doesn't work to show the latest anymore. That is new.

So sometime in the recent past, this has changed. The thing that was "broken" that led me to this discovery is less than a month old, so I think something changed about how relist is marking items.

Just as clarification 384398051086 is the item that sold, and 203947545606 is the relist of it ie the replacement of it (all I have to do is change the pictures and let them go again). This process I've been doing since I quit using Turbolister many years ago.

Certainly the sell similar solves my problem(s) so I guess in the end I don't care, but I am very sure something is different in how they're being presented now from a few weeks ago.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

jasmen@ebay 

Ricarmic is not referring to a gtc listing that relists each  month.  This item sold so it had ended.  He relisted it manually and  now has a new item number. But it is showing the original starting date of the previous listing that ended.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Hey @pjcdn2005  even if they are relisting it manually it will show the orginal start date. The only time it will change is if they click sell similar instead. 

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies Correct, but if you have watchers on the item it will notify them that your item was relsited. 

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Hi jasmen@ebay 

Do you mean inside or outside?

The relisted items inside the item show the new correct start date.

The same relisted items show a different "original" start date "outside" when queried using "Newly Listed"

PS I am not 100% sure, but it looks like the "original" start date isn't the real original start date it is simply the "last" start date...the motorcycles one as an example has been relisted many times Sept 16 is the date it was "last relisted" before May 11.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@ricarmic it all can depend on how old the original listing is, the only way to gaurentee showing the newest listing date is if you click sell similar. When you continusly relist an older item it will always show an older date on the "outside". The good thing about relisting is that it will notify any watchers on that item. 

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

Hi jasmen@ebay 

Do you mean inside or outside?

The relisted items inside the item show the new correct start date.

The same relisted items show a different "original" start date "outside" when queried using "Newly Listed"

PS I am not 100% sure, but it looks like the "original" start date isn't the real original start date it is simply the "last" start date...the motorcycles one as an example has been relisted many times Sept 16 is the date it was "last relisted" before May 11.

jasmen@ebay  

@ricarmic 

To ask in another way if you use relist and make changes it is still considered to be the old listing?

In the past when you checked a listings revisions it showed what the revision was? Now it just shows a revision was made and the date.

This morning I am seeing the following message:

We changed how we count and report listing page views. Views shown on this page are for the past 30 days.

If the relisted listing has the old date shouldn't it include the total view count? As for  the Total Views, they appear to be no longer visible to perspective customersin both formats. (It's missing in store view but is visible from listing view).  Because of all this accumulative recent tinkering it is muddying up the history that is attached to a listing and illiminating(corrupting) information sellers and buyers were able to rely on because they don't see the same information with all viewing techniques.

-Lotz

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

jasmen@ebay  PJC PM'd me and it raised a point that is probably causing confusion.

The "inside" date that I'm referring to is the start date inside my own listing when I look at it (whilst signed in). I hadn't thought about the fact that others can't see it.

Jasmen, I'm not sure if you can see that date via your "special powers" but that date does not match the "outside" date displayed when doing newly listed queries (that everyone can see).

Hopefully this helps and apologies regarding the extra confusion I'm sure this caused.....

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

jasmen@ebay wrote:

Hey @pjcdn2005  even if they are relisting it manually it will show the orginal start date. The only time it will change is if they click sell similar instead. 

Is this something new? I'm sure that it hasn't worked like that in the past.  

Message 15 of 24
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

Is this something new? I'm sure that it hasn't worked like that in the past.  

Hey guys. Thought I'd chime in with some info from the .com site. This is happening on .com, too. I've seen a  few discussions about it in the last two weeks, including this one that has the OP's help request number with CS:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-eBay-Technical-Issues/Relist-Date-BUG-in-search-results-by-Time-... 

If jasmen@ebay posts about this being the way it's supposed to work are correct then it's a new change. Right now everybody believes it to be a bug. I'll quote what one poster said on that discussion:

I noticed exactly the same thing starting for me on 30Apr2022! I often use relist and verify that my relisted items are showing as newly/recently listed. I don't use relist every day, but often enough that I noticed!

I also witnessed the same behavior about two months ago but never reported anything. Then about a month later it was back to the way it used to be, so I breathed a sigh of relief that perhaps this wasn't intentional by eBay.

Now the undesired behavior seems to be back!

Here's another discussion about it: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/My-listings-are-being-suppressed-again/m-p/32904138#M1993030 

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@ricarmic 

Here are all the specifics regarding listing views from dot ca spring announcement.

Listing page views overview

We’re updating to a more accurate way of counting listing page views

Having the right data at your fingertips is key to getting your listings to perform at their best. To give you clearer insight into your listings’ performance, we’re changing to a more accurate way of counting page views, and updating how we display traffic data on your listings.

• We’re updating how we count listing page views to more accurately capture views by potential buyers.
  • To give you cleaner performance data, we’ll now show a 30-day rolling count of listing views instead of a lifetime count.
  • You’ll still be able to access data for the past 2 years in a new listing traffic history report.

More accurate listing view counts

We want you to have listing traffic data that shows as accurately as possible how many buyers have seen your listings. That’s why, in late April 2022, we’ll be updating how we count and report listing page views.

The current page view numbers on your listings count various types of traffic, including a significant amount of non-human traffic—one example is programs called “bots” that scan websites and now account for approximately 40% of internet traffic.* Learn more about non-human traffic and bots in the Listing Page Views FAQs tab.

Although this non-human traffic is currently counted as a “page view,” it doesn’t represent real shoppers or lead to sales, and recent analysis has shown how much it inflates your page view numbers.

As part of eBay’s continual efforts to bring you better data to run your business, we’re updating to a new way of counting page views that will better filter out non-human traffic and more accurately show views by potential buyers.

While the amount of non-human traffic on the internet is considerable, it also varies across categories and products. As a result, while most sellers will see a significant drop in page view numbers, the impact of filtering out more non-human traffic may vary. Importantly, the actual traffic from potential buyers to listings isn’t changing. We’re just updating what types of traffic we count as page views to more accurately show views by potential buyers.

Page view counts based on this approach have been available in the Seller Hub Traffic Report and Promoted Listings reports for some time. The changes outlined above will increase the consistency of how page views are counted and displayed across eBay.

*Statista, Global share of human and bot web traffic 2019-2020.

Lifetime views are switching to a 30-day rolling view count

Your listings currently display lifetime views, which leaves out important information about recent performance trends. Starting soon, we’ll be adjusting your page views to show a rolling 30-day count. We’re also adding a new listing traffic history report, where you can access page view data for the previous 2 years.

This updated 30-day view count makes it easier to see trends as they’re happening and adjust your listings to perform at their best.

A new listing traffic history report

30-day rolling data makes it easier to spot trends and optimize listings. However, we know some sellers prefer to have data that spans a longer period, so a new listing traffic history report will show the past 2 years of view counts for each listing.

The new report will show a breakdown of views, including trends over time, for each individual listing. You’ll be able to filter for page views over various timeframes, from the past 24 hours up to the past 2 years. You can see an example of the new listing traffic history report in the screenshot below.

Starting soon, you’ll be able to access this new report by clicking the page view numbers on your Active Listings page.

Next steps

You don’t need to take any action. In late April, we’ll start rolling out the new way of counting page views. When your listings are ready to be updated to the new page view counts, you’ll see notifications on your Active and Unsold listings pages.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@ricarmic 

Here are all the specifics regarding listing views from dot ca spring announcement.

Listing page views overview

We’re updating to a more accurate way of counting listing page views

Having the right data at your fingertips is key to getting your listings to perform at their best. To give you clearer insight into your listings’ performance, we’re changing to a more accurate way of counting page views, and updating how we display traffic data on your listings.

• We’re updating how we count listing page views to more accurately capture views by potential buyers.
  • To give you cleaner performance data, we’ll now show a 30-day rolling count of listing views instead of a lifetime count.
  • You’ll still be able to access data for the past 2 years in a new listing traffic history report.

More accurate listing view counts

We want you to have listing traffic data that shows as accurately as possible how many buyers have seen your listings. That’s why, in late April 2022, we’ll be updating how we count and report listing page views.

The current page view numbers on your listings count various types of traffic, including a significant amount of non-human traffic—one example is programs called “bots” that scan websites and now account for approximately 40% of internet traffic.* Learn more about non-human traffic and bots in the Listing Page Views FAQs tab.

Although this non-human traffic is currently counted as a “page view,” it doesn’t represent real shoppers or lead to sales, and recent analysis has shown how much it inflates your page view numbers.

As part of eBay’s continual efforts to bring you better data to run your business, we’re updating to a new way of counting page views that will better filter out non-human traffic and more accurately show views by potential buyers.

While the amount of non-human traffic on the internet is considerable, it also varies across categories and products. As a result, while most sellers will see a significant drop in page view numbers, the impact of filtering out more non-human traffic may vary. Importantly, the actual traffic from potential buyers to listings isn’t changing. We’re just updating what types of traffic we count as page views to more accurately show views by potential buyers.

Page view counts based on this approach have been available in the Seller Hub Traffic Report and Promoted Listings reports for some time. The changes outlined above will increase the consistency of how page views are counted and displayed across eBay.

*Statista, Global share of human and bot web traffic 2019-2020.

Lifetime views are switching to a 30-day rolling view count

Your listings currently display lifetime views, which leaves out important information about recent performance trends. Starting soon, we’ll be adjusting your page views to show a rolling 30-day count. We’re also adding a new listing traffic history report, where you can access page view data for the previous 2 years.

This updated 30-day view count makes it easier to see trends as they’re happening and adjust your listings to perform at their best.

A new listing traffic history report

30-day rolling data makes it easier to spot trends and optimize listings. However, we know some sellers prefer to have data that spans a longer period, so a new listing traffic history report will show the past 2 years of view counts for each listing.

The new report will show a breakdown of views, including trends over time, for each individual listing. You’ll be able to filter for page views over various timeframes, from the past 24 hours up to the past 2 years. You can see an example of the new listing traffic history report in the screenshot below.

Starting soon, you’ll be able to access this new report by clicking the page view numbers on your Active Listings page.

Next steps

You don’t need to take any action. In late April, we’ll start rolling out the new way of counting page views. When your listings are ready to be updated to the new page view counts, you’ll see notifications on your Active and Unsold listings pages.

In doing a deeper dive on the subject, from sellers hub active listing if you click on each listing(view counter) you can see details on the views attached and can change date frame. Unfortuately only can do 1 at a time. 

The total is what I used in the past as a judgment if I listing needed to be refreshed with sell similar. Now that the total is missing it takes more work to confirm.

In checking a listing created in Aug 2020 I was able to determine majority of view were when listing was first created. Since then....not so much. Low value item so listing was not promoted.

-Lotz

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Here's another discussion: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/My-new-listed-or-relisted-items-not-showing-up/m-p/32898367#M1...

I think there were a couple more. If I come accross them I'll post the links here.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

This is going to possibly be problematic, resulting in duplicate listings and all the issues that come with them. (The system doesn't always 'catch' the duplicates)

Message 20 of 24
latest reply