Return label to USA

nornor5084
Community Member
So long story short I sold a small compact camera .
paid 15 ca for shipping to buyer a few days after delivery buyer open a case and advise it was not working as described and that they wanted to return it I accepted request. I said now what as I never sent a return label to USA.
So I advise buyer I have no idea how to send a label and am thinking eBay wants me to tell buyer to send it normal way so advise the buyer. And I was planning on reimbursed the buyer.
But then eBay advised me that the return label was sent to buyer so am like ohh the buyer reply got it. So am thinking ok buyer got label just waiting on return.
Now they hit me with bill of 55.10 usd
for shipping it back and advising me it’s my responsibility to send them that money back that’s almost 80 canada for small camera with no charger ? Am very confused
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Return label to USA

Over on the Community Chat thread, devon@ebay  has responded to part of your question. He doesn't believe eBay will/can send a US buyer a return shipping label for a Canadian/ international seller.

If devon@ebay doesn't get in touch, I'd ask one of the Social Media Chat reps what the money was actually for.

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Tracked international shipping is very expensive.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

I suspect your customer used Priority International shipping, because that is at the top of the list.

What could be used is First Class International Package, which is much cheaper and includes tracking, but is at the bottom of the list.

This is a learning experience. Everyone hates those.

Shipping is the hardest part of selling online.

Use your Solutions for Small Business number to sign up for a Shippo account.

We can buy USPS labels through Shippo.  I've done it so it must be easy.

BTW, when we send a Return Shipping Label, the claim often ends right there, because the US scammer does not realize we can buy USPS labels.

If the customer does not use the label, eventually it will be refunded.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Yes it too late sadly I can’t refund 100 ca for item that weighs only 650grams. So offer. Less amount has I paid to send it no reply. My hands are tie and am trying to do the right thing.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Are you sure that ebay sent a label to the buyer. If so, that's something new as they never used to send return labels unless both seller and buyer were in the US.  Was it a DHL labeland ebay was the one that billed you $55.10? 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

The weight and the value have nothing to do with each other.

For examples: https://stampauctionnetwork.com/ik/ik251.cfm

Shipping is hard.

You also have the option to refund without demanding the return.😩 Not something most sellers like to do, but it is possible.

Not every transaction will go perfectly.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

No buyer ship it out of there own pocket also without confirming it with me just paid 55.10 usd
And then try force me to pay for it back but eBay has advise me this is between me and buyer not them cause the buyer did not use the eBay return label.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Over on the Community Chat thread, devon@ebay  has responded to part of your question. He doesn't believe eBay will/can send a US buyer a return shipping label for a Canadian/ international seller.

If devon@ebay doesn't get in touch, I'd ask one of the Social Media Chat reps what the money was actually for.

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@nornor5084 wrote:
No buyer ship it out of there own pocket also without confirming it with me just paid 55.10 usd
And then try force me to pay for it back but eBay has advise me this is between me and buyer not them cause the buyer did not use the eBay return label.

@nornor5084 

devon@ebay  This is the discussion in question. It appears the buyer (on their own) purchased a return label using a premium service and now wants to be credited. The original shipping from Canada was 20.00 downgraded to 15.00. The rates between countries rarely are similar but 50 USD seems excessive. How should the seller proceed in this case.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

$50 was probably for a Priority label.  The item probably could have been sent first class which is why it's important for a seller who is paying for the label to either provide one, or do some research first to let the buyer know which service they should send it back with.  Then the seller can provide the money up front.  

If a seller tells the buyer to send it back without specifying a service the buyer is not required to use the least expensive service. Many buyers have no idea which is the least expensive service anyway.  That's why it is important to be proactive,  

I do think that eBay needs to give more guidance or be more specific on exactly how an international return should be handled as both sellers and buyers are often confused about what  to do.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

$50 was probably for a Priority label.  The item probably could have been sent first class which is why it's important for a seller who is paying for the label to either provide one, or do some research first to let the buyer know which service they should send it back with.  Then the seller can provide the money up front.  

If a seller tells the buyer to send it back without specifying a service the buyer is not required to use the least expensive service. Many buyers have no idea which is the least expensive service anyway.  That's why it is important to be proactive,  

I do think that eBay needs to give more guidance or be more specific on exactly how an international return should be handled as both sellers and buyers are often confused about what  to do.

One would have thought some common sense would have kicked in on the part of the buyer. Take a parcel to post office after paying 15 Canadian and then buy a return label for 50 USD. Just takes a second to ask what other options are there. 50.00 seemed very excessive. My personal response would have been to check with the seller before proceeding. The seller has tried to contact the buyer by various means and has had no luck. Ebay CS has been little help. As for eBay prescribing that sellers need to be on the hook for tracked shipping when something was sent with a non premium service is just unreasonable/unfair. (In the cases of low value items).

As for the sending back of funds in examples of items arriving late shouldn't eBay been proactive and provided buyers a way to forward(return) funds within eBay vs tough noogies on you seller. Even worse when tracking confirms buyer has goods. Fortunately there are still honest buyers out there who would like to do the right thing.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@nornor5084 wrote:

@nornor5084 

devon@ebay  This is the discussion in question. It appears the buyer (on their own) purchased a return label using a premium service and now wants to be credited. The original shipping from Canada was 20.00 downgraded to 15.00. The rates between countries rarely are similar but 50 USD seems excessive. How should the seller proceed in this case.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! For instances like this, we would only require the sellers to refund the actual amount of the total sale. If a buyer purchases their own return shipping label before an agreement was made on how the return would be handled, then any compensation a seller would be willing to give a buyer would be up to the seller. eBay would not require the seller to cover the buyers cost of the return shipping label in this specific scenario that @nornor5084 is describing. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@nornor5084 

devon@ebay 

Now they hit me with bill of 55.10 usd
for shipping it back and advising me it’s my responsibility

Who is "they" in this sentence?

EBay or the buyer?

Pronouns are important!

Devon is telling us, as most of the posters suspected, that eBay does not and cannot provide Return Shipping Labels when the buyer and seller are in different countries.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply