Return policy

Check your return policy.  All my listings now show "no returns accepted".  I only noticed because I revised shipping cost on a listing.  If the return policy is a forced min. 30 days ( with few exceptions), it should have been changed to show that.  It seems, regardless of what we put in the listings, ebay will override it.  Those with many listings will have to spend time revising.  

Aside it appears the views and watchers are back, sort of.  Some show, but they haven't changed for days, so I don't see the relevance any more.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Return policy

Hmmmm this is interesting.

Since they've changed the format that there are both "domestic" and "international" returns boxes, and domestic is automagically checked (at least when I'm doing my sell similars) I had been leaving the international returns accepted box NOT checked.

My assumption was that "domestic" = Canada on .CA and domestic = USA on .COM

Well that is not true, it seems domestic = Canada on either site because I'm in Canada.

(which is different than what "domestic" means in the shipping charges section when comparing .CA to .COM!!)

When I look at a .CA and .COM item, all say 30 day returns for me if I'm Canadian, anything else says no returns accepted.

So it looks like I'm going to have to remember to check the international one too going forward now....that's too bad I was happy to make it less likely there would be overseas requests for returns (touching wood I don't think I've ever had one so far anyway).

It is a good thing you posted this, otherwise I never would have checked mine.....

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Return policy

Sigh, I'm in US not Canada but I guess I should check what mine say as well.

I really wish they'd use the same verbiage/criteria rather than one thing one place and another in yet another place.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Return policy

@ricarmic wrote:

Since they've changed the format that there are both "domestic" and "international" returns boxes, and domestic is automagically checked (at least when I'm doing my sell similars) I had been leaving the international returns accepted box NOT checked. 

Yep. This was done for .com so sellers offering free returns had a way to limit that to US only given the disparity between domestic costs and international costs. This policy was really geared towards products sold at US domestic first class shipping rates or high margin categories. The 14 day option is gone for most categories as well so many will need to address that.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Return policy

Actually I think it was done for sellers across most countries not just US sellers. I personally never offered international shipping because I wanted to keep free domestic returns but free returns internationally would be forced and I never shipped internationally as direct a result of that.

Now since this change took place, I began doing international shipments and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Return policy

You might want to check your settings.  I just see one item that ships to the US -item 192330107295 - and it has free returns for both the US and Canada.  

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Return policy

Thank you so much for pointing that out. I added 2 listings to international shipping and when I did about a 1-2 weeks ago I was sure to put buyer return shipping for international.

eBay has decided to change it so that's just fantastic on eBay's part.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Return policy

I became aware of something similar the other week.
All my listings had been set at 30 days buyer pays return shipping. After the change the domestic settings were fine but international was set to no returns.

Luckily rhe return settings are something the bulk editor can be relied on to handle. So within a few minutes I had all listings updated to 30 days buyer pays return shipping across the world.

Prior to updating the return policy sales had been in a funk for several weeks, after the change was made sales have returned to their normal pattern. Coincidence?
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Return policy

I also have noticed a significant increase in views for the items I've been listing with returns domestic and international as opposed to earlier when it had international as no (which includes the US to us Canadians).

So it did make a significant difference and I am so glad this was posted here!!!

Goes to prove time spent on these boards can be cost effective!!!!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Return policy

@hlmacdon wrote:

@ricarmic wrote:

Yep. This was done for .com so sellers offering free returns had a way to limit that to US only given the disparity between domestic costs and international costs. This policy was really geared towards products sold at US domestic first class shipping rates or high margin categories. The 14 day option is gone for most categories as well so many will need to address that.

Hopefully they (ebay that is) will also address the fact that even in eligible categories the drop downs are only showing 30 & 60 days. They removed 14 days from even the categories where it can still be used. Bad coding or working as intended?

Message 10 of 10
latest reply