Returns and GSP

If an item is  returned due to being faulty  does the GSP refund the customs and shipping charged to the buyer?

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Returns and GSP

I disagree. A Cancel Order request is easy to make. Buyers make them all the time. Also, there is no ‘roping in’ because none of those items were being offered outside the USA at all until the Global Shipping Program was applied to them. They were USA-only Listings until the GSP came along.

If you want to deride the merits of GSP, there are ample threads for that. This one is about GSP Returns, specifically.

It’s not like I’m some great lover of the GSP but I find it frustrating that so much posted about it is factually incorrect.
Message 21 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

The purpose of my post wasn't to "deride" the GSP.

I was pointing out that your statement above that  "eBay would not develop, facilitate and promote a program that leaves its buyers in the lurch ""   is incorrect.

Like any business eBay will promote programs that increase their profits as long as they can get away with it.

Message 22 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

The fact that you disagree with my statement does not make your opinion a fact in and of itself. 

Message 23 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

It is your opinion that my statement "eBay would not develop, facilitate and promote a program that leaves its buyers in the lurch ""   is incorrect. 

Not a fact. 

Message 24 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

Sure.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Message 25 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

Actually tyler and happy_pigeon will probably give us the gears for having this discussion on the seller forum, when this is a buyer issue. I would still like to know the outcome of a situation such as this.

Checking out the questions asked on the buyer forum regarding the GSP and returns, It would seem the buyer is made whole.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Questions-about-the-Global-Shipping-Program/m-p/190389#M1...

Message 26 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

@amcdc79wrote:

Actually tyler and happy_pigeon will probably give us the gears for having this discussion on the seller forum, when this is a buyer issue. I would still like to know the outcome of a situation such as this.

Checking out the questions asked on the buyer forum regarding the GSP and returns, It would seem the buyer is made whole.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Questions-about-the-Global-Shipping-Program/m-p/190389#M1...

(In a nutshell, once the item reached Kentucky, if it is lost or damaged in transit, buyer is refunded the full amount).

The OP is asking about a SNAD that is NOT damage in transit (and obviously not lost).

FYI - The link you gave is to a comment from 2014......

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 27 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

2014, what a lovely year, seems like it was just yesterday. You are correct, it is a long thread that is still going. There are comments from ebay reps there, none of whom are still here, answering questions regarding SNAD as well as INR and damaged items going through the GSP.

If the policies have not changed, the current ebay reps will probably say the same thing. Now that PayPal and ebay are separate, some of the info may not apply. Hopefully we will find out the current procedure, for the buyer to follow, in order to get a full refund on a SNAD item.

Message 28 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

Hi all,

Not sure if it has already been brought up as this thread moved briskly over the weekend, but as with almost anything to do with our government (zipper_mouth), there's a form to fill out to receive a refund of duties for returned items:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/crp-prio-eng.html

As others have correctly pointed out, this wouldn't include Pitney Bowes' brokerage (program) fees. That's pretty standard for any carrier.

GSP is definitely no darling of international buyers, to be sure. Your best bet with GSP items is to either (1) if possible, find an identical item that is not sold through GSP, or (2) if that's not possible, try sending the seller a message to see if they are willing to send the package directly to you. It may not always work but it doesn't hurt to try.

We've been lobbying for raising the duty limit for some time now, and I hope that we will eventually succeed. $20 is ridiculously low, and that's the real root of the problem. I encourage anyone who feels strongly about this to contact their local Member of Parliament.

Message 29 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

Thank you.

Will completing that form work for a GSP Return? As many of us understand it, Pitney Bowes does not provide the buyer a breakdown of what portion of the fees submit is brokerage/handling to P-B and what portion of actual sales tax/import fees sent to the federal government. 

Does the buyer get a copt of the CBSA import receipt number to 'Please attach original import document'?

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b2g-eng.html

Message 30 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

Will completing that form work for a GSP Return?

No it won't work, first you would need to know the Customs Entry number assigned to PB when the shipment originally cleared Canada Customs and probably you would need a Power Of Attorney from PB and third the refund if you could get one would go back to PB's customs account.

FYI - I spent more than 20 years clearing shipments (both imports and exports) through customs at Pearson airport, various truck terminals and border crossing points.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 31 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

@happy_pigeonwrote:

Hi all,

Not sure if it has already been brought up as this thread moved briskly over the weekend, but as with almost anything to do with our government (zipper_mouth), there's a form to fill out to receive a refund of duties for returned items:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/crp-prio-eng.html

As others have correctly pointed out, this wouldn't include Pitney Bowes' brokerage (program) fees. That's pretty standard for any carrier.

GSP is definitely no darling of international buyers, to be sure. Your best bet with GSP items is to either (1) if possible, find an identical item that is not sold through GSP, or (2) if that's not possible, try sending the seller a message to see if they are willing to send the package directly to you. It may not always work but it doesn't hurt to try.

We've been lobbying for raising the duty limit for some time now, and I hope that we will eventually succeed. $20 is ridiculously low, and that's the real root of the problem. I encourage anyone who feels strongly about this to contact their local Member of Parliament.

So are you saying that PB would not return import fees and international shipping fees in the following gsp snad situation:?? (That was the original discussion)

Buyer opens return request because seller sent a plastic handbag instead of a leather handbag.

The seller approves the return, send the buyer money for shipping costs to return the item

Seller receives item back, refunds the buyer for the cost of the item and the domestic shipping cost from their location to the PB depot.   Are you saying that PB would or would not refund the rest of the money that the buyer paid to PB? 

btw In this situation the buyer could not claim anything for gst or duty because PB does not provide a breakdown of how much of the import fees paid were tax and or duty. 

Message 32 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

Thank you for the latest information, I have had to use that form when the CBSA overcharged me for duty and taxes, by not looking at the weigh bill on the outside of the box. Even though it was in front of their face, they made up a value that was very wrong.

Does this non "money back guarantee" apply to everything going through the GSP program? Snad, INR, damaged, etc?

While I do agree the duty limit is way to low, the real root of this problem, is the lack of transparency from PB, regarding their fee structure. Even if the duty limit were to be raised, there would still be fees attached, and possibly taxes.

Message 33 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

@amcdc79wrote:

Thank you for the latest information, I have had to use that form when the CBSA overcharged me for duty and taxes, by not looking at the weigh bill on the outside of the box. Even though it was in front of their face, they made up a value that was very wrong.

Does this non "money back guarantee" apply to everything going through the GSP program? Snad, INR, damaged, etc?

While I do agree the duty limit is way to low, the real root of this problem, is the lack of transparency from PB, regarding their fee structure. Even if the duty limit were to be raised, there would still be fees attached, and possibly taxes.

As I stated way back at the top..........

PB will refund their portion (shipping+taxes+handling) on INR or Damage in Transit claims ONLY!

Message 34 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

Thank you, I stand corrected.

I still think the buyer should be made whole, whenever it is not their fault.

Message 35 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

@amcdc79wrote:

Thank you, I stand corrected.

I still think the buyer should be made whole, whenever it is not their fault.

I completely agree!

This type of situation can arise in any International transaction where tax and handling fees are involved. At least with a direct transaction the person returning the item has some ability to get a refund of taxes paid and maybe the local handling charge (like Canada Posts $9.95) . For a regular consumer they probably have no clue how to do this so it once again falls on the seller to either cover the amount, handhold the buyer through the refund process or just flat out refuse and limit any snad return to the original payment plus return shipping. eBay would back you up for the later I think and I'm sure that is what has been when others have faced this situation. Sure doesn't impress buyers and certainly won't stimulate them to buy from a GSP seller again (or eBay?).

Of course if all your shipments are declared below the free limits of the destination country this particular problem doesn't happen.

Message 36 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Seller receives item back, refunds the buyer for the cost of the item and the domestic shipping cost from their location to the PB depot.   Are you saying that PB would or would not refund the rest of the money that the buyer paid to PB? 

btw In this situation the buyer could not claim anything for gst or duty because PB does not provide a breakdown of how much of the import fees paid were tax and or duty. 

Just the brokerage fee portion, I would imagine. I have not personally had to return something that came through GSP, but when I've returned items delivered via other carriers who charge brokerage fees (UPS, DHL, etc.) I know that for that portion I've generally been out of luck. And ironically it's often more expensive than the duties themselves were... unamused

Given what you say in the second paragraph, however, it makes me wonder... if they're not willing to itemize the fees they may, in fact, refund it all? Did I see someone below you saying that they do?

Message 37 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

"Did I see someone below you saying that they do?"

If the item arrives damaged with a sticker on it that says it was repacked in Kentucky, Pitney Bowes accepts responsibility for the whole transaction, absolving the seller on any responsibility, and initiates a complete refund via Paypal. But this has been the case, as far as we know, for items that have arrived damaged by coming into contact with Pitney Bowes at their GSP hub. Not defective from the start. 

I had a SNAD in the very early days of the USA Global Shipping Program where I only received one of two identical items that I bought from a seller. However, I opened my case via Paypal and had to go as far as filing a police report that showed the merit of my claim that two items could not possibly have been mailed for the price of one as the weight on the package indicated, given the publicly available data from the manufacture on the weight and size of the product. I did get ALL my money back at that point after returning the single item to the seller. But I made a massive stink. Like I say, I followed all the instructions from paypal, I don't think I opened the case via ebay at all. 

Maybe that's the advice we should be giving ebay buyers when they need to return a defective GSP purchase. Except the postage for return shipping would be borne by them and that is likely more than the import fees available to reclaim. 

Message 38 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

@happy_pigeonwrote:

@pjcdn2005wrote:

Just the brokerage fee portion, I would imagine. I have not personally had to return something that came through GSP, but when I've returned items delivered via other carriers who charge brokerage fees (UPS, DHL, etc.) I know that for that portion I've generally been out of luck. And ironically it's often more expensive than the duties themselves were... unamused

Given what you say in the second paragraph, however, it makes me wonder... if they're not willing to itemize the fees they may, in fact, refund it all? Did I see someone below you saying that they do?

Someone may have said that the buyer could collect from revenue Canada but I agree with recped that it isn't possible as PB is the importer of record and there are no import forms given out with a gsp purchase. PB definitely refunds 100% of what the buyer paid when PB is at  fault such as the item was damaged in shipping but the controversy was whether or not they refunded it all when the seller was found at fault.  I said that they do refund the monies paid to them by the buyer which are the import fees which covers various things and the international shipping fees but some disagreed and say that the buyer is out that money with a seller caused snad.  I've used the gsp a couple of times and didn't have a problem so haven't put in a claim but I'm sure that I've read about other examples from buyers who were refunded all fees once the seller refunded their portion. 

In an earlier post it was posted about that the gsp user agreement stated that returns were not supported by them and that fees would not be refunded however that paragraph starts out by talking about the sellers refund policy so I think that portion refers to buyer remorse returns.

http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

12. International Returns. The returns policy specified by your Seller in his/her listing description of a GSP Item will apply to your purchase of the GSP Item. For GSP Items located in the United States that you purchase under GSP and that you return to your Seller, you will not be eligible for, and you will not receive, a refund of any Program Fees that you paid to Pitney Bowes and Pitney Bowes will not be responsible for shipping the GSP Item back to your Seller. Your rights under local law will not be affected.

In paragraph 11 it talks about not as described situations being covered by the MBG but there is no mention or the fees not being returned. Since they mentioned it in returns I think that they would have mentioned it with mbg situations as well.

11. If a GSP Item that you purchase is not delivered to the delivery address specified by you or to the collection center near you that is designated by the shipping carrier, it is damaged, or it does not match your Seller's description, your purchase may be covered by an eBay Money Back Guarantee or PayPal Purchase Protection program.

I don't see anything about those funds not being refundable when I look at the MBG either.

We would appreciate if you could find out for sure what does happen in a mbg situation when the seller is at fault so that when buyers ask, we can give them the correct answer.

Message 39 of 52
latest reply

Returns and GSP

Maybe that's the advice we should be giving ebay buyers when they need to return a defective GSP purchase. Except the postage for return shipping would be borne by them and that is likely more than the import fees available to reclaim. 

The seller would have to pay for return shipping, there is no question about that.   The discussion was about the original international shipping fee and import fees

Although the gsp claim process isn't always that smooth it has improved since the early days when you filed, especially if the claim is done through ebay.  If the problem was caused by PB though it is usually best for the seller to give ebay a call about that portion after the claim is filed so that they recognize the entire refund isn't coming from the seller.

Message 40 of 52
latest reply