SHIPPING DELAYS RESULTING IN CLAIMS

Hello 

To All Sellers I hope your all taking good care of yourselves and loved ones . Is anyone shipping from canada to the usa getting alot of requests for refunds due to  items not arriving within the ebay stated time? 

Message 1 of 112
latest reply
111 REPLIES 111

Re: SHIPPING DELAYS RESULTING IN CLAIMS

it was sent surface and its been over 30 days

Oh dear.

But to be exepected. Surface shipping takes from two to three months.
Occasionally it is faster, because Canada Post tossed some Surface mail in with an Air Mail shipment.

If you offered Surface shipping, don't.

If your buyer insisted on the cheaper Surface rates, he was setting you up for a scam.

Tell him to open an eBay Dispute. Scammers don't want to because they don't want to be on eBay's radar.

If you refund promptly in a Dispute, there is no blowback on your selling account.

If the buyer cannot afford Air Mail shipping, he cannot afford your products.

Not every item is appropriate for mail order.

Message 41 of 112
latest reply

This is actually the 5th time I shipped surface . And 4 of them got across in less then 2 weeks . But everything else I sent went air and arrived in the same time frame .
Message 42 of 112
latest reply

I was selling with SURFACE option for few years because I felt guilty when the buyer had to pay approx. $35 for Airmail shipping for a book sold for $10...  Surface let's say for $17 looks as better suitable.

I person from Japan begged me to allow the SURFACE and on the next day after the time expired he filed an INR claim. I Had to pay it...

Had a couple of other similar cases, mainly with buyers from Eastern Europe countries.

Then decided that I better don't sell at all than to worry so often.

As we say " learned hard way".

Message 43 of 112
latest reply

@shootoutliquidation wrote:

just got my first international mia refund request to slovakia. it was sent surface and its been over 30 days 

i've asked him nicely to hold off  i can't afford to keep sending refunds . to impatient people . maybe time to just put my store on vacation . 

I don't advise shipping surface internationally. When I started out I looked at the option but the delivery times were so long that I knew customers would get impatient and possibly file.   If a customer can't afford shipping air and they want the product bad enough, they'll save for it. The end result will be that much sweeter.

Message 44 of 112
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

Because I'm planning to reopen my store this Friday I figured some statistics would be helpful to me and maybe of use to others.

Remember that I live in the rather safe and happy world of stamp collectors.

From March 1 to 21, I shipped 170 packages all over the world (about 30% outside North America). I closed my store on March 21.

So far I have 4 MIA notified packages via messages or INRs for packages shipped in that timeframe.

1 to Canada, buyer has been refunded will repay if it eventually shows up (repeat buyer)

3 to USA (2 to repeat buyers). All at the moment are continuing to be patient.

So for ease of rounding (up) I've got about 2.5% of packages MIA so far, all to traditionally very safe countries (Canada and USA). I suspect the international folks will be more patient so some of them if any, will likely come in soon.

If  go by feedback, just over 100 left positive feedback which is a bit under 60% that I know received the items.

Note that whilst looking through the sales, I checked some of the tracked packages, and 2 showed as not delivered on eBay whilst on the Canadian and destination country post office sites they were delivered, so one has to be careful about what shows on ebay.

Hopefully some of the MIAs will show up.

Even if they don't this % is not high enough to stop me on its own, however the mail environment has worsened since March 21 so the % will likely go higher if I reopen.

I have had way more than usual people asking me when my store will reopen which is giving me the itch to reawaken as soon as makes sense! 

I got another MIA notification this morning (now that I've reopened my store, I may get a couple from folks awaiting my reopening). Historically (pre COVID) Saturday seems to be a very common day to hear from MIA folks.

Anyway, this boosts my MIA rate up to 2.9%  (5 of 170, 1 refunded, 0 repaid so far)

Hopefully it doesn't go much higher, I'll have to keep an eye on the newly sold stuff, but as with these items, it takes about 3 weeks to a month for the MIA inquiries to start.

For the stuff now selling, I have reverted back to tracking more stuff than I was in the pre-COVID days.

Message 45 of 112
latest reply

5th time I shipped surface . And 4 of them got across in less then 2 weeks

Yes.

The post office sometimes fills already-paid-for space on flights with items for which only Surface shipping was paid.

It's a carp shoot. And not in a barrel.

And these days between the huge drop in the number of flights, and borders being closed to international shipments, Surface is too expensive to bother with.

Message 46 of 112
latest reply

One of the MIA's showed up today, almost a month in limbo!!! (This is the one going to a forwarder, I'm surprised I haven't heard from the buyer before now!!!)

image.png

Message 47 of 112
latest reply

Message 48 of 112
latest reply

I just made a post because eBay already refunded someone I sold too, then he got the parcel! And I didn’t get back my money

Message 49 of 112
latest reply

So how does this work, when the buyer files a claim, ebay refunds, and then tracking shows late delivery?  Shouldn't ebay automatically re-bill the buyer?  Shouldn't the buyer pipe up and say, "Oh yay, I got my item!" and re-pay?

Seems really dodgy that a seller has to keep track of this and have to jump through hoops to get the money back....so how DOES a seller get "re-paid"???

Message 50 of 112
latest reply

The seller rebills the customer through Paypal with a cheery and friendly note saying you saw that his parcel had been delivered and thought you would make it easier for him to refund the refund.

We mothers are good a guilt trips, eh?

It works about half the time in my experience.

Message 51 of 112
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

I got another MIA notification this morning (now that I've reopened my store, I may get a couple from folks awaiting my reopening). Historically (pre COVID) Saturday seems to be a very common day to hear from MIA folks.

Anyway, this boosts my MIA rate up to 2.9%  (5 of 170, 1 refunded, 0 repaid so far)

Hopefully it doesn't go much higher, I'll have to keep an eye on the newly sold stuff, but as with these items, it takes about 3 weeks to a month for the MIA inquiries to start.

For the stuff now selling, I have reverted back to tracking more stuff than I was in the pre-COVID days.

So today I receive notification that the Toronto MIA package arrived (mailed March 16 arrived April 22, TO is a 2 hour drive away for me!!!)

Also a couple days ago the one that was going to a forwarder and was tracked reappeared and was delivered.

So now my potential loss rate is down to 1.8%. I've not heard from at least one more buyer who hasn't yet opened the case I asked them to a week ago, so I suspect they also have received it but I won't count it. 

So now my official stats become:

MIA reported rate 2.9%

MIA actual rate 1.8%

(5 of 170 reported MIA, 2 later confirmed arrived, 1 refunded, 1 repaid so far)

Message 52 of 112
latest reply

just refunded a payment to a  customer in Hi . it was over 30 plus days . i tried to explain about delays . He just had enough of waiting . So i 've changed all shipping regardless of price to track a packet . I'm finished eating Losses . all the best take care and stay healthy people . ebay needs to update the shipping times and delays which they still haven't done. They still show delivery dates to the usa in 7 to 14 days . Not even close to expect that .Can't wait to be able to speak with a live person once this covid is all over .

Message 53 of 112
latest reply

Since I changed all shipments to the usa with tracking . I'm finding regardless of price the customers are still buying . Time to keep my money in my pocket and enough of the mia  refunds.

Message 54 of 112
latest reply

@ricarmic 

One MIA  package from Miami...No updates since the April 14th.

Another from Winnipeg current scan as follows. Note time on scans. Current local time is 7:57 AM

-Lotz

Tracking details time issue.JPG

Message 55 of 112
latest reply

The scary thing is that in some cases they just aren't providing delivery scans. It hasn't burned me yet but I've got positive feedback on items that still haven't had tracking updated since Apr 16. And this is on domestic Expedited Canada Post orders...

Message 56 of 112
latest reply

@travis7s 

Rush to judgement charge backs on late deliveries that we know are being delayed by Covid-19 for various reasons are not the sellers fault. This needs to be properly addressed.

-Lotz

Message 57 of 112
latest reply

Would also like to know how to get paid - one claim after 3 weeks via USPS parcel select (I use ChitChats). Refunded buyer 29.99. Buyer contacted me 4 days later got package would like to pay. I can't send them a PP invoice because their email address is now removed in the eBay transaction (after 14 days). Don't want to ask for their email in an eBay message and incur the wrath of eBay police thinking something nefarious nos going on. Sent them my mobile number in a message but haven't heard back yet. Any suggestions? tyler@ebay an ideas?? Thx.
Message 58 of 112
latest reply

When using chit chats i believe you have to contact usps and file a claim thru them . good luck 

Message 59 of 112
latest reply

The package was delivered 22 days after being shipped. The buyer is being super cool and would like to pay. I just can't send them an invoice.
Message 60 of 112
latest reply