Scammed by buyer

I recently sold and shipped an iPhone 12 Pro to a buyer and the day the package was receive he claims the phone was not in the box. I included some cases and a screen protector. When I asked for more details he said the box was open when he received it and the phone was not in the box.
He then reports the item for “item received not as described”. I disputed this claim. He then returns the package with just the cases and screen protector, but he did add a bunch of blank paper to weigh the box down. No iPhone was returned. Since he claims the item was returned eBay then sided with him and refunded his money. I now have to pay eBay back. I am currently disputing this as well. I will attach the photo I sent to ebay as proof.

I have sold many phones on this platform and I have never come across a situation like this. I am being scammed. I’m out an iPhone and now $1170.

Can any of you please help me?? Suggestions? What do I do? Any helpful suggestions are welcome.
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Scammed by buyer

I think you might have to file a police report for theft.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Scammed by buyer

I would also tell eBay (and the scammer) that the transaction has been reported to the Postal Inspectors.

An open box would be marked by the post office before delivery. And USPS postal inspectors have a fearsome reputation.

And don't just say it, do it.

You want a police report number and some assurance that it will be sent on to the scammer's local police. And of course starting the Postal case at your local post office or online.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/sending/issues/what-to-do-if-the-parcel-you...

https://www.uspis.gov/

The USPS makes it easy to contact their inspectors

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Scammed by buyer

Ebay is not and should not be the prefered platform to sell expensive item...scammer are always a step ahead of ebay seller protection. You could involve the police as the two response above but get ready for a load of frustration. One wrote on this platform once..."if you not prepared to lose your item to scammer do not put it on ebay". 95% of all transaction are done with both parties satisfaction...5% are not. Most seller are willing to live with those odds...but to lose a $1200.00 item to a scammer is madening. May I recommand Kijiji next time.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Scammed by buyer

marnotom!
Community Member
Maybe I’m misreading something here, but I don’t see any clear cut evidence that the buyer took the phone and kept it rather than it going astray in transit.

Was the item shipped within Canada by Expedited Parcel as per the terms of your listing?
Message 5 of 5
latest reply