Selling Cuba items on eBay Canada

In the past I have listed several sets etc of stamps from Cuba on eBay Canada but last night I was blocked from relisting some of these items because of the old Cuba embargo which is still in place in the USA.  At first I thought maybe it was because my listings included shipping details to the US but even after I deleted any shipping availablility to US I was still blocked from listing these items.  As far as I know there is no such embargo in place in Canada so what is going on?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

There is no Canada in eBay. We are an "adjacent market". We are subject to American laws as far as they are concerned.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I had the same problem last night for 4 of my Cuba listings and one from Iran.  The absolutely stupid thing about these restrictions is that my listings were were for items from the 1940's (in the case of Cuba) and 1907 (in the case of Iran) -- long before the time period that the embargo encompasses.  The state department embargo memo even mentions that these items are exempt, so why does ebay still block them???

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

The embargo depends on what you intend to sell on eBay

Allowed --- Certain informational items about sanctioned countries, such as books, movies, artwork, photographs, music, or similar materials.

Restricted --- Replica items of antiques and artifacts must clearly state that they're replicas.

The items must still meet all eBay policy guidelines.

Not allowed --- Link to  this site on eBay for more information

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/embargo.html

I did sell a book about Cuba's railroad system, to a buyer in Florida... no problem....as it fell into the allowed category.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Yes, I've just been blocked from listing some pre-revolution Cuban stamps despite having listed some a couple of years ago. Acting in this petty way serves no useful purpose. You can't pretend a country doesn't exist just because you don't agree with the regime in charge. If that were the case, we'd ignore about 75% of the countries on Earth.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply