Selling items to Russia

hkgoccx
Community Member

Hi All,

I have been with ebay for almost 10 years and on and off I sold my items with very few problems and I enjoyed selling and buying in here.

Recently I sold a couple of items to buyers from Russia, and it made me feel bad. As you all may know shipping from Canada to Russia might take up to 30 days or so by regular mail and the express is quite costly.

A buyer from Russia bought an item and paid regular mail fees and opened up a dispute to paypal after 7 days the auction ended. His reason was item not received. I instantly replied on paypal dispute message that due to New Year Holiday, I wasn't able to update the shipping status on the listing and the item had been shipped out a few days right after the payment had been made.

Since, the item was shipped by regular Canada Post Air, I have no tracking number but just a postal receipt to show the buyer the proof of shipment. Now the fund is being held by Paypal and I am worry about if the item did not arrive or even lost, what will be my subsequence ?

Any one here has a similar experience ?

Please help and comment.

Thanks

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Selling items to Russia

Most buyers do not open disputes as they know darn well how long parcels take. I had one open an INR last spring, parcel arrived in the meantime, they just let the claim expire. Not much you can do.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Selling items to Russia

I looked at your recent completed listings with an iPhone and a Sony and Samsung smartphones. Sold for over $400.

I know these are not the items that have an issue but you are selling these items Internationally with many  countries that I would never ship a $25 item to.

To have PayPal seller protection on an item over $250, you need signature confirmation.  The current listings have International Parcel Air at $39.  International Parcel Air is not available to most Western countries and you have to use Xpresspost at a higher cost.

So you are setting yourself up to be scammed by International buyers who are looking for high value popular items like smartphones if you ship by a cheaper means.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Selling items to Russia

Since, the item was shipped by regular Canada Post Air, I have no tracking number

That's not specific enough. "Regular Parcel" is a domestic service. Did you use Small Packet International Air?

If so phone Canada Post and give the number on your postal receipt or Paypal invoice. That is the insurance number. Your Small Packet is automatically insured for $100 against loss or damage in transit. You may be asked to call back after CP's deadline for delivery passes. But they will pay out.

The alternative would be ExpressPost International which is also insured, and is Delivery Confirmed to some countries (but not all ).

Air shipments to Western Europe usually are faster than to the USA, in my experience, but Eastern Europe I cannot speak to.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Selling items to Russia

Have only sold three items to Russia.

All were shipped via Small Packet Air & arrived in about thirty days.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Selling items to Russia

bid_4_win
Community Member

Yes i lost around $400.00 with Russian custumers, they open a dispute for item not received!!!

How can you proove it.

Now for me it's Canada and USA only

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Selling items to Russia

I looked at your recent completed listings with an iPhone and a Sony and Samsung smartphones. Sold for over $400.

Sorry, you did not sell an iPhone recently.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Selling items to Russia

I get more people from Canada stealing from me. Because of the great postal service, I can (er, used to) send a camera screen to the US for a few bux, or internationally for $5+ but for Canada it's easily $8+, so I send in an envelope, under 3/4" regular post, and many many times it's Canadians who steal.

I have had issues all over the world, but Russia has not been any worse than others. In fact Germany has been the worst, but I believe there is an issue with their delivery as one INR came back after 2 months and said they got it. 

Of course that WAS small packet air for items less than $100. iPhones, laptops, smartphones are a thieves dream, so if it's over $100 it would not be offered or would have appropriate shipping methods. That was WAS, cause it just don't work that way anymore.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Selling items to Russia

i had the same scenario take place recently 

my advice do not sell to thieves and crooks

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Selling items to Russia

To the best of my recollections, the $100 insurance on Small Parcels discontinued about 2 years ago.
Are you sure it still exists?
I know that only expedited and express shipping to USA are insured for $100 unless we buy more.
Hope your answer will be a pleasant one!
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Selling items to Russia

"$100 insurance on small packet air discontinued"

You are correct. Only tracked packet now carries the $100 insurance & it is of course much more expensive. It also only ships to certain countries, Russia is not one of them. The cheapest method I found to Russia that was tracked & had insurance was surface parcel & it was pretty pricey. Also took over 6 weeks to get there. I don't ship to Russia anymore unless tracked/insured as I have been told that their postal service is pretty unreliable & lots of thefts.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Selling items to Russia

@block36 wrote:
To the best of my recollections, the $100 insurance on Small Parcels discontinued about 2 years ago.
Are you sure it still exists?
I know that only expedited and express shipping to USA are insured for $100 unless we buy more.
Hope your answer will be a pleasant one!

Zombie thread from 2013. When femme replied to this thread back in 2013 there was still insurance with small packet. 

Persoanlly I don't ship to Russia.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Selling items to Russia

Ooops... Did not notice the date of femme's memo.

Thank you
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Selling items to Russia

It was in January 2013 that insurance for small packet was removed.

It was also the first year for Tracked Packet..... with limited international options.....

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Selling items to Russia

Zombie thread from 2013

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

Selling items to Russia

We stopped shipping to russia because 75% of everything sent there was going "missing". There was no point in trying to continue.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Selling items to Russia

We stopped shipping to Russia because 75% of everything sent there was going "missing". There was no point in trying to continue.

EDIT: Nice error. It said no you cant post that with that error so we corrected the spelling as you can see and clicked post. It posted both times anyways.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Selling items to Russia

amcdc79
Community Member

Holy old thread, both of the items I shipped to Russia did get there, but they took forever. I don't blame the buyer for opening a case before the 30 day cut off(at that time), but getting a defect, when I shipped the same day, left a bad taste in my mouth. So, I do not ship there any more.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Selling items to Russia

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 19 of 19
latest reply