Selling items using a drop down menu?

for example selling sports cards; on the listing they have a drop down menu where you can select which card you need to complete a regular or insert set. Are these sellers only charged by ebay for ONE auction listing. Anyone know.?

And if you use this type of listing does it work well for you??
Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

thx but i cant get it to allow me to list the players cards. i see no drop down menu for the option to list all the cards in the listing.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Are you using the advanced listing tool? The quick listing tool does not allow you to add variations.
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Are you using the fixed price format?  You won’t be able to do a variation listing as an auction.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

yes
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

yes

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

If you are using the Advanced listing tool and you don't see any options for Variation listings then maybe it's not available in that category.

What you are proposing isn't a valid use of the variation listing format and I doubt the category you would be using supports them.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

What categories can have listings with variations?

You can create listings with variations in several eBay and eBay Motors categories:

• Baby

• Clothing, Shoes & Accessories

• Crafts

• Health & Beauty

• Home & Garden

• Jewellery & Watches

• Pet Supplies

• Sporting Goods

• eBay Motors Apparel & Merchandise

Not all categories support listings with variations.

Best Offer and Lots options aren't available when listing items with variations.

https://www.ebay.ca/pages/help/sell/listing-variations.html#categories

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Curious to know the last time the list of categories was updated? Electronics comes to mind as a good category to add.  Definitely a few other that would be very helpful for some sellers.  Call it a very small "carrot" and eBay would still get their 0.30 each time an item sells.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Curious to know the last time the list of categories was updated? Electronics comes to mind as a good category to add.  Definitely a few other that would be very helpful for some sellers.  Call it a very small "carrot" and eBay would still get their 0.30 each time an item sells.

-Lotz

The list is out of date!

Somewhere in the help files (I saw it recently) it is shown slightly different, it shows the same list but also says that new categories are being added and if the category you pick is included then the variation options will be shown, If they are not shown it is because they are not available for that category.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

In most catagories or subcategories there is an Other category. Most of the time the Other category supports Variation listing when it should not. Which is why you find sellers using variations in catagories that are not on the supported list.

Used this eBay programming bug (= incompetence) a few times to stretch the free monthly free 50 limitation for non-stores. I don’t know if it is still around but knowing the incompetence of eBay staff and program analysts it is probably still there.

How did I find out? I couldn’t figure out how some sellers were using variations in unsupported catagories and a little detective work noticed the Other category commonality. Never saw it mentioned in the forums on eBay USA or Canada but I did post how it was done in replies to sellers asking about it. Based on listing using variations in unsupported catagories I would say many sellers figured it out from their competitors in the same products. Probably did not talk about it for fear of eBay closing the loophole.
Message 12 of 26
latest reply

My category is allowed, for sure- i see the variation drop down select your card menu on other listings as well- sports cards.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

bump pls.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

I'm not sure what problem you are having. Is it that you don't see the option to do any variations at all  on the listing form? When I click on one of your listings and then go to list the same item myself, I do see the variation option.

As recped mentioned, listing various cards really isn't what the variations listings are for. If you do use it for that, there may not be a problem but there is also the possibility that ebay will take those listings down. I've heard of them doing that in the CD category.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

there is a SELECT button, which you can choose your card, it drops down. i cannot see it or use it for my auctions.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

@hockey-card-inserts wrote:

there is a SELECT button, which you can choose your card, it drops down. i cannot see it or use it for my auctions.

Drop down menu (listings with variations) is only for BIN (Buy-It-Now) fixed price listings not for Auction listings.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

thank  you but still could not see it under fixed price....

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

-Lotz

They could bring back Decorative Collectible Brands with variations.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:
In most catagories or subcategories there is an Other category. Most of the time the Other category supports Variation listing when it should not. Which is why you find sellers using variations in catagories that are not on the supported list.

Used this eBay programming bug (= incompetence) a few times to stretch the free monthly free 50 limitation for non-stores. I don’t know if it is still around but knowing the incompetence of eBay staff and program analysts it is probably still there.

How did I find out? I couldn’t figure out how some sellers were using variations in unsupported catagories and a little detective work noticed the Other category commonality. Never saw it mentioned in the forums on eBay USA or Canada but I did post how it was done in replies to sellers asking about it. Based on listing using variations in unsupported catagories I would say many sellers figured it out from their competitors in the same products. Probably did not talk about it for fear of eBay closing the loophole.

I've also noticed sellers in some countries seem to have access to variation listings in categories we do not.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply