Selling on the eBay Australia Site

Hi Guys,

I am looking at selling on eBay Australia.  I currently have a Basic store on eBay.ca. - usual number of free monthly listings.

I am not familiar with this site and am wondering if the charges for listing on the Australian site are different than my current site or are they just part of my .ca free listings package?

Who knows?

Thanks

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The first step in registering a new user ID is to go to Ebay.com.au. In the top left where you would normally sign in, there should be a link to Register. If that link isn't there, it's because that ebay page recognises that you already have a ebay user ID. To get around this, you can use an alternate web browser or clear your cookies.

I created a new email address to link to my new ebay ID. I don't know if you require a unique email address for each ebay ID.

Like I suggested above, I think you'll need at least one Australian phone number. They will check, so don't try to fake it. Their verification was to send a text message to that number with a security code that you have to enter in your acct application.

I also think you'll need a mailing address.  I was able to "borrow" that info from a relative living there. When I look at my user profile, my Aus address shows up. Every time I log into my acct, it asks me to verify my Aus phone number.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Hello, All I can tell you from my own experiences is that I have had a few packages to
Australia vanish. The cost of tracking from Canada is very high and most buyers do
not wish to pay for that service. It also takes a very longtime for packages to arrive.
I have decided no longer post to Australia unless the buyer wishes to pay for tracking and
most do not.
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Pretty much all the fees are different.......

Monthly Store Fees

Listing Fees

Final Value Fees

Free Listings

etc.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/fees-invoices#feesinvoices-fees-selling

"Free" listings included with a .ca Store are NOT valid for listing on .au

You would be listing in AU$ and have to pay for the exchange to convert to US or CA Dollars

You would need to use Flat-Rate shipping

Have to ask, why do you think this would be a good option for you? What is your goal?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 27
latest reply

@murphcrud wrote:

I am looking at selling on eBay Australia.  I currently have a Basic store on eBay.ca. - usual number of free monthly listings.

... wondering if the charges for listing on the Australian site are different than my current site or are they just part of my .ca free listings package?

.CA free listings and stores do not translate to ebay.com.au

You can list on .ca and have shipping enabled to Australia to sell to there.

Aussies (as a private non-business seller) get 40 free listings per month for items listed under $100AU.  $1.50AU for non-free listings.

Not sure if anyone new from outside Australia can use those free listings, since ebay.com.au switched to Managed Payments in 2020 (an Australian bank account might be required).

-..-

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

I would rather not say what my 'goal' is - definitely 'good intentions' only.
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

If you ship to Australia and other sellers aren’t clogging up the eBay Oz site with the same merchandise you’re selling, your .ca listings will likely be found pretty easily with a keyword search on the Australian site.
Message 6 of 27
latest reply

The ebay.co.uk 1,000 free (private, non business) is currently working for my ebay.ca individual non-store, non MP account.

I've been listing a handfull of U.K. themed iitems there to try and determine whether there is any difference in visibility versus listing on .ca with shipping to the U.K.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

That is exactly why I wanted to try Ebay - AUS, but I guess the UK site is different that AUS.
Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Many years ago I realized that Australia was the #2 country I shipped to after the USA for my items listed on .com. Many times more than items shipped to addresses in Canada.

I don't have an ebay store.

I started by listing a few items on ebay.com.au, but noticed right away that the listing fees were HUGE.  For a high volume item, the single 30 day fee gets spread out, so it's not a significant amount per sale.  My items are not high volume, so the fee per sale was too much when you add the FVF and PP. Then it really hurts when you have to pay a $5 listing fee and you get no sales!

I found out that if you register as a user on .com.au, you get free listings each month.  I went through the suffering to do this and now have a unique Australian ebay user ID that I sell in $AUD.  It is easy to add $AUD as a currency in your PP acct.

As indicated above, you can't use calculated shipping.  You will have to use a flat rate option. My auctions state "Standard International Flat Rate Shipping".  I think all other options are only what can be purchased from within.

I don't pay anymore listing fees since I don't use up all the free ones allotted to me each month.

Oddly, since registering on .com.au, my sales to Australia have dried up.  Now, the majority of my sales on .com.au are to buyers in the USA that don't realize I sell the same item on .com at a lower price. A quick look at my history shows 3 of the past 4 sales went to the USA, the fourth to Taiwan.

The one thing that may stop you from registering is that 5 years ago, you had to register with not one, but two Australian phone numbers.  I can't see them demanding two numbers today since many people now only have a mobile number.

YMMV.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Now, the majority of my sales on .com.au are to buyers in the USA that don't realize I sell the same item on .com at a lower price.

Makes one wonder if 'race to the bottom' discounting is as useful a sales promotion as most think, doesn't it?

I've seem similar results with a product I list with three different outlets. Two here and one with AZ.

The AZ prices are often the lowest on AZ, but are still higher than my eBay prices.

With the two eBay accounts, the price is higher on one even though the FB numbers are lower. I still get good sales on that account.

There is such a thing as "aspirational selling", which is basically raising the price because for some buyers, the higher the price, the better and more desirable the item.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

I'm sure the race-to-the-bottom does cause higher sales, but those sellers that are not in the lead still get sales.
I've got one item I sell that I'm the lowest price. I also make a very large mark-up on it. Even though I'm the lowest, I still see sales happening to other sellers (qty sold when you open their auction).
I think there are a lot of buyers (especially in the USA) that search an item, and buy the first one that comes up without considering price comparison with other sellers.
Last month I had one like that. I and one other seller were the only ones on ebay with a particular auto part. Mine was $205US with shipping, the other guy's was $100 plus shipping. Mine sold, his is still listed (although I had better pics and a better description).

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Aussies (as a private non-business seller) get 40 free listings per month for items listed under $100AU.  $1.50AU for non-free listings.

I don't think this is true anymore.  

I've got two items listed that are over $200AUD and I checked back by 5 months through my ebay statements. I haven't paid a single listing fee for any auction.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Sorry if you got this reply twice. I thought I replied and then I don't see anything.

Just FYI I sent an Xpresspost to Austualia 8 days ago, and as per tracking it's still at YVR waiting for flights. So I probably won't be sending anything else to Australia unless buyer is willing to pay for tracking.

On the other hand, I have a letterpost that arrived at Denmark in 16 days.
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

The first step in registering a new user ID is to go to Ebay.com.au. In the top left where you would normally sign in, there should be a link to Register. If that link isn't there, it's because that ebay page recognises that you already have a ebay user ID. To get around this, you can use an alternate web browser or clear your cookies.

I created a new email address to link to my new ebay ID. I don't know if you require a unique email address for each ebay ID.

Like I suggested above, I think you'll need at least one Australian phone number. They will check, so don't try to fake it. Their verification was to send a text message to that number with a security code that you have to enter in your acct application.

I also think you'll need a mailing address.  I was able to "borrow" that info from a relative living there. When I look at my user profile, my Aus address shows up. Every time I log into my acct, it asks me to verify my Aus phone number.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Thanks for your help and advice. I think that I will have to bite the bullet and maybe just list a few items on eBay.Aus and pay the fees and see how it shakes out.
Message 15 of 27
latest reply

I have sent a few items to Australia and all have arrived, albeit, 5-7 weeks after mailing. Darn kangaroos are so slow. You would think that they could carry more in those pouches of their's.
Message 16 of 27
latest reply

My Xpresspost package took 19 days to arrive to Australia...... About 12 days to actually get to Australia, then it was stuck at customs for almost a week before released to buyer.
Message 17 of 27
latest reply

Just a word of caution. I think it is taking a long time for items to get to Australia lately. I sell quite often to buyers in Australia and I just had one who patiently waited over 8 weeks before letting me know that her package never arrived.  Sent letterpost Airmail. Only second one lost to AU in 15 years. Possibly no flights there and mail is going by sea or being held up in customs. Going to refund, of course.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

@murphcrud wrote:
Thanks for your help and advice. I think that I will have to bite the bullet and maybe just list a few items on eBay.Aus and pay the fees and see how it shakes out.

I would be interested to hear your experience once you've had some time to assess. 

These days, listing on DOTca gives a lot better visibility to all the other eBay sites than listing on DOTcom;  this is from a discussion I had with one of the top ebay execs a year or so ago.  She felt it wouldn't make a real difference to visibility to open an account on another eBay site, however it may entice more sales IF the items are physically located in, and fulfilled from, that country..

Back before DOTca, I used to sell quite a bit on eBay UK to take advantage of the exchange rates at the time.  (i could buy a part at retail in the US for say $200USD and sell for $200GBP .. shipping was a doddle)   I tried Aus as well but didn't really have much success at that time.  

I currently ship a couple items a week to Aus and yes it is taking forever as much of the Canada Post items go on commercial airlines, and with reduced air travel it really is taking a long time to both leave the country and get transferred... I actually had one end up in Japan for a couple weeks en route...    Made it eventually

Message 20 of 27
latest reply