Shipping Costs Ridiculous

I had 2 fur brushes for sale last week both free shipping worldwide not 1 single excluded country ( am I supposed to exclude any btw?) .

One was sold to Victoria , One was sold to Quebec. I live in Vancouver, BC. The Victoria one shipping cost was 9 dollars, decent profit I guess but still 9 bucks pretty steep. Not until I had to print my shipping label for the Quebec one... 16 bucks?!!?!?! 

I asked the Canada Post employee, and she said to states just cross the border is 9 bucks not sure about rest of the states and worldwide? BTW, which worldwide country is considered most expensive to ship to? I don't even wanna ask the CP worker.

How are you Canadian shippers making any kinds of profit wit these ridiciolus shipping costs. We're at a huge disadvantage compared to US, China shipping rates. Unless your product fits into an envelope, you won't be able to compete with any sellers from the US. Oh and did I mention China, the ones who can ship worldwide for 10% of our price or less?

Please enlighten me fellow successful sellers. 

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

There are some Matchbox diecast worth lots of money... as with all diecast...scale models

Put a value of a mint collectable at $200 to $300  and that $30 cost for shipping looks acceptable.

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Put a value of a mint collectable at $200 to $300  and that $30 cost for shipping looks acceptable.

I agree completely with your comments above, and in the earlier post in this thread.  Perception of value is everything, and buyers will look at shipping relative to the value of an item. 

Even though I always discount my flat shipping rates to the U.S., I spread those discounts around unevenly, giving out more here and less there.  For example, on ca. $15 or $20 items, I may provide a 50% or more discount on shipping (or free shipping), whereas on a $250 item, my buyers seem to have no problem with paying 80% to 90% of the actual shipping, and those are items on which I couldn't afford to offer completely free shipping. 

I don't know that I entirely agree with the concept of rolling (i.e. hiding) "free" shipping into the item price.  It may work for some sellers for certain items, especially where there is substantial room in the item pricing to load on some of the shipping cost, and the shipping is reasonable anyway, but for others, using that strategy can quickly knock you out of the competition, particularly if most of your competitors are in the U.S. 

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

Free shipping, as practiced on eBay... shipping cost included in the price of the item...  works best when the cost of shipping is very low...

Something not easily done with Canada Post rates, for options other than lettermail....., within Canada, and not necessarily to the US....

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

Pierre made those comments based on the questions which was from a guy who knew nothing about shipping so pierre stated the basic and obvious which I completely agree with ..

toff you wrote

I fail to see the relation between selling price and postage cost.

I will explain to you like pierre did to the newbie asking a questions..

If the item sell for $10 and weigh 1000 pounds it is not meant to be sold online which was his point...Nobody is going to pay $100 for shipping an item that they can get at the store for $10 no shipping...

The relationship between price and shipping price is if the shipping price exceeds and logical pricing for a big low valued item then it is not worth  selling and will never sell and that is how they Relate to each other when talking about online sale ..

When you talk about shipping and Price there are completely 2 different none related items but when you talking about selling certain things they are directly related in the sense that they will give you a total cost and make or break your chance of a sale

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

Brandee,

I am gratified - flattered even - that you've taken the trouble to respond to a post of mine that's nearly a year old. But I'm afraid you miss the point.

When Pierre wrote that shipping in and from Canada is expensive he was dead right. However, his following statement

NOT all items are meant for sale by mail.  In fact, most are not

applies only to Canada (or any country which has very high mailing costs).

Trouble is, Pierre and a whole lot of other people, have become inured to Canada Post's inflated charges and seem to accept these as a consequence of Canada's geography (huge country, thinly-distributed population,  harsh climate, etc.).

I maintain they're unnecessarily high as a direct result of a failed business model.

Tom 

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

@toff3 wrote:

Trouble is, Pierre and a whole lot of other people, have become inured to Canada Post's inflated charges and seem to accept these as a consequence of Canada's geography (huge country, thinly-distributed population,  harsh climate, etc.).

I maintain they're unnecessarily high as a direct result of a failed business model.

You are quite right about Canadian shipping costs.  The fact remains however that people who sell featherweight, very thin items (postage stamps for example) of moderate to high value are going to have a far easier time of it where shipping is concerned.  Pierre doubtless found the ideal niche in that regard. 

Yet I think his statement that "most" items weren't meant to be sold online is a somewhat over-simplistic and tunnel-visioned view.  There are other considerations in relation to shipping cost that will make an item profitable because people want it and are willing to pay reasonable shipping charges to get it (even if, granted, those Canada Post charges are higher than they should be, and the item weight is greater than a few postage stamps).  Item value plays a big role, reflected in such things as availability, desirability, rarity, quality, and other factors. 

A buyer may not be willing to pay $15 shipping on an ordinary $50 item he can buy at a local store, but if it's something he just can't get easily anywhere close by, the shipping cost suddenly becomes a lot less critical.  Shipping costs of $20 or $30 may seem quite reasonable on a $300 item that a buyer can't easily find anywhere but eBay. 

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Hi pjcdn2005,

Does the discount for expedited parcel through paypal apply to all sellers even those without a store? Also, is the discount always 20% (ebay explains it as being "up to 18%") or does it fluctuate for one reason or another?

Any insight will be of great assistance. Thanks.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

Yes it applies to all sellers. The discount is based on the price that you would pay at the counter at the post office or outlet.

The discount for Canada Post expedited within Canada and to the U.S. is 18%

Tracked Packet discount is 14%

I'm not positive on the Xpresspost discounts but I believe that within Canada it is 9% and to other countries it is 8%. Hopefully, Poco will confirm that or correct me and also answer if the percentage ever fluctuate

No discount on small or light packet

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

@lovestyle.intl wrote:
DYK home plus... where would I contact them? I tried googling, but can't find a website for them anywhere

Sorry. I have been busy selling and did not keep track of this.

Try using goggle DYK Post.

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@lovestyle.intl wrote:
DYK home plus... where would I contact them? I tried googling, but can't find a website for them anywhere

That post was made in Feb. 2013 so I doubt that the poster is still following this thread. I'm in Alberta as well and have never heard of any companies that take packages from here to be shipped to the U.S. but  perhaps they do exist.

Yes. There is a cross border shipping in Alberta.

If you are in Calgary or Edmonton, try using google: DYK Post.

I have been using them for the last 2 years for USPS and

you can't beat the price and speed with USPS.

Message 30 of 32
latest reply

I now look for NON-US sellers for purchaces because the US to Canada postage is completely OUTRAGEOUS.

Message 31 of 32
latest reply

This thread is several years old and the information contained within it is no longer accurate; therefore it is a zombie thread @happy_pigeon.

Message 32 of 32
latest reply