Shipping Free

I'm thinking of selling DVD's so checked out the cost of shipping at local post office turns out a single dvd in case would cost $8.61Cnd .which converts to about $6.48USD as I list ion ebay.com .Question is how can some Canadian sellers state ship for free on a $7.00 DVD ? Another question is what do they mean about OOP ???? can not figure out what that stands for ,Any help much appreciated..

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Shipping Free

I think some dvd cases can fit in a flat bubble wrap envelope. If it can slip through the slot they have at the post office it can go cheaper. But maybe some other cd & dvd sellers can let you know how they do it.  Also OOP means Out Of Print.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Shipping Free

@oldconvent wrote:

I'm thinking of selling DVD's so checked out the cost of shipping at local post office turns out a single dvd in case would cost $8.61Cnd .which converts to about $6.48USD as I list on ebay.com .Question is how can some Canadian sellers state ship for free on a $7.00 DVD ?

I don't know how others do it but I use oversize lettermail (up to 2cm thick) for inside Canada. No insurance, no tracking, but usually no problem. Thick dvd cases are a different matter.

If using stamps:
101-200g .. 2.95
201-300g .. 4.10
301-400g .. 4.70
401-500g .. 5.05

For the States -- if the seller is inside the USA or can get it across the border they can ship a dvd using media mail for less than $3us through the USPS.

Depending on your location, if there is one nearby, consider using a reshipper company to get USPS domestic rates. These are the ones I've heard of -- their websites have the details:

chitchatsexpress.com - Vancouver, Toronto, Halifax
dykpost.com - Edmonton, Red Deer, Calgary
runninred.com - Winnipeg
stallionexpress.com - Toronto

Most mainstream dvds are not worth selling (even if you get them cheap). It's the stuff that has small print runs that have a better chance of selling for a worthwhile price.

-,,-

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Shipping Free

oop = Out of print
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Shipping Free

The eBay branded envelopes are just the right size for a DVD.

This is the 20cm x18cm poly bubble envelope.

It's just under the 2cm thick with DVD and envelope and weighs practically nothing, so either Light Packet or LetterPost works fine.

A bit big for a CD but ... economies of scale. Why have two sizes when one will do and not add any cost?

Technically we are supposed to use Light Packet for goods (as opposed to documents) so I won't tell you to check prices before you choose which service.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Shipping Free

I think you got some really good advice from some of the other posters.  Sometimes it is just not worth the time or money to sell certain CD's/DVD's.  Many of the large sellers pay pennies for the CD's/DVD's and only make money because they sell a lot, like a Dollar store.  It is very difficult to compete with them and the river.  

For me, if I sell a CD to someone in Canada with free shipping for $10.  By the time I pay for the envelope, postage, ebay and paypal fees that adds up to $4.90.  Now considering all the time spent photographing, researching, listing, maintaining listings, answering questions, shipping, I may make 10 cents and hour.  But I am lucky I do this for a hobby not a job and I do not need it to put food on the table.  

The large seller is selling that same CD in the US for $4.99 free shipping, there is no way I can compete. Therefore,  I have several yard sales a year, sell on craigs list and have been selling on Facebook. 

You have to figure what your break even point is.  It is almost just as much work to list a low dollar item as a high dollar item.  

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Shipping Free

"It is almost just as much work to list a low dollar item as a high dollar item."

In my experience, it's every bit as much work to list an item for 99 cents as it is for 99 dollars.

To the OP, try bundling items of a similar nature so that it's logical to ask more for your bundle as a whole. Then offer 'free' shipping which is really just adding postage cost to the item cost and calling it 'free'. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Shipping Free

Thank you all for the valuable information.I reached out to one seller in BC that sells a lot of DVD's and offers free shipping on many of his listings,so I'll see what his deal is when and if he/she responds.As far as using another carrier like mentioned unfortunately there are none on the Island where I am. I think I'll list a few and see what the response is,my investment in these DVD's is very little and my time....well I'm an old retired guy that doesn't have much else to do,so rather than being a total couch potato ,I do the ebay plus it helps a little with my meager income.   

Message 8 of 8
latest reply