Shipping Rates Quotes and Currency Conversion

I wonder why Ebay doesn't provide the currency conversion in the Shipping and Payment Tab. It quotes the shipping cost in the listed currency yet in the main listing the currency is posted at the listed currency and the conversion. I think this disadvantages both seller and buyer as if selling in Canadian dollars they may not see the discount between the US and Cdn dollar if they go straight to the Shipping and Payment tab.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Conversion rates are changing constantly.

If you are ever going on a trip outside Canada, it is worth while to go to a couple of banks and a credit union and a foreign exchange company to compare rates.

Most start with the mid-market rate, which really reflects multi million dollar transactions between banks, and work from there.

What I'm getting at is that the conversion rate you see and the conversion rate you (or your customer) gets are not going to be the same, even if purchase and payment are only hours apart.
Never mind processing fees from Paypal or your credit card.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Sorry, what I meant is when you are on ebay.com and look at a listing that was created in ebay.ca it shows the price in CND dollars and in brackets the (US equiv). Same with the shipping just below the listing price. BUT if you navigate to the shipping and payment tab it only shows the shipping price in CND. Buyers in my opinion will navigate to the tab to see the shipping options and see only CND rates without the US equivalent, and not realizing that their cost is less as they would pay in US dollars.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

You are assuming that buyers read.

The number of posts we see complaining about information in listings does not support that hypothesis.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Yes, that's my point a lot of buyers don't read, and it's not to knock our neighbours to the south, but if they look at the Shipping and Payment tab they are going to see the shipping costs in CND dollars not US, and think " nope shipping is too much..pass", not realizing that they can knock off 20-25% when converted to USD . IMHO the shipping rate in the Shipping and Payment tab should show the currency conversion like it does in the listing.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I do understand your point. And it's a good one. Although in my experience as a buyer, I rarely go to the shipping tab, except to see how many days the seller takes to ship. Simply because the shipping cost is shown on the main page.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply