Shipping and packaging. Corrugated wrap?

I have various stuff around the house to sell off, and was looking through my options of buying boxes. I came across cardboard wrap (or 'corrugated wrap' on uline) and I can buy it by the 250' roll in sizes ranging from 3" wide up to 48" wide.

I was thinking a 24" wide roll is pretty good for most of the stuff I would do. Combined with some bubble wrap I could "build" a box around the product I am shipping.

Can I use this is the actual shipping box? Or is it just meant for wrapping items safely to go INSIDE a "real" box? Because it's quite well priced for my needs, almost too good.

Can i just wrap an item in this cardboard wrap, slap a shipping logo on it and drop it in the mailbox? I have shipped a few items in the past but still new to the game.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Shipping and packaging. Corrugated wrap?

As long as it won`t break while in transit, you can ship in anything you`d like.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Corrugated single face is specifically designed as an internal packaging. They call it single face because it has one face of flat paper, the corrugated center, but no outside face. As a result, it' s not structurally the same as corrugated cardboard. 

While you can use anything to ship, a box does offer a structure that is usually more durable and is more familiar and easier to deal with. 

You could make a box out of single face, but in order to get a similar strength and look you would be confined to making a box of a max size approx 12x12x12. 

IMHO, I would recommend uline.ca, or staplesindustrial.ca or your local liquor store, and buy a couple different sized boxes and cut them down as required. You can even get  'vari depth' boxes. If you look through uline and staples websites, you will see quite a few box sizes that are very low in price. These are the high movers that online sellers use so the price is very good. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

What Froogal says. I make a lot of my own boxes from sheet carbdoard I get from a box company. My boxes fit exactly the way I want, built with size and weight in mind.

Liquor store boxes if they are the exact size you need. If not, pass. I worked in that environment for too many centuries and far too many people would take them because they are free. Well, thye are used, bent, structural integrity is already gone, and you need to turn them inside out for international mailing.

I use a fair number of 6 X 6 inch boxes but of varying depths. I buy the 6 x 6 x 6 and cut them to the depth I want. Then I need to make a lid for them. It is work, but, the custom fit is worth it.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

If the parcel  is the shape of a cylinder it will cost extra to ship using Canada Post.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply