Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid Postal Code.

Hi all,

I'm trying to sell items on .ca and for US shipping I need to select International/Custom Location/United States and Small Packets USA Air as a service. I enter the dimensions in cm and weight in grams and when I check the listing and test the shipping calculator for U.S. prices, I am getting the message "Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid postal code."

I've checked Canada Post's website and I am well within the parameters for dimensions and weight.

a) why is it asking me for a POSTAL CODE for shipping to the U.S.?

b) am I doing something wrong?

I have included a screenshot of shipping screen...

help please!

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

What happens when you publish the listing and view it on eBay.com?
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Is this an item that you already have listed? All  of your listings show a shipping cost to the US. There is a postal code error note showing but that's a glitch, you can ignore it as long as a price is showing up.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

"Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid postal code" is the new normal. It's a long-standing glitch they are working to fix. It says postal code because you're viewing the listing on ebay Canada where we have postal codes.

If you look further, you will see a postage cost displayed. This postage cost will be reflected in the Shopping Cart and on your invoices, there is nothing to prevent a buyer from submitting payment and allowing the transaction to proceed satisfactorily. 

Shipping to USA shows as it should belowShipping to USA shows as it should belowShipping to Canada shows as it should belowShipping to Canada shows as it should below

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I get the exact same message

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

As as aside, you may want to limit your ship-to locations. You're WorldWide without Exclusions and via untracked services at the moment. This is a bit risky, especially for a new seller. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Wait, you're not a new seller, per se, but a returning one. Disregard. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@thehiddenlevelwrote:

I get the exact same message

Technically, no. It says, "Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid ZIP Code" because the USA has Zip Codes. The error message is a glitch, ignore it. It's been there since November of 2017. 'Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid ZIP Code.''Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid ZIP Code.'

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

wow, thanks to all for the super quick responses!

One of my listings that recently sold (282887120338) did NOT provide U.S. shipping cost, and it also had the 'valid Postal code' message.

I would like to avoid that with my other listings. I have included a screenshot of that listing and I can't see anything different that would cause no cost to calculate.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Thanks, I didn't even think of exclusions. I'll make some changes to that going forward  🙂

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

“One of my listings that recently sold (282887120338) did NOT provide U.S. shipping cost, and it also had the 'valid Postal code' message.”

If you’re getting Send Invoice problems with zero dollars or a service that doesn’t exist for the destination, tell Tyler@ebay. That’s an intermittent and reoccurring problem for certain users.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Canada has postal codes.

USA has zipcodes.

Is your own postal code correctly entered?

If you have to check a zipcode, many sellers use 90210 because it is easy to remember.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@thehiddenlevelwrote:

One of my listings that recently sold (282887120338) did NOT provide U.S. shipping cost, and it also had the 'valid Postal code' message.

I would like to avoid that with my other listings. I have included a screenshot of that listing and I can't see anything different that would cause no cost to calculate.

The smallest dimensions that you can use for small packet is 14cm x 9cm x 1mm so your first measurement of 13cm is too small. In cases like that the ebay calculator won't work but it won't actually give you a warning that it won't work.  For some reason, the CP calculator will give you a price even though the parcel is supposedly too small. I've also heard that in some cases, Shippo will print a label even if the measurements are too small so the ebay calculator seems to be the only one that always follows the rules. 

You can check on the official dimensions here:

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGpsus_int-e.asp

You can check to see if the calculator is working on your listings by going to your listing and click on the shipping tab. Change your location to the US and enter a zip code. Click on see rate to see if it is working. You can check other countries the same way but you don't need to enter a zip or postal code.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@thehiddenlevelwrote:

The smallest dimensions that you can use for small packet is 14cm x 9cm x 1mm so your first measurement of 13cm is too small. In cases like that the ebay calculator won't work but it won't actually give you a warning that it won't work.  For some reason, the CP calculator will give you a price even though the parcel is supposedly too small. I've also heard that in some cases, Shippo will print a label even if the measurements are too small so the ebay calculator seems to be the only one that always follows the rules. 

You can check on the official dimensions here:

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGpsus_int-e.asp

You can check to see if the calculator is working on your listings by going to your listing and click on the shipping tab. Change your location to the US and enter a zip code. Click on see rate to see if it is working. You can check other countries the same way but you don't need to enter a zip or postal code.

Hi @thehiddenlevel! You've gotten great advice here from @pjcdn2005, @momcqueen and @femmefan1946.

The error Mo mentions is an existing one that will display to buyers, but will still generate a price if the dimensions entered can generate one (great catch PJ). Verbiage changes because of Post code/ZIP code differences in terminology (personally I think that Postal Code makes more sense than 'Zone Improvement Project' code, but that may just be mewink).

Keep us posted on any other questions!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Zone Improvement Project. So that's what it means. A good question for the next stamp club quiz! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPOl2WJyzlY
Message 16 of 16
latest reply