Shipping to Japan

I was wondering what experiences people have had shipping to Japan. I basically just sell Sailor Moon cards so I know I'm leaving out a lot of potential customers by only selling to Canada and US.

I have had issues with buying stuff from China (like things taking several months to arrive or not ever arriving). I have used zenmarket as a proxy service to buy stuff from Japan and that took about a month to arrive. I'm unsure if long shipping times is a general Asia thing

I ship most of my stuff untracked (does CP tracking work in Japan?).

So I guess I'm looking for tips for selling to Japan.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Shipping to Japan

I have had positive results shipping to Japan. They seem to receive their items very quickly. Usually within a couple of weeks. I don't use tracking so I don't know if CP offers it to Japan.  Maybe someone else on here can answer that.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Canada Post has ha handy chart available here that summarizes available services.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

As the other poster mentioned, shipping to Japan is fairly quick and personally, I've found the shipping service there very reliable. They do have tracked packet there which I think is fairly recent but  I've shipped using small packet there a number of times and have never had a problem.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I ship to Japan not tracked all the time and no recallable problems.

I do notice that I have a few Japanese buyers that use a forwarding company, I suspect this is because they buy a variety of things and not just stamps (what I sell).

Personally I consider Japan a worry free country to ship to.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

No problems shipping to Japan via Small Packet or Letterpost.

One of the more reliable postal systems.

Tracked Packet to Japan was added by Canada Post about 3 months ago.

-..-

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Thanks everyone! Sounds like I don't have too much to worry about 🙂
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I have shipped to Japan using small packet air (no tracking) with no issues. Believe their postal system is fairly reliable.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Is the postal system more reliable or are the buyers in Japan more honest. I think the latter.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:
Is the postal system more reliable or are the buyers in Japan more honest. I think the latter.

The Japanese postal system is VERY reliable, the buyers in Japan are extremely honest. Of course mistakes can be made by any postal service and if your buyer is a Yakuza member they might rip you off.

Bottom line, if I could only sell to one International destination it would be Japan.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

We ship to Japan all the time since 2005. Never a problem there. Usually ship untracked to Japan and South Korea. South Korea and Japan are the only 2 places we ship to in that region.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

No problems just ask their adress in English the item goes to destiny.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Ummm - be careful of that.

You can read an address in Roman letters but the Japanese postal worker may not be able to.

If Paypal has the address in Japanese, and your printer will make a label in Japanese, do it that way.

Do write JAPAN on the shipment in Roman letters though.

Canada Post workers may not be able to read an all Japanese address.

(Same goes for Cyrillic , Korean, Sanskrit, etc.)

Message 13 of 13
latest reply