Shipping to Russia

cooleastmarket
Community Member

Hi,

I ship all over the world through Chit Chats Express.  Their service is GREAT.

But today I had to send 2 refunds for goods not received in Russia.  I know it's not the fault of Chit Chats.  It's something happening over there.  I never had a problem to Russia until recently.  

Should I remove Russia as a destination?

Is there any reasonable way to ship with tracking that is reliable?  I have a low-cost product and couriers are not an option.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Leslie

Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shipping to Russia

Good idea. I did remove Russia and all South America from the list on May 1st this year. Local post office systems are too slow inside those countries: items do not get lost in most cases, they are delivered after 2 months or so.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Good idea. I did remove Russia and all South America from the list on May 1st this year. Local post office systems are too slow inside those countries: items do not get lost in most cases, they are delivered after 2 months or so.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for your suggestion.  I get a lot of orders from Russia and hate to drop them.   But it's not worth the aggravation.  If I get one more non-delivery that's it, they are off the list.

Thanks,

Leslie

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

My admittedly limited experience has been that many buyers will pay for their purchase again if they receive a refund before it arrives.

The key seems to be making it clear that they're getting their money returned to them and not some sort of insurance payout from a magic pot held by eBay or PayPal, and to ensure they're aware that they can (and should) pay for the item if and when it arrives.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

When you remove Russia from shipping list, you will notice your sales would be down, of course. I'd prefer that to losing $300 a month on 3 transactions to one country only. And, by the way, after refunding, given some more time for delivery, those 3 buyers of mine stopped responding. After 60 days ebay removed all contact and transaction info from the site.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I have shipped to Russia many times over the past 11 years, my Mother-In-Law lives there. Their postal system is badly backed up, and can take up to 2 months to arrive for even air mail, doesn't matter if it's shipped small packet air or light packet, will be the same outcome. I have had a few items damaged in transit (not due to poor packaging), and about 5 or 6 lost packages. I sent 3 or 4 gifts over the years to my Mother-In-Law, she hasn't receive any of them, and it's been over 10 years, none have arrived, so now I bank wire cash to her so I know she gets it. I have shipped lettermail with a letter and pictures inside, those have arrived to her. The only country I do not ship to is Russia unfortunately.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

The difficulty becomes, it is not the customer's fault. I do not sell a lot to Russia. I am running about 85% delivered or returned to me. South America I have no problems with.

I had a reasonably valuable shipment there several months back. My usual tolerance for parcels is around $300. For Russia it is $100. Customer paid a significant portion of the delivery upgrade costs as they knew the difficulty of their receiving parcels.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Russia is my #9 top destination in 2013.  I've only had to issue one refund and due to the length of wait time, I figure it was legitimate.  I continue to ship worldwide without exception.

Logo photo Logo.gif
Roblin's Garage - Classic Auto Salvage
Demorestville, ON / Scarborough, ON
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Definately not the customers fault, or my Mother-In-Law's fault. Not sure what 85% delivered or returned means, or what South America has to do with it though. So your customer from Russia had to pay a delivery upgrade cost? How much? This ensured a  successful delivery in a timely manner? I did also mention that I have shipped to Russia enough times I know the system by now. Over 10 years and my Mother-In-Law still hasn't received packages from me, not due to a slow system, theft maybe. Also have seen on the Russian news more than once over the past 5 years that there is clearly a problem with the huge back up of the postal system, and they are trying to fix this problem still as of now.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for all your ideas.  Obviously, shipping to Russia is problematic due to conditions there, not the fault of the customer or the shipping service.

Best regards,

Leslie

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

YOU NEED TO ASK...?

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@baybooty wrote:

YOU NEED TO ASK...?

Yeah NINE years ago they had to ask!

You got resurrected a dead thread from 2013!!!!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2013

The problem with zombie threads is that the advice may be out of date and incorrect.

Paypal has blocked payment from Russian PP account holders, as have some credit cards.

https://www.protocol.com/bulletins/paypal-russia-ukraine

Message 13 of 13
latest reply