Since when the eBay Return policy was change?

Hi there 

Since when ebay automatic accept return request????????

Just happened to me .

Im very upset that they are changing things over night.Please help

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

We may need more information.

But eBay introduced the Money Back Guarantee a year or so ago.

And eBay has had a Buyer Protection Program for decades.

Basically, No Returns does NOT mean No Refunds.

You have the right to demand a return before making a refund.

But if you take Paypal, you make refunds.

Did the buyer use Not As Described? Or was it a Buyer Remorse situation?

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

eBay automatically accept a return request from a buyer who stated didnt like it .
i had a 30 days return policy .But usually im the one that approved now they left me with no option to look after every return request since they stated is there new policy that if you accept returns will be approve by eBay
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Buyer didnt like it
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

whatever it is im the one who should make decision its my business and my merchandise
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

It was part of the Summer 2017 Seller Update

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/news/seller-updates/2017summer/returns.html

The regular eBay help page:

https://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/return-process.html

Under certain circumstances returns are approved automatically.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@fashionoutletdeal wrote:
eBay automatically accept a return request from a buyer who stated didnt like it .
i had a 30 days return policy .But usually im the one that approved now they left me with no option to look after every return request since they stated is there new policy that if you accept returns will be approve by eBay

Remorse return where buy pays the shipping, that's one of the circumstances where it's auto-approved.

After all you have a 30 day return policy (for any reason), buyer pays return shipping.

Buyer says I don't want it and is willing to pay to send it back, what decision is there other than to approve the return?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Its look like i missed this update.But i did some research and got the missing parts of the puzzle
Thank you
One think its worry me that the CS its not capable to handle that.They barely could handle something if you are not lucky to catch Utah
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

No humans involved, that's the idea.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Well they approved automatically mine i issue the buyer a return shipping label.The buyer didn send me the item back .Today they refund the customer and CS and Dispute center they claim that i refuse the return request when i never did and i did everything by the book
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I'm a bit troubled by the OP's case.  If this was a clear case of remorse return and the seller did not specify free returns in the listing, why would eBay get involved in purchasing and paying for a return label?  I'm hoping there is a part of this story that is missing, otherwise it's a worrisome precedent. 

The way I read the 2017 Summer Update, sellers still have the option of offering free returns.  The FAQs page on the link you posted does say:  

"Will I be required to offer free 30-day or 60-day free returns?

No. Sellers have a range of return options. However, we strongly recommend free 30-day or 60-day returns, as they are becoming ecommerce standards."

The main thing that concerns me about the OP's story, unless there is a missing factor, is that it appears eBay over-rode the seller's choice of return policy.  The other problem is the idea of eBay purchasing and sending shipping labels without the seller's involvement at all, including, I presume, choice of shipping service.  If anything goes wrong (as it did in this case), not only is the seller on the hook for the return shipping cost (or 2), but may end up with an unresolved case and an angry buyer who may never come back. 

I can't see this going well at all for cross-border or overseas returns.  Crikey, we might as well just hand our inventory over to eBay and be done with it. 

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

The main thing that concerns me about the OP's story, unless there is a missing factor, is that it appears eBay over-rode the seller's choice of return policy.  The other problem is the idea of eBay purchasing and sending shipping labels without the seller's involvement at all, including, I presume, choice of shipping service.  If anything goes wrong (as it did in this case), not only is the seller on the hook for the return shipping cost (or 2), but may end up with an unresolved case and an angry buyer who may never come back. 

I've read both threads about this and we are definitely missing information from the OP. . The OP said that the return was approved automatically so that means that it was a remorse return.  I'm not sure why you brought up that ebay is purchasing shipping labels without the seller's involvement since the op states that they issued the label, not ebay. But I have no idea why the seller issued a label for a remorse return. I also don't know how it is possible that ebay said that the return wasn't approved since it was a return automatically approved.

The information given doesn't seem to all fit together but there is no indication here that ebay is offering free returns on our behalf.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Oh yes, you're quite right about the label.  I was having some trouble understanding the OP's posts and missed that.  I apologize for the confusion. 

Still, why would the seller pay for and issue the label for a remorse return?  Perhaps this is what confused the eBay automated system, as it was expecting the buyer to confirm they had purchased a label and/or shipped the item back?  

This whole business of returns as it currently stands is (in my own view) a bit of a fiasco for us smaller sellers, especially those not in the U.S.  It's designed to make it  appear to buyers as if they're dealing with one monolithic seller (eBay itself), just like returning an item to any major retailer, completely automated and faceless.  I think we smaller sellers were better off being in charge of handling all aspects of the process personally, with non-compliance dealt with via seller defects.  I personally dread having to deal with the first international remorse return.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

nothing is missing its what i wrote .thats the truth .Today i spoke with a manager and he cant explain me nothing but he said its over lol
Message 15 of 19
latest reply

on 08 December the customer escalate from did not like to did not match the picture.I may missed this part not sure .But today i got a call from a manager and he said that i complete this by the book but than there cant be reverse in this case now its close.
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Once a return has been approved I didn't think that it was possible to change the reason for returning or possible to escalate (ask ebay to step in).

IF this was considered a not as described return request eBay needs to see proof that you have sent the buyer a return label. If they don't see that proof they may assume that you are refusing to send the label. I don't know if that was the situation in this case or not.

I don't think that you have ever said where the buyer is located...are they are in Canada?

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Hi there 

to make the story clear return request open " i dont like it " after 4 days escalated to NAD .Listing 272912909487

i dont know why i cant upload  the picture that she sent to ebay .They are colour played .I received the item today thanks God for it .Is a remorse return>everything match with my descriptions and all the photos that i provided to ebay .The lady didnt want to pay the ship[ping cost to return the item so she find way around .

I know its a Christmas time im for charity all the way but not this way .

I report her i provide eBay with all the new information .Im not expecting anything else but i want my file clear.

item received 

I added attachments so you guys could see what i see

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

i sent the label and eBay saw it .Just didnt work for me 

Message 19 of 19
latest reply