Small shipping labels

kashka
Community Member

Now that I have sold some items,I have found the labels I print are pretty small.I have shipped thru Shippo and Paypal and they are the same.Both my Small Packet and Expedited labels are 1/4 the size of an 8" x 11" sheet.Is this the norm?..Or could it be my printing software?..I cannot find settings anywhere to enlarge or decrease print size.So I thought I would ask first to find out what size everyone else has...Thanks!

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Small shipping labels

The labels are small. I increase by per cent to 119 on my printer for Small Packet and 109 per cent on domestic Expedited labels simply because my adhesive pouches don’t hold any sheet of paper larger than that. You may want to experiment with mild enlargements but be aware the machinery that scans labels for sortation likes its barcodes to be a standard size.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

The labels are small. I increase by per cent to 119 on my printer for Small Packet and 109 per cent on domestic Expedited labels simply because my adhesive pouches don’t hold any sheet of paper larger than that. You may want to experiment with mild enlargements but be aware the machinery that scans labels for sortation likes its barcodes to be a standard size.
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

A standard shipping label is 4" x 6.5", generally printed 2 up on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

kashka
Community Member

Thankyou for your advice :)...I think I may have found the option on my software for increasing the size. I'll experiment with it next time I have to make a label.And just out of curosity..would I be able to reprint a used label in Shippo..just for practice?

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

“.....would I be able to reprint a used label in Shippo..just for practice?”

Absolutely, this would be allowed. The platforms recognize sellers need at times to reprint labels. Just don’t try to use that reprinted label to mail at second time, that will fail.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

And if you have a Venture One Canada Post account you can order label pouches and an assortment of the labels(Airmail, Xpresspost, Expedited) at their website at no cost or shipping fee. Pouches come in bundles of 100. Additional supplies may or may not have an associated charge. Taping labels to your package can make them difficult to scan.

If you’re using a shipping label, make sure it is visible and affixed flat and wrinkle-free to the largest side of the box. The label must not wrap around the edges of the box or be applied over a seam or box closure. Do not cover the label with strapping or tape.

-CM

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Thanks..will do some practicing tomorrow 🙂
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodieswrote:

And if you have a Venture One Canada Post account you can order label pouches and an assortment of the labels(Airmail, Xpresspost, Expedited) at their website at no cost or shipping fee. Pouches come in bundles of 100. Additional supplies may or may not have an associated charge. Taping labels to your package can make them difficult to scan.

If you’re using a shipping label, make sure it is visible and affixed flat and wrinkle-free to the largest side of the box. The label must not wrap around the edges of the box or be applied over a seam or box closure. Do not cover the label with strapping or tape.

-CM

Thanksfor the reminder!  .I still have alot of pouches..running low on the airmail stickers.Will go and order some 🙂

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I haven’t increased the size but I do have to print them in landscape mode so that they fit the page properly.  That works well for me.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

For some reason, the Shippo platform default is portrait mode, whereas PayPal labels are landscape mode by default. A simple change in orientation solved this same problem for me when Shippo first launched on eBay. The first label I printed from Shippo, I did not change, and it was exactly the size the OP described. The PO could not scan it, had to input it manually, and it never got scanned again during the delivery process. When I print a label now, I need to changed to landscape each time.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Oh, that’s interesting. I printed my first Shippo label in July, I don’t remember that being the case but I trust that you do. Good catch.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I think it may also depend on your printer. I have an HP Envy and have never had to change the orientation when printing. It seems to adjust automatically? Anyway Shippo labels print properly, so do others.

BTW, it’s not an expensive printer, cost me $79 two yrs. ago at BB.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I had tried it in both modes and both were the teeny tiny size..but they must have been good enough for delivery purposes..I am going to play with some practice labels today and see what happens.Thanks again for all of your advice and tips! 🙂
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

The first time I used Shippo the label printed very small just as maggiebvintage described, changing the print orientation solved the issue. What browser are you using?
I find there are variations in how the "print label" page displays depending on what browser is used. Currently prefer Chrome on Windows 10 for that job as it provides easy access to both Chrome and System Default print options.
Taping labels is fine as long as it is crystal clear tape carefully applied without wrinkles or air bubbles.
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I agree that taping them is fine as is folding them over on a smaller box.  I just make sure that the barcode and name / address are on the same side of the box.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemerawrote:
The first time I used Shippo the label printed very small just as maggiebvintage described, changing the print orientation solved the issue. What browser are you using?
I find there are variations in how the "print label" page displays depending on what browser is used. Currently prefer Chrome on Windows 10 for that job as it provides easy access to both Chrome and System Default print options.
Taping labels is fine as long as it is crystal clear tape carefully applied without wrinkles or air bubbles.

Kawartha,I have tried it in both FF  and Chrome and unfortunately both give the same result...but thanks for the tip! 🙂

Message 16 of 16
latest reply