Snap Ship Drop Off Receipt

All:

I am wondering if other users of Canada Post Snap Ship can confirm when you take a parcel to be scanned do you receive a receipt to prove the package was scanned at the local post office. I don't get one and the counter staff say it's because the label was created with a commercial account.

I am not sure if this is the norm. I never created a Snap Ship account but the log in is the same as my EST account, so wondering if that is the issue. Was going to call Canada Post, to see if it can be changed or fixed, but wanted to see what other users are experiencing.

Cheers

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Everyone,

To confirm, @lady.stark and @ypdc_dennis are correct. Currently, receipts are available for US/International shipments - Canada Post is investigating domestic. I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have. 

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I only know about Small Pkts that I print through Shippo. They have a bar code on them and I always ask for an acceptance scan when I take them to the post office. Just ask them to scan it and give you a receipt. They might say it can’t be done, but tell them to just try. It does work, but only seems to work for Small Pkts. 

Makes me think changes are coming in the new year for Small Pkts.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Domestic shipments within Canada cannot have receipts printed. That's what I was told also. Everything else can have a receipt.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@bpl521_sell wrote:
I am wondering if other users of Canada Post Snap Ship can confirm when you take a parcel to be scanned do you receive a receipt to prove the package was scanned at the local post office. I don't get one and the counter staff say it's because the label was created with a commercial account.

No printed receipt is normal for SnapShip and EST Online domestic labels.

Expedited parcel will have a CC on the label for SnapShip.

Those via Shippo or PayPal will have SA/CF in bottom right corner.

-..-

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I use Snap Ship to send all my Expedited packages for Canada. When I take them to the PO for them to scan, I sometimes get a receipt & sometimes don't depending on the person at the counter. But when I check online it always shows the item was received & scanned. 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Yes - but you have to ask for it prior to them scanning it. 

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

When I print a label, there are two parts.

One part I fasten to the parcel.

The other I fasten to my paperwork. I take that to the PO and the clerk stamps it and tosses the parcel into the appropriate drawer.

Then I take it home and file it.

However, if I drop the labelled parcel in the nearest mailbox, I don't get a stamp.

I just staple my part to the rest of the paperwork.

The important thing is the tracking number.

Don't overthink things.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I also keep the other half of printed label with the tracking number on it. I write on it what the item is & the date shipped & keep it for my records. And since I pay for the labels with my credit card I can then make sure I was charged the right amount when my bill comes.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

If peace of mind is the goal, ask for a receipt when package is scanned. The knowledge of Postal workers varies greatly so don't always take the word of whom ever is serving you at the counter. Having known some local postal outlet workers for many years, a receipt is readily available & issued for ANY package I send from those postal outlets, whether the label is created through PayPal or Canada Post Snap Ship..

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

If peace of mind is the goal, ask for a receipt when package is scanned. The knowledge of Postal workers varies greatly so don't always take the word of whom ever is serving you at the counter. Having known some local postal outlet workers for many years, a receipt is readily available & issued for ANY package I send from those postal outlets, whether the label is created through PayPal or Canada Post Snap Ship..

I have received receipts for International but not domestic, a concern and probably very rare, but what would stop a dishonest counter employee just taking the package, you have proof that the label was created and paid, but no proof it was actually entered into the system if they don't scan it. Seems strange that their software would not automatically just print out a receipt. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Well, let's see.

I have a job that pays me steadily and perhaps even benefits and a chance at promotion.

Or I could steal this random package and smuggle it home only to discover it holds-- a used book or a set of salt and pepper shakers or a used cell phone or a rather nice leather jacket two sizes too small or.....

And run the chance of being arrested and charged with interfering with the mail, which is a more serious charge than mere theft.

So... common sense and sanity??

Since the label was not bought at the PO, the clerk may be confused about how to issue a reciept for nothing. No money changed hands, right?

Bring the other half of your label, with the tracking number on it, and have the clerk stamp that.

EASY.png

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Haha, yes ok. Smiley Happy

But if I was dropping off a item that's worth a lot of money, properly paid and insured etc. Doesn't get delivered I want to be darn sure that I have proof that the parcel was dropped off , scanned and now the responsibility of Canada Post to deliver. Tracking number is useless if parcel goes missing and no proof that it was ever scanned into system.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

"Haha, yes ok. Smiley Happy

But if I was dropping off a item that's worth a lot of money, properly paid and insured etc. Doesn't get delivered I want to be darn sure that I have proof that the parcel was dropped off , scanned and now the responsibility of Canada Post to deliver. Tracking number is useless if parcel goes missing and no proof that it was ever scanned into system."

If it does not get scanned in it will be a late strike with ebay. I have had a few items over the years that I even payed for a signature that were never scanned in at all on their journey or even signed for on delivery. Everything went ok only because the buyers were honest and actually received the items. One of the insured items was worth $600 and could have been easily scammed with an item not received claim and since it was just left in the buyers mailbox without being signed for I would have had no chance in an ebay claim or postal insurance claim since it was never scanned in at all.

Always get a scan in receipt or you will be sorry! Last week I had to go to 3 different post offices (6km of driving) with my insured package before I found a clerk who could actually scan it in and give me a scan in receipt.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Perhaps the operative word here is "would" not "could" as there really is no reason for any knowledgeable postal outlet counter person to not issue a receipt. for any package processed through their scanning system. However, I did say "knowledgeable" and so much really depends on the training of postal outlet clerks.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Post Office or postal outlet?

In any case it might be a good idea the next time you are in the Post OFFICE to ask for the PostMaster and explain your problem. It sounds as if outlet staff are getting poor training in your area.

At a guess, that is PM's responsibility. If not, she can pass it on to the appropriate office.

And probably would, because on a professional level, the Post Office workers do not like the Postal Outlet system.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Hi Everyone,

To confirm, @lady.stark and @ypdc_dennis are correct. Currently, receipts are available for US/International shipments - Canada Post is investigating domestic. I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have. 

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

@simeovivia0 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks, that pretty much sums up my experience, receipts for US and International but not for Domestic.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply