Store wake up process observations...

Where did August go?? Sadly my ebay August vacation is once again over.

I learned some stuff from my one week experimental closure in July that I applied to this closure, however things are different once again!

The July closure was for a week. This closure was for a month. Both vacations were with items hidden from view.

In July the "wake up" process whereby the items were viewable via searches etc was slow, a bit over 12 hours as I recall.

The August "wake up" process seems to be much slower. I turned off the vacation settings last night around 10 PM. As of now (11 AM) I have only 40 - 45 items showing (out of 3,800).

Generally the items showing up are the GTC listings that rolled over, but not all are.

The 40 - 45 items that show up are not always the same.

Last time after the store rewoke, items that had been listed then and there got lots of visibility and attention so I thought I'd be smart and I schedule started about 10 items after the wake up. None of them are showing in searches yet.

Just tried another experiment, listed a couple items and they do show in the searches , so moral of the story is don't schedule start new GTC items during the wake up phase of a hidden store vacation it does no good and wastes $$$.

I do have some auctions running they showed up and are showing in the searches which makes sense anyway as they are exempted from the "hide" process anyway.

I will have to wait until the wake up process is finished to restart my sales, probably tomorrow at the current rate.

So recap of main observations:

-the longer the vacation, the slower the wake up process seems to be

-don't bother to schedule new GTC items until the wake up process is finished no benefit, wasted $$$

I'll post other observations as the wake up process continues....

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Just after noon now, the overall search on my ID returns somewhere between 61 and 1250 items?

Oddly the bulk of the items do not return with the price displayed in the search results, based on seller id or by title search (for fun search in the stamps category for "colossal" that will return a large number of my items only, sometimes. Most do not yet have the price in the search results. They do of course if one opens the item).

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

No price in the search results....that’s a new one!

I have seen sellers suggest that if you bulk edit your listings (you don’t have to actually change anything) your listings will appear more quickly..   I have no idea if it does help or not.

Welcome back!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Are the awakened listings all showing the same wake up time?

If not, that might be considered a benefit, since your Store would constantly have "new" listings, a popular Search.

More likely an unintended consequence and  part of the slow listing that has been widely complained about on dotCOM in the past few days.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Where would you see a ‘wake up’ time?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

2:45 and running between 2,500 and 3,250 items showing.

About 2/3 have prices now.

Regarding wake up time, I could tell that it was generally renewed ones that were showing  because they had 29 days and XX hours, to run, meaning they had just rolled over. Note though that each "refresh" some different non-renewed ones were showing, so it was not always the same ones!!!

The rolled over ones were not the only ones in the results, maybe 85% were newly rolled. There were the odd ones with 12 days left etc. Who knows why they were showing up as opposed to the other 3700+ that weren't and why they were not consistently (not)shown!

Like anything around here anymore nothing seems consistent or flexible.

The good news is that the sales have woken up, have had a couple already which is not bad for me for a Saturday at this time of year. That is all that really matters in the end.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

4:00 PM all 3829 items showing in the queries now, all with prices.

So it took 18 hours from "unvacationing" for the items to all show up in queries etc.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

But.....who's counting.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@pjcdn2005

Where would you see a ‘wake up’ time?

I guess it's not the best description, but on your Active Listings list, there is a Time Left column, that would allow you to extrapolate whether everything was indexed at the same minute, or if they were minutes/hours/days apart.

Since I moved to 30 day listings from GTC, I've made a habit of relisting no more than 10 items at a time. So I would expect expiries in clumps of 10.

Nuh uh.

The 'clumps' are between three and eight.

My plan, such as it was, was to have 10 books then ten patterns then 10 books. The idea being that if someone looked at my Store, there shortest available list would be 25 items and the customer would get an idea of my other stuff.

So that didn't work.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply