Tangerine Not Supported Error

Yesterday, which was Tuesday, I was expecting to receive the routine "we sent your payout" email. Didn't happen, what they did send me though was an "unable to verify account details" no payout for you kind of blurb.

Upon checking out their resolution process they offered three options.
1. Login to bank account
2. Micro deposits or
3. Forward an account statement, it was stated this option may take several weeks to be reviewed.

Option 1 seemed the obvious choice so I did that. I was presented with a list of banks, scrolled down and selected Tangerine. The first two login steps went perfectly, the third and final step did not. In place of a successful login I got the "unsupported bank" error.

So, now I'm giving option 2 a shot, I've requested the micro deposits.

If those deposits don't arrive I'll not bother with option 3.

Until now, they've sent a payout to my Tangerine account every Tuesday since April of 2021. Ķind of disappointing.
Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: Tangerine Not Supported Error

Ok, so I just called again. They told me that Tangerine is no longer supported. And anyone who's using Tangering with Ebay right now got a pop-up saying they need to migrate to a different bank. They are hoping this won't be permanent, but they can't promise. So I guess I either open up a new bank account with Scotia Bank or I just sell in the States. 

Message 21 of 62
latest reply

So you're in the exact same situation as me... which is total BS.

What's the legalities behind a company forcing you to open up a new bank account in order to retrieve your own money with no other way to spend it or withdraw?

What's the legality behind telling you your money is locked AFTER you've already committed to making a sale on the site? Like even if you knew you had to add a bank account to access your funds, you would not have any way of knowing after the fact that your bank is not supported, especially since that bank is on the list of banks available to choose from.

Again, I was told 48 hrs by the rep. I'm going to wait and try again, then escalate this. I'll probably file a consumer complaint (https://www.ontario.ca/page/filing-consumer-complaint)... or maybe the BBB... not sure if it'll even do much or if they'll let me even file a complaint for this issue... but not sure what else I can do at this point.

I don't even have much money to cash out, so imagine me opening up a new bank account just so I can get access to $100 of my own money being held hostage by some company... It'd be easier just to abandon it... yet there's no way I want eBay to keep it just out of principle.

Message 22 of 62
latest reply

@mtg_crystal
I'm of the opinion that the CS person you spoke with knows nothing about the problem. It's categorically untrue that "anyone using Tangerine got a popup telling them they need to migrate to a different bank" No such notice has ever appeared here, and I seriously doubt any major corporation would ever approach a problem in that manner.
Message 23 of 62
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
@dark2025 @mtg_crystal

This thread goes back to September of last year and it goes sideways after the first couple of pages, but it may still offer some useful insights and info for you:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Payments/BEWARE-Tangerine-no-longer-accepted/td-p/483543
Message 24 of 62
latest reply

devon@ebay 

In spite of what you have been told, here's another example of a listing uploaded without a MP account registered.

t's unreasonable that they are not supporting a bank in their list, no backup option available for withdrawals, and no warning about any of this when you post an ad without a valid bank account on file.  @dark2025 

Message 25 of 62
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Does anybody out there use Tangerine to accept direct deposits from other sources, such as government payments or paycheques from a day job?  Have there been issues with these deposits too?

Message 26 of 62
latest reply

@mtg_crystal wrote:

Ok, so I just called again. They told me that Tangerine is no longer supported. And anyone who's using Tangering with Ebay right now got a pop-up saying they need to migrate to a different bank. They are hoping this won't be permanent, but they can't promise. So I guess I either open up a new bank account with Scotia Bank or I just sell in the States. 

=======================

You can sell on any of the ebay sites with the same bank account but it has to be a bank account in the same country that you live in.  I'm not sure what you mean by 'sell in the States' but if you mean sell on ebay.com, you will still need a Canadian bank account.

Message 27 of 62
latest reply

I only use Tangerine for eBay and so far haven't had any problems.

Message 28 of 62
latest reply

Yes I use Tangerine for everything, including direct deposits, never had a problem with anywhere else. I've done wire transfers too without problems.

Message 29 of 62
latest reply

@dark2025 wrote:

Yes I use Tangerine for everything, including direct deposits, never had a problem with anywhere else. I've done wire transfers too without problems.

Do you know if the routing number (or branch and transit numbers) used for those direct deposits and wire transfers was the same as the one that eBay uses?

Message 30 of 62
latest reply

Exactly the same. And I've tried multiple times so can't be a typo.

Message 31 of 62
latest reply

As a Tangerine user I can say with absolute certainty that the bank has just the one transit number. There support FAQs state this fact. The reason being the bank has just the one branch in Toronto there is only one possible combination of institution and branch available.
Message 32 of 62
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:
As a Tangerine user I can say with absolute certainty that the bank has just the one transit number. There support FAQs state this fact. The reason being the bank has just the one branch in Toronto there is only one possible combination of institution and branch available.

According to this page they have multiple routing number all located at the Steeles branch in Toronto. Although I only see the one number posted on the Tangerine site that doesn't neccessarily mean that is all they have.

https://canada-banks-info.com/routing-numbers/tangerine-bank-routing-numbers/

Here's a board post about an Uber driver having the same issue connecting their Tangerine account (Uber says incorrect routing number).

https://www.uberpeople.net/threads/tangerine-routing-number-eats.330727/

In any event, while this issue persists using Simplii Financial for an account is prettty much the identical service (no fees/free CIBC ATM access, Same day deposit of eBay payouts).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 33 of 62
latest reply

Here is a list of Tangerine routing numbers, taken directly from thr Payments Canada website, they are the Crown Corp that issues and supervises Canadian banks and assigns routing numbers.

I have no idea if this is the source if the issue with eBay but it's clear than Tangerine has more than one routing number.

recped_0-1676428095325.png

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 34 of 62
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I'm guessing that all those routing numbers were inherited from the former ING Direct Canada.  It's anybody's guess as to whether Tangerine uses more than one of them.

Message 35 of 62
latest reply

That's interesting, I remain sceptical though, the discussion has been around the correct routing number for chequing account holders, I'm sure the bank has routing numbers for other purposes too. I also see they're fooling around with pop-up kiosks in several cities, would those be assigned branch numbers??

At the end of the day though none of this matters, it is not rocket science. All a person needs to confirm their routing number is to refer to the bottom line on any cheque issued with their account. If no physical cheques are available simply logon to your Tangerine chequing account, Tangerine provides an image of your cheque with your account transit number provided on the bottom line. If youre having trouble understanding how to interpret the info just search support/ help using the term "routing" or "transit". They explain everything.
Message 36 of 62
latest reply

But if eBay is looking for a different routing numbers then the standard one might not work anymore. This would explain why Tangerine is on the list of supported banks but then fails when it comes to verifying. Old sign ups using Tangerine worked and still do, new sign ups don't seem to, something changed.

FYI - that earlier mention of Uber, Adyen also handles processing for them.

Message 37 of 62
latest reply

It would be interesting to hear how many "new" Tangerine customers opened their new bank accounts, and then immediately attempted to register them with eBay Payments without definitively confirming what their account transit numbers were. Brand new customers would have no cheque books to use for reference, it takes quite a lot of time to have cheques mailed out. Where are these folks going to confirm such an important bit of information as the correct transit number for their accounts? I suspect more than a few have asked their favourite search engine. That would not have been the most reliable source available.

Message 38 of 62
latest reply

No, these were not inherited from ING. Until very recently Tangerine like ING before them had only a single transit number for all accounts. Apparently they've recently begun experimenting with pop-up kiosks, that's a new development. I've no knowledge of these, no firm idea what their purpose is. It's hard to imagine they are staffed with the equivalent of bank clerks providing full service banking. Maybe they are sales focussed, sign up new accounts and then try and sell them other financial products. Perhaps because those are physical locations they require their own quasi branch numbers. Whatever they're doing, it may be that eBay hasn't adjusted, or won't adjust.
Message 39 of 62
latest reply

Well... after 48 hours I reached out to support again. They were adamant nothing can be done. Therefore I have filed a complaint with both BBB and Consumer Protection Ontario.

Let me know if there is another place I can turn to. I'm not letting this go.

Message 40 of 62
latest reply