Tangerine Not Supported Error

Yesterday, which was Tuesday, I was expecting to receive the routine "we sent your payout" email. Didn't happen, what they did send me though was an "unable to verify account details" no payout for you kind of blurb.

Upon checking out their resolution process they offered three options.
1. Login to bank account
2. Micro deposits or
3. Forward an account statement, it was stated this option may take several weeks to be reviewed.

Option 1 seemed the obvious choice so I did that. I was presented with a list of banks, scrolled down and selected Tangerine. The first two login steps went perfectly, the third and final step did not. In place of a successful login I got the "unsupported bank" error.

So, now I'm giving option 2 a shot, I've requested the micro deposits.

If those deposits don't arrive I'll not bother with option 3.

Until now, they've sent a payout to my Tangerine account every Tuesday since April of 2021. Ķind of disappointing.
Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

This whole situation with Tangerine is bizarre. I hope that my account isn't affected next.  

Message 2 of 62
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:
Yesterday, which was Tuesday, I was expecting to receive the routine "we sent your payout" email. Didn't happen, what they did send me though was an "unable to verify account details" no payout for you kind of blurb.

Upon checking out their resolution process they offered three options.
1. Login to bank account
2. Micro deposits or
3. Forward an account statement, it was stated this option may take several weeks to be reviewed.

Option 1 seemed the obvious choice so I did that. I was presented with a list of banks, scrolled down and selected Tangerine. The first two login steps went perfectly, the third and final step did not. In place of a successful login I got the "unsupported bank" error.

So, now I'm giving option 2 a shot, I've requested the micro deposits.

If those deposits don't arrive I'll not bother with option 3.

Until now, they've sent a payout to my Tangerine account every Tuesday since April of 2021. Ķind of disappointing.

@kawartha-ephemera 

That doesn't sound promising. Did you happen to do something to break Tangerine? Wonder if we can get some clarification on these scenarios?

-Lotz

Message 3 of 62
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Disappointing, but not surprising given the issues that newer adopters of Managed Payments have faced with Tangerine.

I still hold to my belief that this is possibly more an issue with Tangerine than it is with eBay, however.

Did you have a payout that was unusually larger than what you usually get?  Anything else unusual happen that affected your scheduled payout?  Just wondering what could have triggered this breakdown.

Message 4 of 62
latest reply

Yes. Due to medical issues my sccount was more or less on auto pilot from last April through till November. A few new listings were created here and there but basically was just selling down old inventory. As you may have imagined by  January my TRS status was in danger, urgent action was required. So i started running weekly auctions which have gotten sales moving in the right direction. I don't know if it was coincidental or not but the restriction went on within minutes of being paid for an auction valued well below $100. There wrre other small orders come in too. I've got a sneaking suspicion all of us with Tangerine accounts may eventually come to grief with them.

Message 5 of 62
latest reply

Yes. Due to medical issues my sccount was more or less on auto pilot from last April through till November. A few new listings were created here and there but basically was just selling down old inventory. As you may have imagined by  January my TRS status was in danger, urgent action was required. So i started running weekly auctions which have gotten sales moving in the right direction. I don't know if it was coincidental or not but the restriction went on within minutes of being paid for an auction valued well below $100. There wrre other small orders come in too. I've got a sneaking suspicion all of us with Tangerine accounts may eventually come to grief with them.

@kawartha-ephemera 

Very strange when you consider anyone trying to enroll Tangerine displays as an approved bank from the drop down. The issue rears its ugly head at the very end of the process.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 62
latest reply

devon@ebay 

Tangerine Bank again.

Message 7 of 62
latest reply

I'm very confused by this whole Tangerine unsupported bank error nonsense. During the last hour I checked my bank account, took note of two ebay micro deposits, and relayed the amounts to Payments and presto!

Hi *******,

Thanks for confirming the microdeposit amounts we sent to your bank account.

We verified your bank details and you’re all set! If your payouts were on hold, you’ll start receiving funds to your bank account, provided there are no other issues that need your attention.

If we haven’t already, we’ll reverse the microdeposits from your account within a few days.

If you have any questions or concerns, just get in touch. We’re here to help.

Thanks for being a part of the eBay community.

I've no idea why Payments is behaving this way with Tangerine bank, but it seems obvious the "unsupported bank" error is bogus.

Message 8 of 62
latest reply

It's a curious situation for sure. Tangerine's login process is a little unusual, it took me a while to figure out what  goes where. Perhaps the ebay verification by login system just doesn't mesh well with Tangerine?

Message 9 of 62
latest reply

It's a curious situation for sure. Tangerine's login process is a little unusual, it took me a while to figure out what  goes where. Perhaps the ebay verification by login system just doesn't mesh well with Tangerine?

@kawartha-ephemera 

That's a definite possibility. Whenever I sign into Tangerine I get hit with one of my multitute of mystery questions for step 2 of 3. RBC only requires 2 step(PC). I've hit that mystery question requirement randomly with CP.

I thought when I graduated years ago I wouldn't have to worry about pop quizzes. Boy, was I wrong!!! This is all giving me flashbacks of trying to connect  with dial-up? 🤖

-Lotz

Message 10 of 62
latest reply

Hey I'm having problems as a Tangerine user as well... keeps saying bank is not supported. I went through chat as well and they basically passed the puck and said to try again in 48 hours and contact support again if it doesn't work (which based on this thread and a couple of other threads it's probably not that easy of a fix).

Can you tell me how you got the microdeposit option? I only see the option to add a bank account through logging in or manually with your banking details.

I'm surprised they allow you to sell without a verified bank account first... last time I sold something was when they were still depositing to PayPal. I totally forgot that's no longer a thing. It's unreasonable to expect someone to open a new bank account for this. I can't even use the money on other eBay purchases. Is there another course of action I can take? I don't want my money to be taken hostage by eBay.

Would I have a chance at filing a consumer complaint against eBay? https://www.ontario.ca/page/filing-consumer-complaint

Message 11 of 62
latest reply

Nobody's expecting you to open a new bank account for managed payments.  You can use a chequing account you already have if it's supported.  The consensus though is that it's better to keep your eBay monies separate from everything else.

Just curious about on what grounds you'd make a consumer complaint against eBay.

Message 12 of 62
latest reply

As I mentioned they are not taking my Tangerine bank account. It's in their list when adding a bank so I don't see why it's not supported, but apparently it's not. They also do not have a secondary method of withdrawing the money - heck they won't even allow me to use the money on other eBay purchases - effectively taking my money hostage unless I open a new bank account. I'm not a frequent seller, it was kind of a one time thing as I was cleaning house - like I said the last time I sold anything was years ago. Would you really want to open up a bank account with another institution purely for one eBay deposit?

It's unreasonable that they are not supporting a bank in their list, no backup option available for withdrawals, and no warning about any of this when you post an ad without a valid bank account on file. For someone like me who haven't used eBay since the PayPal days I didn't even think about needing a bank account now.

Message 13 of 62
latest reply

My recent situation was a bit different from your problem. I had my longstanding payment account "Restricted" which meant I could not receive any payouts of the funds held in my account until I successfully verified my bank account details. Upon initiating the verification process that is when I was presented with choices, those being account logon (got the error) and request micro deposits. Like I said your situation is different, it's more like an account creation process but as I recall in the beginning everyone was offered the micro deposits verification option. There's probably an obscure link, path to that option somewhere.
Message 14 of 62
latest reply

@dark2025 wrote:

As I mentioned they are not taking my Tangerine bank account. It's in their list when adding a bank so I don't see why it's not supported, but apparently it's not. They also do not have a secondary method of withdrawing the money - heck they won't even allow me to use the money on other eBay purchases - effectively taking my money hostage unless I open a new bank account. I'm not a frequent seller, it was kind of a one time thing as I was cleaning house - like I said the last time I sold anything was years ago. Would you really want to open up a bank account with another institution purely for one eBay deposit?

It's unreasonable that they are not supporting a bank in their list, no backup option available for withdrawals, and no warning about any of this when you post an ad without a valid bank account on file. For someone like me who haven't used eBay since the PayPal days I didn't even think about needing a bank account now.

I don't know if you ever took computer science in high school, but one thing it taught me is that computers can only do what you tell them to do and they can only respond to quirks in ways that they've been programmed to do.  As I suggested earlier, I think there's the possibility that this is more of a Tangerine issue, not an eBay issue, but the "glitch handling routine" that's been programmed into Managed Payments can only give a "institution not supported" error message.

Just over ten years ago, Tangerine was created out of the old ING Direct, which may have been running on code quite different than what parent Scotiabank and other Canadian banking instutions use.  As @kawartha-ephemera hints, there may be something about its security system or other aspects of the site's coding that's not simpatico with Managed Payments.

Message 15 of 62
latest reply

Okay that's just one point, but again eBay is still holding my money without a way to get it out. These things happen, I get it, but how can a company just hold your money without giving me another reasonable way to get my money out? Or at least be able to let me spend it on its own website.

Now, I did go back to my email and found this thing from Mar 2021 about my account's listing capabilities being disabled unless I complete the registration for eBay to manage payments. I did not register but it looks like my listing capabilities were not disabled. If it was disabled as stated I would have dealt with this before creating any listings and probably wouldn't have listed in the first place. And obviously did not state it would hold my money forever until I enter a bank account that it approves of.

Message 16 of 62
latest reply

@dark2025 wrote:

Okay that's just one point, but again eBay is still holding my money without a way to get it out. These things happen, I get it, but how can a company just hold your money without giving me another reasonable way to get my money out? Or at least be able to let me spend it on its own website.

I don't think PayPal offers its users more than one way to get credited funds out, either, unless you count the feature of using those funds for payment.  The more ways for users to "get their money out" means the more potential for security issues.

Fun fact: In the early days of PayPal, users were able to transfer credited funds to their credit card accounts until MasterCard and VISA nixed the idea.

@dark2025 wrote:

Now, I did go back to my email and found this thing from Mar 2021 about my account's listing capabilities being disabled unless I complete the registration for eBay to manage payments. I did not register but it looks like my listing capabilities were not disabled. If it was disabled as stated I would have dealt with this before creating any listings and probably wouldn't have listed in the first place. And obviously did not state it would hold my money forever until I enter a bank account that it approves of.

Yeah, not sure what happened there with the disabling of listing capabilities, but I believe it did happen with users who were currently active on the site who ignored the deadline.  Can't tell you much more than that.

That email does say that you get paid directly to your bank account and that eBay initiates payouts and there's a "learn more" hyperlink.  I don't think it's fair to expect an email that's supposed to be short and to the point to provide a huge explanation of the workings of Managed Payments.

Message 17 of 62
latest reply

Yes exactly, Paypal at least had some other way of you using up your money in your account. There shouldn't be any additional security issues. In fact, plenty of online retailers have their own online "wallets" - Amazon, Starbucks, even Tim Horton's... I'm not sure why you're so inclined to defend eBay over some seriously anti-consumer practices.

And I clicked the "learn more" button which just led me to the main eBay page (I know I'm a couple of years late to the party, but if they're going to link to the policies they need to make sure it's visible and not just disappear for people who are late). I'm guessing they didn't put in a disclaimer about what happens if you don't link a bank account because listing capabilities should have been disabled, so you had to complete registration and add a bank account in order to have it re-enabled, which clearly did not happen in my case.

Message 18 of 62
latest reply

There have been some similar issues for new sign ups in the US who are trying to use major banks (BOA ect). it has often been determined that they were using the wrong routing numbers, a few times at least because they were trying to use routing numbers intended for BOA brokerage accounts instead of regular checking accounts (even though you CAN write cheques from those accounts).

Out of curiosity I thought I would Google Tangerine routing numbers. Most of the result show 061400152 as the number, a few state that this is the only Tangerine routing number.

I did find this page

https://canada-banks-info.com/routing-numbers/tangerine-bank-routing-numbers/061400152/

It indicates that this is the Primary code but it also show 12 other routing number related to Tangerine. I don't have any insider knowledge but this COULD be the reason for all the Tangerine issues.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 19 of 62
latest reply

Has anyone been able to fix the issue? I just listed an item for sale yesterday, (and you can only add payment details AFTER, mind you) and I've got tangerine. I get through the whole process, even choosing which checking account to use, and I'm getting the "Use funds in EBay preferred" for the selling costs, and then, I get "We do not support this bank." Tangerine is the only bank account I have. I called EBay yesterday, they told me to wait 24h and to call them back if it's not fixed. They would forward to the IT department. Just tried tonight, and still getting the same error message. My account is old, so I still have my Paypal linked. And I asked the guy on the phone yesterday if the funds could be transfered to my PayPal and he said no. So now what?

Message 20 of 62
latest reply