Tariff code

Why do I have to enter a tariff code to the shipping label for international sales when I'm trying to print from my phone? When I print a label from my computer it never asks me for that information.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Tariff code

You should always put it anyway, to make sure the custom processing goes smoothly. Missing information like this can slow the delivery.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Tariff code

I don't know why it is required on the app and not on a pc but like the other poster, I always put it in.  It looks like you sell the similar items so once you look up the number once, you shouldn't have to do so again. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Tariff code

Yeah, I posted about this a few weeks ago. They made it mandatory on the app after they made changes to add UPS shipping and broke labels. I have to look it up every time now.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Tariff code

Use a pen.

Ballpoint is less likely to smear.

The HS code is for the customs officer and makes no difference to eBay's labelling requirements.

EASY.png

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Tariff code

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Use a pen.

Ballpoint is less likely to smear.

The HS code is for the customs officer and makes no difference to eBay's labelling requirements.

EASY.png

You might want to join the 21st century, customs officers are not looking at packages to get an HS code. Customs clearance is all automated and mostly done in advance. Almost all my International shipments are pre-cleared through destination customs before they have left Canada. Manually writing the HS code on the package means manual handling which is a major cause of delays on International shipments.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Tariff code

I Ship to the USA, but no other International destinations...haven't used HS codes in years and that has had no impact on the delivery.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Tariff code

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

I Ship to the USA, but no other International destinations...haven't used HS codes in years and that has had no impact on the delivery.

@mrdutch1001 

Strangely if you used Shippo/CP and I believe even PayPal in days gone by if that field was left blank or in the wrong format you got an error message and would not be able to complete the transaction.

What is the reason for the HS code?

Harmonized Codes are internationally recognized codes to classify an item for tax purposes. Harmonized Codes (also referred to as Tariff Codes, TARIC, Customs Tariffs, Harmonized Tariff Codes, and Harmonized System Codes) expedite the shipping process for international orders.Mar 16, 2023

As for the format that eBay is using for country of goods...Canada/Province vs country where goods were originally from, I believe they created the form based on the premise the item being sold was manufactured by the shipper. Not goods that came from somewhere else.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Tariff code

there was a time when the HS code was mandatory to complete shipping, but that is no longer the case and as I said previously I have not used HS codes for several years now as not using them has made no difference to the delivery of the item..

Message 9 of 9
latest reply