The NAICS Classification has Changed for 2022.

byto253
Community Member

I just found this when filing taxes this year.   There is no longer a separate NAICS code for online/electronic shoping

"Internet retail, direct selling, and mail-order retail are not separately classified from traditional in-store (also known as "brick and mortar") retail. Units that engage in retailing by any of these methods are classified based on the type of good sold."

Last year I used  "454110 - Electronic Shopping and Mail-Order Houses" but that is not longer an option.  

The best fit I am seeing is "459999 - All other miscellaneous retailers"  - The category description is below, with the last line the one that is the best fit I can find for my selling of a variety of used goods - the bold and italics are mine.

"This industry comprises establishments, not classified to any other industry, primarily engaged in retailing specialized lines of merchandise, such as tobacco and tobacco products; artists' supplies; collectors' items, such as coins, stamps, autographs and cards; beer and wine making supplies; cannabis and cannabis products; swimming pool supplies and accessories; religious goods; and monuments and tombstones. Establishments primarily engaged in retailing a general line of new and used merchandise on an auction basis are also included."

Here is the link to the full new NAICS structure.

https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=1369825

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=1181553

North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) for those of us who have never heard of it.

The North American Industry Classification System or NAICS is a classification of business establishments by type of economic activity. It is used by government and business in Canada, Mexico, and the United States of America. Wikipedia

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

So, did you end up going with code 459999 for eBay ?

Message 3 of 3
latest reply