To Russia with Tracking

Who here ships to Russia?   On another board a member sold a coin and the buyer requests it come with tracking.  When fiddling around trying to get services all I can see that says "tracking" is the real expensive Priority Worldwide Pak.  If the other services are tracked, why does it not say?  Or why can't I get it to show up?  

Also, I didn't think Surface was tracked.  Apparently it is.  Why, then, is it such a taboo service?  It is slow, but if the tracking eventually shows it was delivered to the buyer, couldn't a seller get any claim refund appealed on the grounds that the buyer obviously will then have both the money and the item?  

I don't use Surface out of fear, but maybe then I have been worrying about nothing.   ?

Getting back to shipping to Russia, I haven't yet done it.  Who here has shipped with tracking and what was the cheapest tracked service you know of to there?  If International Parcel Air is tracked, why doesn't it show?  Why just the expensive one?

Can anyone weigh in and help this seller out, offer suggestions, directions, pointers, anecdotes.   🙂  

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Selling-on-eBay/Who-has-sold-to-customers-in-Russia/qaq-p/363914

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: To Russia with Tracking

@dutchman48 wrote:

Might also look up what countries Canada Post does not insure to as well as what they do not insure.

Their site is a disaster to find things on, but I remember they would not insure to Russia due to high losses and the coins and currency are not insurable. That may have changed but it was on their exclusion list at one time.

If anyone is good at finding things on the CP site, please post them here.

Personally, I would not ship anything surface or ship anything to Russia. You are asking for problems, but the choice is yours.

Here is a link to Canada Post International Shipping Chart which is a summary if CP International shipping options with insurance amounts, signature option availability and so on.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/RCRZ-e-ISC.pdf

Here is a link to Canada Post International Destination Listing which has detailed information on each country.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGintdest-e.asp

PS To get around the mess Canada Post makes of their site each year (and more often), I bookmarked all the web pages that interested me. When CP changes the rates early each year, I wait until they go in effect (this year Jan 17) and then test each saved CP links to see if it works and for those that do not, I find it and save it again. Some pages are just gone. This year I had to find 2 or 3 only which is about normal each year. I also rename some of the saved links to something more meaningful because the saved web page name can be meaningless.

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Re: To Russia with Tracking

Thanks for posting that first link, 'pocos'.  I looked all over the place on the Canada Post site yesterday and couldn't find it, although I knew I'd seen it in previous years.  You're right, it's a good idea to bookmark these and check them every year. 

Actually, the list for the Russian Federation is a tome in itself!  It's hard to think of categories of items that are not on that list.  Here's one restriction in particular I found interesting: 

• information about the Earth's interior.

I presume they're referring to mineral deposits.  Best not send the movie "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" to Russia.  A lot of other items on the Russia list are equally illuminating. 

Actually, some of the other countries/destinations, taken at random, make interesting reading.  I don't have Cook Islands on my exclusion list, but I found this caveat with regard to alcohol:  "Intoxicating liquors are accepted only if addressed to: The Manager, Cook Islands Liquor Supplies."  I imagine the "Manager" could run his own store from this arrangement, with his own prices.  

In any case, thank you for these links.  I can never seem to find them.  

Message 22 of 22
latest reply