Tracked Packet USA - Shipping label: Customs description and signature

When I created the label, I typed a description for the Customs declaration. However, notice how on the label the description text does not wrap, so the text just disappears outside the description field/cell. I don't know if this formatting problem is an eBay problem or a Canada Post problem.

I guess next time I will try using carriage returns (Enter) so that the description may appear on multiple lines.

Also, at the bottom is an area for Signature. Are we supposed to sign that in pen?

toronto_tuttle_1-1696002250236.png

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

1st Question: You're right about using a brief and accurate and geneneric description there. Often it will not fit the label. If you ship regularily to specific countries your packages become familiar at customs.  I recommend old school using a separate clear packing list envelope with 2 copies of a proper manifest in it. It never hurts.

2nd Question: Always sign it. It doesn't have to be your cheque signing signature but keep it consistent.

Extra Observation: Never ship anything internationally without the correct tariff number. I notice you left the box blank. Big no-no and asking for trouble. It also needs the "County Of Origin" which is where the item was made, not where the item is being shipped from.

Unless you sell discwasher brushes that were made in Canada I'm guessing you put your own country in there and not "China" or "USA" etc where it was made. Many sellers put their home country which is the  "Point Of Origin".  eBay labels should fix that. The POR is already in your return addy. Customs needs the  country your item was made (COR) to determine duty rates. One could argue a $10.77 item will not acrue duty but it's best if your packages become familiar at customs to do them consistently and correctly.  The object is to clear customs quickly and not have your stuff held for inspection. 

Just another reason why regular international shippers should attach a proper manifest to the package.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the item description, there is plenty of room for it on the label, if text would wrap in that field. Whoever coded that form didn't enable text to wrap, so text disappears even though there is plenty of space for a few more lines below what shows.

I don't know what a tariff number is. I just followed the eBay process to prepare and print the shipping label. What is a  a tariff number and how do I know what to enter?

Where does eBay labels obtain the Country of Origin from? I recall it being entered correctly on another label I printed for another listing. Did it take that value from something I entered in the eBay listing?

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Oops, I haven't been signing mine. I thought it was using some kind of digital signing.  There's very little room there! Can anyone else confirm that we're supposed to?

As for country of origin, there's a bug in eBay labels right now where no matter what you put, it changes it to Canada / Your province. They're aware of it and working on it.

To Toronto_tuttle, there's a question mark box beside the tariff code box. Hover over that and it will give you more information on how to find the code.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

To Toronto_tuttle, there's a question mark box beside the tariff code box. Hover over that and it will give you more information on how to find the code.

Where is that? During the shipping label creation process?

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

@flipistics wrote:

Where is that? During the shipping label creation process?

Yeah.  There's a section at the bottom of the page for filling in the customs info.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

I guess that was where I entered the description for customs, which doesn't print properly. I must have missed or overlooked the tariff code field.

Thanks

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

No trouble. 

* Text can't wrap on that line because a package may have multiple items in it each needing a line. That's why a manifest is better. Each item needs to have it's own weight, COR and price as well as the description. 

Here is the link to find your tariff codes from Canada post. UPS has a better system but CP is easier to access. 

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e1s1

@flipistics  is correct. The eBay label is generating the wrong COR. If you want to see what a manifest should look like you can buy a label from Shippo.

I recommend also to brush up on tarrifs if you expect to ship Internationally. You also need to know about what they are and what the restricted goods for each country are.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

Oops, I haven't been signing mine. I thought it was using some kind of digital signing.  There's very little room there! Can anyone else confirm that we're supposed to?

I've always signed mine (your right there is not much room). Years ago I had one sent back pointing out to me it hadn't been signed (it was going to the US). Guess it's to show you are honoring it's truth.

Made me paranoid ever since even though it may have changed.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Just want to add I don't think it matters if it's pen. I always tape over mine so whatever I use is protected anyways.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

As intime has said the main reason is it allows for up to 5 or 6 items to all be one the same form. I've had several items listed, all shorted like that. I always though the more lengthy details are still connected to it in the bar code itself that was prepared to get the label done, if scanned. 

In my case I often hand write the word "Doll" - mostly Barbies I sell, since I'm not sure how much they look at that box visually only (if at all) but just in case, it's a little more explanatory.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

More trivia:

A tarrif code and an HS (Harmonized System) code are the same thing. 

The code may be different if you send the same item to different countries. (rare)

It not a bad idea to check individual country import restrictions 1st if it's made out of wood or some other organic material. EG: Say your record cleaner has a rosewood handle . You want to send it to Germany. I would check restictions 1st. I once had sticks from the Victory Tour held up in Frankfurt for over a month due to a wood species restriction. Never send a knife of any kind (even a butter knife) to the UK.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

You bring up a good point. It would be great if someone could translate all of the bar code info here and tell us 

For example, you change the eBay title to "doll". I change it to "music book" for various reasons. 

Is the full eBay title still in the bar code? What exactly is in there?

What handlers along the way see a full translation of the bar code or is it only available to software processing?

Can you get a hand held postal bar code translator?

Now my head hurts...

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Yes, that's true. Some countries have unexpected restrictions. For example, chocolate Kinder eggs, with a tiny toy in the centre, are commonly sold in Europe and Canada. But, you can get into big trouble if you try to ship them to the US or even carry them with you into the US.

I will shortly sell a couple of used iPods and iPads, containing lithium ion batteries. I know that I need to follow some specific declaration and labelling requirements if they sell to US buyers.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

The bar code just contains a number so that won't help you to read, but that number may link customs (and the post office) to a full eBay description along with all the other details. A QR code can contain much more information. 

You CAN get a hand held bar code reader. There are lots of apps that can read them too. I found a hand held one at Value Village a while ago. I think I paid $10. I love it. It makes searching products (and even entering the barcode number on the desktop version of eBay) much faster. I wouldn't pay a ton for one though.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply

Thanks. That's a relief.  The bad guys can't use one to "xray" your packages.

Wish I had one 25 years ago when my kids were little. I'd come home with $400 in groceries. Might have been able to match the stuff with the heiroglyphics on a 2 foot long receipt. 

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

A big advantage of  selling only "vintage" is no lithium built in power supplies.

Wouldn't it be great if all electronics had user removeable batteries that plugged in like an SD card? 

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Wouldn't it be great if all electronics had user removeable batteries that plugged in like an SD card? 

It would be more convenient for the customer. But, it requires additional volume and weight, to accommodate an accessible battery compartment and connectors. Samsung used to market their removable batteries as a feature, but later removed that feature in favour of non-removable batteries to reduce phone weight and volume.

@intimewithmusic wrote:

A big advantage of  selling only "vintage" is no lithium built in power supplies.

True. I need to dig into the specifics of what I will have to do to label and ship my iPods and iPads if I sell to US or International. I know there is some required labeling, and for US destinations they must go ground-only, as used devices containing lithium batteries cannot go by air. 

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

A few notes:

Always sign your customs declarations.

eBay Canada is aware of the "Country of Origin" glitch - myself and several others pointed it out to the eBay Canada reps during eBay Open this past week and they acknowledged it (including the main guy in charge of shipping labels on eBay Canada).

It doesn't really matter that the description is cut off on the shipping label - all international shipping labels contain what's known as "Electronic Advanced Data" (EAD) customs declarations so when they are scanned by foreign customs authorities all the information shows up digitally on their computer or handheld device or whtaever (including the full description you enter). You should always be as specific/descriptive as possible (within reason). Don't just put "shirt", rather put "men's large cotton dress shirt". This is becoming increasingly important as more countries are utilizing EAD - just this month the EU specified that they are using EAD to make pre-departure approvals of packages; a vague description on a customs form could result in delays as they have to confirm the contents before dispatching.

For your iPods and iPads, since the battery is installed in the device you're fine to send it anywhere in Canada or the U.S. using any service offered by Canada Post. No labels are needed on the exterior of the box. Canada Post can not ship lithium batterires to any other country, so eliminate International shipping (aside from the U.S.) if you intend to list your iPods/iPads for sale and ship with Canada Post. 

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Don't forget to DATE your signiture as well. There a small space for DATE on the right side of the label.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply