Tracked Packet USA - Shipping label: Customs description and signature

When I created the label, I typed a description for the Customs declaration. However, notice how on the label the description text does not wrap, so the text just disappears outside the description field/cell. I don't know if this formatting problem is an eBay problem or a Canada Post problem.

I guess next time I will try using carriage returns (Enter) so that the description may appear on multiple lines.

Also, at the bottom is an area for Signature. Are we supposed to sign that in pen?

toronto_tuttle_1-1696002250236.png

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Tracked Packet USA - Shipping label: Customs description and signature

Thanks for the excellent information.

@dinomitesales wrote:

For your iPods and iPads, since the battery is installed in the device you're fine to send it anywhere in Canada or the U.S. using any service offered by Canada Post. No labels are needed on the exterior of the box. Canada Post can not ship lithium batterires to any other country, so eliminate International shipping (aside from the U.S.) if you intend to list your iPods/iPads for sale and ship with Canada Post. 

Thanks. That makes it simple, if I use Canada Post.

Chit Chats has other restrictions for packages going to USA. Chit Chats says:

"electronic devices that are pre-owned, opened or are not sealed in the product's original packaging that contain lithium batteries are prohibited from air travel whether domestically or internationally.

There are also strict requirements for the labelling of shipments. Packaging for these shipments must contain the labels: 

• "Restricted Electronic Device"
  • "Surface Transportation Only"  "

And for domestic shipments to Canadian destinations, Chit Chats says: 

"Chit Chats Slim shipments are prohibited from containing batteries of any kind." [You must use another Chit Chats service.]

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

I understand you're expressing confidence for CP's internal system .  I don't trust the technology at all. You probably heard recently a guy nearly lost his $300K retirment inheritance because Canada Post lost his certified cheque behind a drawer. So much for technology.

Most shippers don't put eBay listing titles on a CN22 because the visible characters will  elude to the contents. Before the label is printed you need to edit that out and replace it with a generic acceptable descrption that matches the tariff code to satisfy customs and keep your item from theft by handlers or others.

With respect to vagueness of description I understand what you're saying. There is a difference between a rock and a diamond. We used to get away with rock but now that's under scrutiny.  Until the entire process is automated shippers have to indicate the minimum dictated by customs. That's hard to keep up with these days. In the meantime.  I'd rather have my item delayed than stolen. Maybe "rock" becomes "carbon"?

With respect to the eBay CN22 label it's rubbish. 

• It substitutes the POR for the COR
  • If you've sent your customer a discounted  invoice for a combined purchase, eBay fabricates fictional prices onto the CN22.  Equalizing line items for simplicity has been a normal albeit incorrect practise however eBay's label also fictionizes the Total for duty purposes. 
  • The eBay invoice and the packing list don't match up to their own CN22. 

Once that label is printed and it's wrong your only recourse is to manipulate the system print another  and get a refund.  

Maybe I'm old school. Not so long ago the US customs demanded 3 copies of the customs form attached to the outside of all packages.  I'll be glad to trust eBay's labels on international packages when eBay's got your back at US or  EU customs.  Without accurate labels we're not there yet.

At the end of the day every shipper is responsible for what's on and in their packages.  It never hurts to properly attach a couple extra commercial invoices that have accurate addressing and customs info. 

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

Isn't the date already on the form?
It is on those I print with a Pitney Bowes meter at work, and you're supposed to ship the item the same day, not a week or a month later.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@fh991586 wrote:

Isn't the date already on the form?
It is on those I print with a Pitney Bowes meter at work, and you're supposed to ship the item the same day, not a week or a month later.

@fh991586 

@transtraders 

For courier shipments rule used to always be sign, print and date. Shipping out and receiving. With CP labels I print I have always just signed. You are just declaring that goods are acceptable for shipping. If I happen to miss it, the clerk, if they catch it will ask for a signature. Now whenever you sign it's on a reader so no hard copy because everything is a bar code label.

-Lotz

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

To be honest, I never even noticed there a place for the date until today and because the date is on the label already, I will probably still leave it blank.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

I was told by a CP rep. to SIGN and DATE the labels, so thats what I do. I find it  a little rediculous too.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Yeah, me too, since it's so small and easy to miss on the other end of the signing line!

Message 27 of 27
latest reply