U.S. Light Packet

cjacki
Community Member

Would anyone have the link to the new 2015 light packet rates? I can.t find it.

Found on the board that it's $5 up to 300g? I also need the next rate up.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: U.S. Light Packet

Just wonder how a seller can use light packet as a shipping method if the required manifest can not be printed through Paypal.  This seems to be totally nuts!!!

Message 21 of 50
latest reply

Don't hand them in at the counter.

Drop them in the mail box outside the PO.

The guy who picks everything up for the terminal doesn't care.

The workers in the terminal are too busy, and have a headache from the noise.

Personally, i think someone put the wrong instructions on the label. "Manifest Required' instead of 'No Manifest Required"

Bad proofreading.

Message 22 of 50
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

The guy who picks everything up for the terminal doesn't care.

The workers in the terminal are too busy, and have a headache from the noise.

Is that a right approach?

Maybe workers at the terminal will not notice, because they - supposedly - don't care or are too busy? 

That will work perfectly, until someone finally notices and returns your 100 light packets to your home.

And you will get your 100 defects for late or no delivery and will be out of business.

Message 23 of 50
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

Nothing changed. Here is the new label, printed today, with the new 5.00 CAD rate.

As we supposed, no tax was charged, so the final label price went from 4.36 to 5.00.

??

$3.98 is what I was paying for a light packet up to 150 g, not $4.36.  I believe postage only has GST added, not provincial tax, so would it not have been $3.98 in all provinces?

Message 24 of 50
latest reply

Is that a right approach?

That's what I would do.

Message 25 of 50
latest reply

??

$3.98 is what I was paying for a light packet up to 150 g, not $4.36.  I believe postage only has GST added, not provincial tax, so would it not have been $3.98 in all provinces?

No, you are wrong. Look at the label I attached to my earlier post.  4.36 is what I always paid (Québec).

Message 26 of 50
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

??

No, you are wrong. Look at the label I attached to my earlier post.  4.36 is what I always paid (Québec).

$3.98 in Manitoba thoughout 2014.  Didn't realize I was paying less than other provinces.

Message 27 of 50
latest reply

I've always thought too that postage had gst and provincial tax on it but apparently that isn't true in all provinces.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/support/helpcentre/post_office/taxes.jsf

Most of our goods and services are subject to the GST and/or to provincial sales taxes (PST, QST or HST), where applicable.

To international destinations and Canadian Forces Post Office

$5 or more
(total price per transaction for single or multiple items)

No taxes

Less than $5

• GST and QST if mailed from QC
  • HST if mailed from ON, PEI, NB, NS or NL
  • GST if mailed from the other provinces and territories
Message 28 of 50
latest reply

That's interesting.  But, then again, provinces can add their provincial tax to anything they want.  A couple of years ago, Manitoba even added home insurance and life insurance premiums to their list of taxable services.

Message 29 of 50
latest reply

Ouch. Insurance is already expensive.

Message 30 of 50
latest reply

My USA light packet just went from $3.98 to $5.00 for packet less than 100 grams......ouch! That is a HUGE jump.

Message 31 of 50
latest reply

Yes, you are correct. Went from $3.98 including tax to $5.00. Ridiculous.

Message 32 of 50
latest reply

@pippitrue wrote:

My USA light packet just went from $3.98 to $5.00 for packet less than 100 grams......ouch! That is a HUGE jump.

The weight allowed now is up to 200 gram. Last year it was 150 grams. Was 100 grams before.

So for the $5 you can now ship heavier items cheaper than before if they fit LP 2 cm thickness limit. Not much help but see if you have a few heavier items to list.

Message 33 of 50
latest reply

Just wondering if the "Manifest Required" problem with Light Packet labels has been fixed yet?  Anyone have any more info about this?

Message 34 of 50
latest reply

It seems to be a non-issue.  The clerks at my postal outlet said I was the only one who even asked about that.

Message 35 of 50
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@pippitrue wrote:

The weight allowed now is up to 200 gram. Last year it was 150 grams. Was 100 grams before.

So for the $5 you can now ship heavier items cheaper than before if they fit LP 2 cm thickness limit. Not much help but see if you have a few heavier items to list.

YES Woman LOL!!!!  Hurrah!!  I haven't yet had the time to print out the new postal rate table, but I've been noticing that my sewing patterns that weigh around 180g have been coming up with a lower cost than my already "subsidized" shipping cost on the listings (they used to cost me $6.37, and I had my "subsidized" rate set at $5.17 U.S.)  I've been refunding buyers around $1.05-$1.10 US on each of them.  I guess I can now reduce the shipping cost quote on all those to about $4.00 U.S.  Great news!

On the "Manifest Required" Issue:  I keep a printout of each label I do (I get them date-stamped at my local P.O.), so I have them all for 2014/15.  I just looked at the first of the "new" style (small) Light Packet labels I printed, which was in August of 2014, and guess what?  It says "Manifest Not Required" under the rate box.  So does the last Light Packet label I printed in December, 2014.  However, every Light/Small Packet label I've printed in 2015 does say "Manifest Required".  

I suspect -- just an educated guess -- that this refers to the requirement to have the contents itemized, which we already do if we use Paypal labels.  If that's the case, then that warning is redundant as long as the contents/custom information is completed.  

I have a particularly well-informed and helpful postal lady at my little rural P.O. (it's not a drugstore counter), so next time I drop off a parcel, I'll ask her and will post the reply here.  So far she has accepted all my Lt/Sm Packet parcels without further ado.  

If anyone gets any definitive response about this in the meantime, please post it here! 

Message 36 of 50
latest reply

It is still a rip off for people selling a lot of items under 100 grams. They could raise the weight to 500 grams and it would still be a rip off to many sellers.

Don't worry, they will keep raising rates every year until they destroy our economy even more. Even their insurance is ridiculously priced.

Message 37 of 50
latest reply

I have never been asked for a manifest by my post office, only the declared value. They do not even ask for HS codes even though I put it on the C22 to be safe.,

Message 38 of 50
latest reply

Just wondering if the problem with Light Packet showing "Manifest Required" on Paypal labels is still going on? 

Message 39 of 50
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

I have never been asked for a manifest by my post office, only the declared value. They do not even ask for HS codes even though I put it on the C22 to be safe.,

You know, sometimes they are shockingly unprofessional.

A few days ago I went to a post office I was never before. Here is the question I was asked: "why did you cut out the strip code from your label"? "I CUT OUT WHAT???". "There should be a strip code on the label. You cut it out". "I DIDN'T CUT ANYTHING OUT. LIGHT PACKET LABELS HAVE NO STRIP CODE".  Finally, the clerk (a woman in her 50') said she will accept it, but the parcel will be surely returned to me, because the label is not valid. Of course, she also pointed out that she works at the post office and she knows better, if a label should have a strip code or not.

Can you believe that? Smiley Frustrated   

Message 40 of 50
latest reply