UK Royal tracked mail

I purchased an item from the UK in Jan and it was posted on Jan 18th by Royal tracked mail. The anticipated receipt date (according to eBay) was Jan 31st.  I have never received it. All the tracking shows is that it was forwarded overseas to Toronto then nothing.  If it was a small inexpensive item I would not be as concerned but this including the shipping was $60 USD.  I opened an INR case a couple of days ago and wrote a note to the seller saying I was afraid this item was lost in transit and requesting a refund with the provision that if it should show up at a later date I would certainly return the money to them. I heard from the seller today saying that the tracking showed what I said and that there was"". I wrote back again saying that I was concerned it was lost and told him that it should be covered by the Post Office and that he should check with them.  Wondering if anyone knows how long UK Post Office would take to do a refund to the seller . Was not satisfied with the seller's reply as there is nothing I can do and it would have to resolved from his end. I am not sure how long I should let the matter drag on before I ask eBay to step in & resolve. I have had lots of items (untracked I might add) come from the UK and it normally only takes 10-14 days. Thoughts anyone??

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

UK Royal tracked mail

What letters did your tracking number start and end with? It might have been sent Registered mail, for which tracking is good for squat once it hits Canada.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

UK Royal tracked mail

Your Estimated Date of Delivery was Jan. 31 so, wait until Feb. 28 to open your Item Not Received case. Other users would probably advise you to wait longer, but I don't like timing-out on the ebay 30-day MoneyBack Guarantee for any reason because it's the only thing that's got your return postage covered if the item turns out to be Significantly Not as Described.

Be prepared, however, to do the right thing and re-send those funds back to the seller mid-March when your item arrives. They almost always arrive. But with registered lettermail, they arrive late, even from low-risk places like the UK. My own from Italy and Germany in December took two months and more to come when I know darn when it's a 15-day trip. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

UK Royal tracked mail

Unless that service had insurance or the seller purchased separate insurance, I doubt that they would be compensated by the post office.  Regardless, the seller will have to refund you if you don't receive the item. You're not required to wait for them to receive the insurance.

I haven't bought anything from overseas for quite a while so have no idea of how long it takes but since you have already opened an inr you have 30 days from the date it was opened to ask ebay to step in. I wouldn't wait that long as it has already been over a month but I think sometime next week is reasonable.  If the seller is being really blasé about it then I would probably be less inclined to wait too long.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

UK Royal tracked mail

Seller had second thoughts and sent me a separate message saying  I was right and that he had been away but would look into it and to give him a few days which is reasonable. With tracked packet in Canada the person mailing it does have insurance coverage so I would assume this to be also true in UK as it costs a lot more to ship this way. I am just not sure at what point you can open a claim at PO. I have done so in Canada and been paid but it has been quite awhile and I just cannot remember.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

UK Royal tracked mail

Tracking # started with RN. I did not realize I had 30 days from the anticipated delivery date so that gives me a bit of time on it. He is more responsive now and is going to check with the PO. I have never had items take that long from overseas MJ. I find they usually are here within 2 weeks (that is untracked). I actually mailed an item to UK once just small packet airmail and got FB within 5 days!!

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

UK Royal tracked mail

Canada Post won't even investigate a missing international package for a long time...perhaps 6 weeks but that really isn't your problem.  The seller needs to refund you and then file a claim with the post office.

I'm glad that the seller contacted you and is looking into it.

Was the service call international tracked?

This is Royal Mail's description of that service.

Ideal for sending important or valuable goods, offering tracking at five points after despatch as well as an online confirmation of delivery.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

UK Royal tracked mail

10 - 14 days IS the normal delivery time, it might take an extra week but any more than that would be quite rare.

Since you are willing to repay if it should show up then I would not delay the claim much longer, you have already waited more than a month.

Definitely don't leave it until the last day you think is within the time limit to file, eBay might calculate the time a bit differently and you could lose out.

While I'm not accusing the sellers of intentionally trying to delay you it's certainly not unheard of.

Also remember you can open the claim at any time and then it will stay open for 30 days until you must escalate or it will close on it's own and you will have lost your opportunity.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

UK Royal tracked mail

I actually did open a claim as I was uncertain of how long I had & did not want to lose out. The seller & I have been corresponding through the eBay INR claim so all is on record. I am certainly willing to repay the seller should it just have gone astray & eventually shows up but I fear this one may be somewhere else. Recently a pkg from Amazon was showing as delivered but I never received. Upon checking further found out it had been delivered to some place in Kentucky, a long way from Manitoba! 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

UK Royal tracked mail

Upon checking further found out it had been delivered to some place in Kentucky,

Not Erlanger, KY, I hope?  Amazon using the GSP???

Message 10 of 10
latest reply