Unesco stamp with error question

I don't know what happened to the previous thread that I read. I can't find it now. I would like to know if it is worth selling these stamps as I purchased some on Saturday unaware of any error, just got them for postage, and I know my little PO still has them.

I'm not a stamp dealer or collector, I sell craft items but if I can make a buck or two I could sell these and buy others for postage.
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lol don't mortgage your house, but if you can still find them around, it definitely won't hurt to buy them. Worst case scenario - use it as their intended purpose (postage) later if you can't sell them. You're not losing anything.

I highly doubt I can find them in Vancouver PO's lol... I'd buy a few if I actually come across them at counter price and then list them on eBay right away =P

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Go buy every last Unesco stamp they have - mortgage the house!

The ld thread: http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Well-there-are-buyers-out-there-if-the-right-stuff-is-sel...

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

I assume you are just joking, right Pierre?
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Joke?  Not really

Take a few minutes and have a good look at these 50 sales on eBay:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_odkw=canada+unesco&_sop=3&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=260&_ipg=20...

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Just my opinion, but based on some experience.

Do as pierrelebel says and then list them immediately.

Do NOT hold on to them in the belief they will continue to rise in value. While it is possible, more will also be found, especially in small POs where they don't get or decide to ignore the memo.

The more there are on the market the lower the price will go.

Make your money and then move on and don't look back.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

lol don't mortgage your house, but if you can still find them around, it definitely won't hurt to buy them. Worst case scenario - use it as their intended purpose (postage) later if you can't sell them. You're not losing anything.

I highly doubt I can find them in Vancouver PO's lol... I'd buy a few if I actually come across them at counter price and then list them on eBay right away =P

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Thanks everyone. As zee said, I can use them for postage anyway, which is why I bought them originally. Thought it would be fun to list in stamps for a change so I did it!

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Awesome! You got two bids already Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Not as obvious as the St. Lawrence Seaway stamps  with the inverted image...  from 1959...

I do remember someone buying a ... sheet of stamps.... in Winnipeg, as indicated on the internet...before the error was noticed.

These stamps are sold on eBay..... listed as fakes..... legitimate reproductions of the original stamps with the error

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5508.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xst+lawrence+seaway+can...

How much would one of those St Lawrence stamps from 1959 be worth...      as much as $15,000 each... with approximately 400 known to be circulated.

A First Day Cover at $20,000

These UNESCO stamps are a minor error ... wrong photograph ....compared to an inverted image... a printing error..with a  very limited circulation. 

How did Canada Post NOT catch that St. Lawrence Seaway inverted image?

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

The well known Canadian stamp errors and varieties expert John Jamieson wrote the history of the "Seaway Invert" ten years ago:

http://www.saskatoonstamp.com/prs_seaway.html

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

My numbers for value of the St Lawrence stamp came from a Unitrade Stamp Catalogue... 

They do not represent true sale value...fair market value

Compared to the St. Lawrence stamp,  the UNESCO stamp is not immediately obvious as an error....

The error was not a printing error but an error with respect to what was placed  on the stamp.

The true value of this stamp will not be know  until how many are known to be in circulation... and then how much is someone willing to pay for the UNESCO stamp

Sale records on eBay will help determine that value ... as of today,  but will not define future value 

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

In post #5 femmefan wrote "Do NOT hold on to them in the belief they will continue to rise in value. While it is possible, more will also be found, especially in small POs where they don't get or decide to ignore the memo. The more there are on the market the lower the price will go.  Make your money and then move on and don't look back."

She is right of course.

Way back in June 2009 when Michael Jackson passed away, stamp sets from St-Vincent featuring Micheal Jackson sold at crazy prices within the few hours following the announcement of his death.  I know I sold out in less than 55 minutes (over 70 sets).  Some buyers grossly overpaid ($20 to $30) for these stamps thinking they would gain value over time.  Today the same sets can be acquired on eBay (and elsewhere) for about $4/$5 (much less than I sold them for six years ago).

Pricing is all about demand.  It seldom lasts a long time.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Wow, glad I took everyone's advice. I no sooner list them and they are sold. Good thing I thought to buy stamps the other day. Too bad I didn't get twice as many!
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

The saddest Seaway Invert cover is in the Postal Museum.

It is on a postcard, sent from Ottawa to England, from one Russian emigre to another.

The postcard bemoans the sender's situation, no job, no friends, no money, wish you were here or I was there....

And even when it was sent the Invert had been discovered and publicized. Copies were selling at hundreds of dollars.

It really does take a little attention to notice the error. images.jpg1959_stlawrence_stamp2-1.png

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Femme, that is so sad!
Message 15 of 20
latest reply

Yep the advice here is good, there are lots of new ones showing up and I see the price is already starting to average out lower.

I was figuring that the souvenir sheets would be less available, and on Friday it was looking that way, but apparently a lot of people were waiting in the wings as there are lots of them there now!!

Unfortunately life got in the way the last couple days which has kept me from getting any of mine listed till now, which means it looks like I missed the crest..... 😞

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Ric, hope you listed some. They are still selling although the really high prices are no longer being realized. I'm off to the PO with my latest sales.😀
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Hiya, well I see people are selling them in pads of 50 now.... looks like there is going to be a lot of them out there....
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Well, only one person is selling a pack of 50. Could be a PO employee, the package is still sealed and has an inventory sticker on it. I know that a letter did go out recalling the stamps, I saw it at my post office.
Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Because I sell to stamp collectors, and I strive to put new stamps on the packs, I usually am ordering stuff like the souvenir sheets in pads of 50. Unfortunately I am still working on the pads of the last Unesco stamps so I hadn't yet ordered 50 of this one... .too bad.... (even one guy selling x50 will make all the "speculators" soften how much they'll put out for them though....)
Message 20 of 20
latest reply