Using postage stamps without concequence

I've been selling on eBay.ca on and off for the past few years and I'm really trying to make it work this time. I specialize in selling video games, and when I ship them I use Canada post over sized letter to ship them. This works out great because it qualifies perfectly and maintains a low shipping cost to buyers. However, trying to have cash on hand for the shipping is becoming difficult, there is no way to print letter labels using eBay or PayPal to get the same rates as I do when I ship in person. When I ship in person I ask them to do each item individually so that my receipt shows the postal code or zip code of the item sent. I have been keeping this for reference If any problems were to arise and I need proof of shipment. It would be much easier if I could just use stamps on my over sized letters, it would save precious time and money. So, my question is can I ship out my items with postage stamps without having eBay scorn me later for only having a receipt for 100 postage stamps, if they inquire as to how my items were mailed. Thanks to any and everyone for their input.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

"I ask them to do each item individually so that my receipt shows the postal code or zip code of the item sent. I have been keeping this for reference If any problems were to arise and I need proof of shipment."

I understand you ship using low cost Canada Post Lettermail within Canada. I typical DVD costs less than $3.00 to mail.

However, you have no protection whatsoever if a buyer claims non receipt.  eBay and PayPal will NOT accept your post office receipt as proof of mailing.

"It would be much easier if I could just use stamps on my over sized letters"

Go ahead.  You can.  Many sellers do. And postage can be purchased on eBay and elsewhere at prices well below face value.  Since lettermail or letterpost or light pocket postal services do not offer insurance and receipts cannot be used with eBay/PayPal to protect you, it makes no sense to get individual receipts. 

You still need receipts for the postage you purchase for income tax purposes.

"if they inquire as to how my items were mailed"

eBay does not care how you ship.  The inquiries only come if a buyer complains about not receiving his purchase and postage receipt will not protect you in any case: you will have to refund the buyer or PayPal will do it for you.

To better understand the PayPal protection program for sellers, please take a good look at:

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

You can buy mint postage on eBay at discounts of 20% or more, depending on the amount. This often is profitable even after the occasional spurious "loss" claim.

Use your feedback to tell the customer when the movie was mailed. "Sent Canada Post 12/4/2013 Air Mail" will reassure him that it is on the way and remind him it is coming from Canada. And leaving early FB encourages the customer to reciprocate.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Go ahead and use postage stamps as receipts you get are useless to you if a claim is filed, they do not show not show the item arrived which is what you must show. You can use them for things like expedited too. I get the post office to process the item and deduct the attached postage. I get lots of stamps a ta  discount of about 50% so this helps a lot.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Buy the oversized lettermail stamps in the rolls of 50 and you're good. Receipts, even with the postal code on it, dosen't help you with a dispute. It's as good as garbage.

As a postal clerk, I beg you, don't ask the clerk to do every individual envelope seperately. It's not going to help you.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@theafkgamer wrote:

Receipts, even with the postal code on it, dosen't help you with a dispute. It's as good as garbage.

It does count if you buy third-party insurance. But this is the only instance where it will help.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Make sure if you are buying your own stamps from outside the post office that they are mint unused stamps (with gum/glue on the back) and not stamps that missed being cancelled. 

Reusing stamps is illegal.....

There are other threads that have more information but searches for "canada postage" "canada face" in the stamps category will bring up a pile of them. (look for Mint Never Hinged, Mint Hinged, full gum etc. Do not buy the ones saying uncancelled or mint no gum) 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

This is an old thread from over four years ago!  Why bring it back today?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

This is an old thread from over four years ago!  Why bring it back today?

Because it is Thursday of course. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply