Verify your return address. Is this spam?

Just received a message from eBay saying to verify my return address. Very careful these days about messages with links. Does anyone know if this is okay?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Verify your return address. Is this spam?

@triber wrote:

Just received a message from eBay saying to verify my return address. Very careful these days about messages with links. Does anyone know if this is okay?

@triber 

@apmtrade 

Just got the same message. Current default address accepted without any apparent conflicts. The message had a lock attached to the link. Would be nice if eBay would advise prior to sending these requests.

devon@ebay 

Can you shed any light as to the validity of this message please?

-Lotz

Just confirmed. Mail arrived in both eBay and my gmail. That is usually a  good sign(verification) if it is or isn't real.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Received the same info in eBay messages, but eBay glitz.... will not accept Alberta when clicking on the province.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@triber wrote:

@triber 

@apmtrade 

Just got the same message. Current default address accepted without any apparent conflicts. The message had a lock attached to the link. Would be nice if eBay would advise prior to sending these requests.

devon@ebay 

-Lotz

Just confirmed. Mail arrived in both eBay and my gmail. That is usually a  good sign(verification) if it is or isn't real.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I got it too, when I clicked verify it gave me a blank address form to fill out, which I wasn't going to do, so I just hit "cancel" or "back" can't remember which one and there was my correct address with options to edit or not, it was ok so I just left it.

I got the message in both ebay messages and my regular mail.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

If it's in your Ebay messges, it's ligit.   

So i had a few seconds and figured i'd verify and clicked to verify, signed in...and then was presented with a blank form and was asked to enter all my info, including my name.   That's not 'verifying' that's starting from scratch.  Verifying is them showing me the info they have on file and if it's correct, i click verify.

So i didn't do anything.  My address is the same that's been on file with Ebay for 23 years and is the same one i confirmed when i signed up for Managed Payments.

EDIT:  I know what's going on.  The email is from Ebay Canada.  I signed up with Ebay.com before Ebay Canada existed.  So, Ebay.com has my info on file, but Ebay. ca does not.  The two aren't talking to  each other any more?  Ebay Canada seems to know about everything else i  am doing on Ebay.com.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

EDIT:  I know what's going on.  The email is from Ebay Canada.  I signed up with Ebay.com before Ebay Canada existed.  So, Ebay.com has my info on file, but Ebay. ca does not.  The two aren't talking to  each other any more?  Ebay Canada seems to know about everything else i  am doing on Ebay.com.

It's not that. I had the same thing open with my accounts that are with Ebay Canada. If you click on "Cancel" on the add address screen, it shows you your current return address(es). It's just poor programming.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

@fergua3 wrote:

It's not that. I had the same thing open with my accounts that are with Ebay Canada. If you click on "Cancel" on the add address screen, it shows you your current return address(es). It's just poor programming.

@flipistics 

Re: Poor programming.

Exactly. Proves how much faith we have with anything received from eBay. There have been too many examples of this with announcements, surprise updates (changes with no heads up) and offers that show up in our mail. It's like nothing gets pretested or proofread before it's sent to us. Then throw in how anything released on dot com and how it will not always work the same way on ca. Makes for a dogs breakfast when it comes to being prepared for for anything suddenly arriving in our inbox. 

-Lotz

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

devon@ebay 

Is it legit?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

well in my case i clicked on cancel and it said i had no info on file, which is probably because i signed up with ebay.com years ago.  But i guess even if i had signed up with ebay.ca i would have still run into much the same situation, except when i clicked on cancel i would have actually seen my address.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@triber wrote:

@triber 

@apmtrade 

devon@ebay 

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! We are sending this message out to all Canadian sellers as a reminder to update their return address. Stay tuned for more information soon for some exciting updates! 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

devon@ebay 

Is it legit?

Hi @femmefan1946! This is real and official!  

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Good to know.  I didn't do it though, same reaction as others.  Fill in from scratch, no need - my address in my account is correct - I can verify that by checking my account.

It may be from eBay but what is the point of filling in a new form from scratch?  Does it feed to another database somewhere???   If I know something is correct I am not going to fill in a form for not discernable reason.  This does not feel like "just verification".    

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I received the message on only one of my accounts, after checking I noted that it was the only account that did not have an address for returns so the message was not only "real and official" but also correctly targeted (in my case at least).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for clarification!

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@triber wrote:

@triber 

@apmtrade 

devon@ebay 

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! We are sending this message out to all Canadian sellers as a reminder to update their return address. Stay tuned for more information soon for some exciting updates! 

Re: Exciting updates. Hmmm....

Reduced fees on shipping for Canadians? Increased listing traffic? Redact promoted listings?

Ooopsie. Tripped on the optimism wagon!!! Badddd me!!!

-Lotz

Message 15 of 15
latest reply