Very high prices using ebay shipping calculator

I have a current item listed for sale, and have received a message about it asking why the shipping rate to the US was so high. I used the ebay shipping calculator when I posted my listing, which resulted in an estimate of $34, but when I just checked the Canada Post shipping calculator (for an item with the same weight and dimensions) I got a shipping quote of $24.85. Can someone please explain to me why this is, and if it's possible to charge the buyer the lower (Canada Post) rate, because I'm told that I cannot revise the listings shipping rates? Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Very high prices using ebay shipping calculator

Did you mix up yer metric and english measurements?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

No. But I just noticed that I somehow marked the weight as being 1 Oz. rather than 1 Lb. That's not good 😞 Any suggestions of how to fix that?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It is not possible for the correct measurements to give a price of $35. $35 is waaaay over size.

You cannot change anything on an auction once you have bids. You have choices:

- cancel all bids and cancel the auction
- let it keep going
- let it go, telling any bidders the shipping is wrong and that you will refund the difference

It still sounds like you have mm where ya should have cm, or cm where ya should have inches and you are getting charged dimensional weight.

Don't use lbs and inches, that went out in 1974.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thanks. I ended up having to cancel three bids, and end the auction to relist the item. I paid much more attention to what I was doing this time!

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@balance100462 wrote:

Thanks. I ended up having to cancel three bids, and end the auction to relist the item. I paid much more attention to what I was doing this time!

That sounds like the best choice in this situation, because the high (erroneous) shipping may have scared off bidders anyway.  

By the way, are you using eBay/Paypal labels for your parcels?  Although there have been some recent issues with the labels printing out properly with certain browsers, you do get a discount on Expedited, Tracked Packet and Xpresspost. At the shipping rate you mentioned ($24.85), it sounds like you weren't using Small Packet Air as the shipping service.  

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

If yer using a "pound", that is under 500 grams. Under 500 grams goes small packet air to the USA for $10.35.

Calculated shipping in Canada might be a good idea as yer initial bids were low. Canada can vary wildly depending on remoteness of location. I am up the road so I would be about $9. Whale Spit NL would be closer to $15.

No, there is no place called Whale Spit. I made that up. No, I am not making fun of NL. I know folks from NL. Most of them are armed.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

No, there is no place called Whale Spit. I made that up. No, I am not making fun of NL. I know folks from NL. Most of them are armed.

Well, there is a Whale Cove on the Digby Spit, in Nova Scotia, just down the road from me.  Does that count?  

Don't know if the attached map link will work, but it really is there.  Maybe I can cajole the local municipality into renaming it Whale Spit - why not, it's a cute little 'double entendre', I like it!

https://maps.google.ca/

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Most of them are armed.

Two arms... one left...  one right

Message 9 of 9
latest reply