We are testing a new View Item experience on desktop

The item listing (also known as View Item) page on desktop will be going through a redesign this year. As part of this effort, we are going to simplify and modernize the user experience.

Here are some of the key highlights of what you can expect:

1. Larger images
  2. Increased prominence of the seller information.
  3. Bring critical information like Item specifics and seller description higher up on the page before any modules that show other items & ads.
  4. Improve the hierarchy of the page, so we show the most important information in the right order.

We will be rolling out the change in phases as we design the final experience. We will be running several tests and gathering user feedback. 

Your feedback is valuable and will help us in creating a better eBay experience. Thank you for buying and selling on eBay. 

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: We are testing a new View Item experience on desktop

Desktop view is certainly in need of an overhaul, I would agree with the highlighted points.

I would remind those responsible for the new design that there are sellers like myself that highly value the ability to view the site in "classic" (desktop) mode while using their mobile devices. All of this week, while using my mobile phone "Classic" view has NOT been fully functional. The usual left side of page listing filters have been completely absent, nothing appears there but blank white space. Conversely, when I switch to "Mobile" while still using my mobile browser the filter link is present but clicking on it does NOT open the filters box. I'm using the latest Android OS with Edge browser.

The ability to view Seller Hub pages as well as search and listing pages in "Classic" view while using a mobile device is important. I object to being forced into mobile view at every turn as has been happening more and more often this year. Please allow users to choose their preference, Classic or mobile view. Personally, for mobile view, I use the app. I don't want to be forced into that view when using a browser.
Message 2 of 34
latest reply

my feedback is don't hide the 'see sellers other items' link at the very bottom of the page where few buyers will ever find it.  It should be right beside (or below) the seller's name and feedback score.  

For some reason Ebay doesn't seem to attribute much importance to buyers being able to see sellers other items and that's a mystery to me.  It's a very important link.

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

Could I suggest that it would be useful if you had a mockup of the new look that people could offer public feedback on prior to rolling it out in A/B testing?

Also, thank you for all 4 of these. I am curious what eBay considers the most important information to be.

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

my feedback is don't hide the 'see sellers other items' link at the very bottom of the page where few buyers will ever find it.  It should be right beside (or below) the seller's name and feedback score.  

For some reason Ebay doesn't seem to attribute much importance to buyers being able to see sellers other items and that's a mystery to me.  It's a very important link.

You may not be seeing the latest version of the new format (it's changing almost every day). Currently on most listings I'm see a partially change location for the seller info, the new location in a page wide block just below the description with the old location still active.

I was seeing the big seller info block at the very bottom last week and briefly when the original location was not showing at all.

Currently my main comment is that this could use a little work, maybe put a biorder on it it or make it reverse type in a blue box. Perhaps even reduce it to "Seller Description".

Item description from the seller

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 34
latest reply

@recped
The current desktop description header, both the text and format is identical to that being used in the app. If new site design holds true to pattern I expect the overall app style will be applied to desktop. At the moment that description header does stick out like a sore thumb, have no idea why they stuck that one app element in there.

I'm expecting the desktop design to follow the app look and feel but with less hidden information. Compare the app description header I've screenshot with the desktop version, the style works well in the app. It looks silly on desktop because the surrounding elements have not yet been updated to a matching style.

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:

@recped
The current desktop description header, both the text and format is identical to that being used in the app. If new site design holds true to pattern I expect the overall app style will be applied to desktop. At the moment that description header does stick out like a sore thumb, have no idea why they stuck that one app element in there.

I'm expecting the desktop design to follow the app look and feel but with less hidden information. Compare the app description header I've screenshot with the desktop version, the style works well in the app. It looks silly on desktop because the surrounding elements have not yet been updated to a matching style.

@kawartha-ephemera 

The other thing that could be majorly in play here is Buyers and Sellers are currently seeing random displays. Really depends on how they are searching and maybe even the listings they are looking at. If there is no consistency this will definitely cause confusion. There will always be buyers and sellers using 1 way or the other and/or both to search.

=Lotz

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

Could I suggest that it would be useful if you had a mockup of the new look that people could offer public feedback on prior to rolling it out in A/B testing?

Also, thank you for all 4 of these. I am curious what eBay considers the most important information to be.

Rolling it out for testing with the general eBay population is the only way to test these things. For effective testing you need LOTS of people. to reach even 5% of users means millions of people.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 34
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

The other thing that could be majorly in play here is Buyers and Sellers are currently seeing random displays. Really depends on how they are searching and maybe even the listings they are looking at. If there is no consistency this will definitely cause confusion. There will always be buyers and sellers using 1 way or the other and/or both to search.

=Lotz

As lotz has said I've seen comments about the changes and think it is inconsistent depending who you talk to. My desktop version has had no changes (same as it's been for a while) and app has a couple of changes with biggest change I've noticed is the seller's name and feedback is front and center right under the Item Description, even before the price. I still have "see sellers other items" on both (some have said they don't).

Perhaps part of the "testing" is only doing it for certain sellers (for example maybe sellers with a store first?, I don't have one) or changes will be different depending on broswer and/or device.

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@flipistics wrote:

Rolling it out for testing with the general eBay population is the only way to test these things. For effective testing you need LOTS of people. to reach even 5% of users means millions of people.

It's not the only way to test them, but it is an important step. All I'm saying is that eBay providing the opportunity for us to see and make suggestions to the new format BEFORE the general testing phase would be better than dealing with them immediately on live. For example, eBay could very easily make a testing page where we could input one of our listing numbers and see how it would look in the new format. That would allow anyone (who wanted to) to test things, see how addons interacted, etc prior to it going live. It would likely eliminate a lot of the bugs in an environment that wouldn't potentially damage sales.

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

Will there be fee increases attached to this somehow?

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

@galeascomics wrote:

Will there be fee increases attached to this somehow?

With the new government regulations regarding cheaper card processing fees, there should be a decrease if anything. I'm sure there won't be though.

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

Would be great to just have something working properly. I'm not sure if it was previously said, but personally since a few weeks or months  (clearly an update), my searchs are as gallery view by default. This is annoying. I put it as list view, sometimes it stays, sometimes it randomly reset. Same for my settings to sort, or when i select canada only, or when i search with sold listings. I do researchs sessions and often everything reset randomly over items i enter and i need to re select everything. It would be great to just have an interface that work. It was not like this a few weeks or months ago. It would be great to be able to save our item view. I should not have to click and re click on every setting every few item i search in a totally random way.

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

gauld
Community Member

Not sure if your modifications to the listing too are the cause or not but I now I can list about 1 item or so a night if i'm lucky because it's taking me hours to list an item due to a gltich that causes it to reset back to it's default most of the time I try to edit anything in the desciption on my computer using Google Chrome. It's costing me a fortune in potential lost sales because I barely can list anything anymore because of it, In 3 hours tonight I was able to list 2 items and in the last hour my last item I couldn't finish it because now all I get is refresh instead of listings. Also Ebay help is not working at all in way ... no phone option, no email option and uit has been down for the past couple days. Eventually everyone effected by this is going to just give up on Ebay if this continues because so no listings means less and less sales.

Please fix these problems asap. 

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

I use sell similar for everything I list on eBay(whether it be a new listing or simply re-listing a previous listing) and as of yet have not experienced any issues...I work within my unsold listings and scheduled listings because draft mode is way too unreliable.

Message 15 of 34
latest reply

I do that too. I only tried draft because any other method wasn't working. I'm going to try listing more stuff if I can.

Message 16 of 34
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

@flipistics 

This is how it appears it will look going forward. For the sellers I tested using on dot com this is what I am seeing.  Hard to know how much of this is still a work in progress.

dot com

lotzofuniquegoodies_3-1682972506127.png

Scroll~~~~~~~~>

The store and contact are down at near the bottom

lotzofuniquegoodies_4-1682972561179.png

Current dot ca view

lotzofuniquegoodies_5-1682972619792.png

-Lotz

Improvement? Downgraded?

The UK site mirrors the new dot com view.

Message 17 of 34
latest reply

Sees like a DOWNGRADE to me, lets just hide any important seller details at the bottom. Since we know people love to read NOTHING they wont get to the bottom of the page lol!

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

You don't test or design "an experience". You design and test something and we experience it. Please move on from the current fixation on "experience" and also drop the silly language like "Breathe Easy! The seller accepts returns". We're neither children nor idiots.

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

Is this the new listing view experience???  Click on your listing and now, BEFORE your item specifics or description is a gallery of other seller's similar Sponsored listings!!?? This is in addition to even more below your description. A sea of other people's listings within your own listing!!???
It is so crowded it is tough to distinguish what stuff belongs to your own listing you are trying to view and what is not. It isn't clear to the buyer. It causes confusion to the buyer. They may click off your listing because they think what they are seeing is part of it or are other listings you have (but are not)? They may think you have no item specifics and no description.
I am NOT happy with this.
eBay please stop pushing other peoples stuff within MY listing, especially up front and in your face before you can even get to my listing details.

Message 20 of 34
latest reply