eBay/Classifieds Integration Test Launches in Canada

fvghn
Community Member

Anyone else receive this email?  I don't know how to post it here, but in a nutshell, Ebay will start posting some of our ads on Kijiji for free. Sounds pretty good to me except could this be the start of charging for kijiji ads?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Kijiji has one strong international competitor in Craigslist. And many smaller, more local competitors like Used Victoria/Ottawa/Toronto.

I've never found Kjiji useful either for buying or selling, although I have used it and CL to get rid of packing boxes for free.

My one concern is the Kubota Tractor Scam.

That's the one where the buyer is told that his payment will be brokered through eBay Financial, which does not exist.

Mostly vehicles, and often with a sob story attached.

Started with Kubota Tractor offers at well below the $50,000 plus normal cost of those useful machines.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I use kijiji a little bit, mostly for large items too costly to ship to the US or overseas. I've sent parts as heavy as 20kg to most provinces and the Canada Post shipping prices are reasonable. Lots of Canadians in the market for used bike parts seem to search Kijiji Canada wide.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@fvghn wrote:

Anyone else receive this email?  I don't know how to post it here, but in a nutshell, Ebay will start posting some of our ads on Kijiji for free. Sounds pretty good to me except could this be the start of charging for kijiji ads?

kijiji Canada is already profitable from charging for ad upgrades, seller upgrades (like being able to exceed listing limits) and 3P advertising.

This just an effort to see if both company arms can generate more sales when working together.

Kijiji goes by that name in Canada, Italy, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Known as eBay Classifieds in the USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kijiji

-..-

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I have used Kijiji a lot when I lived in Nova Scotia (just moved back to BC) all my sales were paid with e-transfers, money orders or c.o.d. There is no invoicing or payment system, so I don't see any advantage for kijiji to advertise for us, unless there will be tracking in place to show which site the buyer saw the item the are buying.  Also kijiji is not an auction site, strictly advertising for sale.  This looks like apples and oranges to me.

Maybe this is completely unrelated, but absolutely nobody is viewing, so no sales.  I started selling again last week after a year away. Did great the first few days , then nothing. So I think it's wait and see.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Also kijiji is not an auction site, strictly advertising for sale.

Neither is eBay any more. Over 80% of transactions are now Fixed Price and many if not most auctions include a Buy It Now option.

Which simplifies things. A crossposting becomes just a little more advertising for sellers.

But if eBay chooses to go with the mega-sellers, and offshore businesses, they will lose the local sellers to Craigslist and the like.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Another reason to do this is that kijiji ranks as the 12th most popular site for Canadians with eBay.CA down at number 23. So kijiji could boost eBay visitor numbers...

Top selling/retail sites visited by Canadians:

1. A-river Canada (9)

2. Kijiji Canada (12)

3. A-river USA (17)

4. eBay.CA (23)

5. eBay.COM (33)

6. craigslist Canada (42)

*  PayPal is 48th overall

7. bestbuy Canada (49)

Source: www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/CA

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I got it today. It held the same information as the Announcement we all read earlier. I have additional questions around Local Pickup that I'd like answered. Also, I'd like to hear where they think this is headed.....

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

eBay's site is National-International........Kijiji is local..

Could it be that eBay is looking to increase the Local aspect of selling in Canada.

One gets the impression that eBay has done a lot to influence local selling..... How eBay has affected local businesses.

In Winnipeg, many auction houses have closed......  retired auctioneers....  and there have been no new auction houses established over the last 10-15 years.  and if there was any new auction seller options  they disappeared quite quickly. .

Thrift stores have taken over in Winnipeg....  and perhaps garage sales have become less important to individuals...They choose eBay... ... to sell individual items..... or they deliver to a local thrift store, and not worry about selling their own"stuff"

Thrift stores, estate sales, church sales  and finally garage sales are a major source of inventory for eBay sellers

eBay has become  a primary focus for selling online..... Many sellers use eBay to learn how to sell online, and continue  for many years  as many of us  have done........ and eBay will continue  as an online option in future...

----------------------------------------------------------------

My big ... What if......

What would happen if all eBay sellers that live in Winnipeg,,,  were listed on a website with a local focus.....  like an internet mall.... and promoted to local buyers..... or as an online garage sale  for garage sale sellers.....

But keep  the retail eBay .... eBay Canada... separate .....from the garage sale eBay... eBay Kijiji.... together on Kijiji  but always separated  as retail eBay versus classified adds.

There is also a possibility that eBay is looking to promote  Canadian sellers to Canadian buyers......  with an added emphasis on local selling...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Kijiji started as a local classified advertisement listing option.......

Could it be that the future of selling on eBay is to add a local focus for all sellers, and not just a select few sellers with  select few listings.as this current plan.

------------------------------------------

A local  internet  eBay mall .....  There are potential problems.....  However,  there may be ways to  allow for local selling... local pickup.

and then perhaps guest buyers....    Setting up such a reality could be complicated.... but very profitable for sellers on eBay and for eBay.

The beginning of this appears to be there... right now...it is  just a beginning.

This could also be a model for eBay's other sites, with Canada as a test market...

------------------------------------------

I can see a local eBay option  where someone registers as a guest... enters the internet mall and then shops like they were at a local mall.

eBay is actually a very large mall... an online mall where people visit....  look at "all of the stores"... and buy as they choose.

How big would eBay be  if they were one big B & M mall?    Such a "physical" mall could never be something real... just too big to imagine

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I've long held the belief that eBay itself could do more to facilitate Local shopping in a variety of ways. With postage costs being what they are in Canada as compared to other places, I think there is room for development in this area.

And, let's be honest, there are somewhat fewer nuts on eBay than there are to be found on kijiji simply because eBay takes more functioning grey matter to navigate both as a buyer and seller.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Also, as a fellow Winnipegger, I have wondered if we should explore a collective meeting place or even form a group like the one that exists for Winnipeg sellers of handmade items that shall remain nameless. They even host their own craft sales.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@pinetreecottage wrote:

I have used Kijiji a lot when I lived in Nova Scotia (just moved back to BC) all my sales were paid with e-transfers, money orders or c.o.d. There is no invoicing or payment system, so I don't see any advantage for kijiji to advertise for us, unless there will be tracking in place to show which site the buyer saw the item the are buying.  Also kijiji is not an auction site, strictly advertising for sale.  This looks like apples and oranges to me.

Maybe this is completely unrelated, but absolutely nobody is viewing, so no sales.  I started selling again last week after a year away. Did great the first few days , then nothing. So I think it's wait and see.

I just sold an Ebay item to a buyer from Toronto. The buyer found it advertised on Kijiji, then quickly registered on Ebay. EASY! Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Not saying that Kijiji will start charging; possibly but in this scheme some Kijiji browsers are directed to eBay.

A selected few of the Canadian Sellers' items on eBay can be found in Kijiji with a button to push to go to eBay for that item; obviously to obtain the item for the usual fees we see on eBay.    Apparently a few items will be picked off eBay.ca auctions and displayed also on Kijiji; will any of yours or mine get shown on Kijiji?    I see none of mine over there so my reason for originating the question was to see what others were saying.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply