eBay Global shipping program?

Anybody else get invited to this?

They deal with all customs forms, etc by shipping to a US address?  Feedback is protected from low ratings etc?

What the heck are they talking about?

I said yes, and now they are going to revise all my listings.  I don't understand this nebulous program.  Can anybody sum it up gracefully?

Thank you!

There is no reasoning with the unreasonable.
Message 1 of 322
latest reply
321 REPLIES 321

Do not sign up for the Import charges global shipping program do you realize the extra millions they are going to make DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS

Message 41 of 322
latest reply

I just bought another item which is turning out a mess because of this program.

The seller agreed to $9 shipping and it's showing up as $55 when I go to pay because of this program.

The seller is doing her best to fix it.

I feel sorry for her because she's a new seller and had no idea.........

She is in the process of changing all of her listings but I want my item as agreed @ $9 for shipping and I can't help her.

At least I never leave NFB (and only trash DSRs in very very very extreme cases) .......... but some might.

How on ebay can this be a good for anything but P-B?

Message 42 of 322
latest reply

Like has been mentioned previously i*m & i think by you, the deals stateside just don't seem to be there right now.

Postal Increases, GSP, we are going to be more inclined to buy Canadian & Local Area Items.

Would usually have 25-50 Items on my Watch List what i considered Great Deals with shipping, the last two weeks, 3.

Message 43 of 322
latest reply

Totally Agree, and it's good to know that other's are seeing what I am.

But the item was a deal............. (it's hard to stop cold turkey)

............... and the seller is absolutely great and super to work with.

We worked it out by having her send me a paypal money request  and she's changed all of her listings so the Global program is out of the picture.

They just don't know what we see until we tell them.

Message 44 of 322
latest reply

If you can get the deal without the GSP, you're getting lucky.

Not happening for me right now.

Of course I'm talking about my category & most have not signed on for the GSP.

High prices reflect the USPS Increases.

Message 45 of 322
latest reply

erikki7
Community Member

As a Canadian buyer, I just got my first GSP experience yesterday... Starting right now, there are 2 rules that EVERY CANADIAN BUYER should follow before buying from a US Seller...

1. Ask if the seller is using the Global Shipping Program?

2. If they do, DONT BUY!!!

All Canadian buyers should spread this info through all their Facebook and Twitter community...

Message 46 of 322
latest reply

If you do get caught buying an item using the GSP there is nothing forcing you to pay.

You can ............ and should............ contact the seller and tell the seller what you are being asked to do.

Most are not aware of how their buyers are getting billed.

We need to tell them.

Items can be re-listed without the GSP and items can be shipped the normal way.

That said............. always in the back of my mind is the thought that it would be great if all US sellers bought into the program because it would kill their International sales leaving more for me (us).

Message 47 of 322
latest reply

"Items can be re-listed without the GSP and items can be shipped the normal way."

...and the seller loses the 50% discount eBay is currently giving US sellers. 😞 

I expect some American sellers may balk at losing the 50% FVF discount.

Message 48 of 322
latest reply

Wow........ that was fast!  Thank You for that :).  

Yes, you posted that information correctly.  Some sellers may not want to re-list due to FVFs.

There are additional reasons for not wanting to re-list for one buyer as well, but I won't elaborate on those now as most are obvious and not relevant.

My suggestion that the buyer ask the seller to re-list without the GSP will not work all of the time............ but what does?

It has worked well for me several times and it may work for other buyers as well.

That's why I passed it on.

Just trying to help.

Who Knows?

Message 49 of 322
latest reply

Have you ever looked at how listings using the GSP looks to buyers from other parts of the world?

Go to a listing which uses the GSP and type in another location, such as France, and then look a their costs.

Canadians costs are moderate by comparison.

I know that ALL U.S, sellers won't opt into the program, but just as a thought exercise imagine for a moment if they did.

Would that help Canadian sales?

Or........

Would it drive international buyers away and thus hurt Canadian sellers as a result?

Since 100% of all US sellers won't subscribe to the program, what if 50% did?

Just a Thought.

Message 50 of 322
latest reply

As a Canadian buyer, I just got my first GSP experience yesterday... Starting right now, there are 2 rules that EVERY CANADIAN BUYER should follow before buying from a US Seller...

You shouldn't have to ask if they are using it. If they are using the program look right under the title of the item on the search page. It will say "Customs services and international tracking provided"

Or if you click on the listing, underneath the shipping info there is an Import Charges section. You won't see that if the seller isn't using the program.

Message 51 of 322
latest reply

Totally Agree, and it's good to know that other's are seeing what I am.

But the item was a deal............. (it's hard to stop cold turkey)

............... and the seller is absolutely great and super to work with.

We worked it out by having her send me a paypal money request  and she's changed all of her listings so the Global program is out of the picture.

They just don't know what we see until we tell them.

This is absolutely the way to do it if we Cdn. buyers want to continue to get good deals from the U.S.  Keep alerting and educating U.S. sellers about the GSP nonsense until (hopefully) word gets around down there and they start opting out (or working around it). 

You can't blame them for opting in, if eBay presents it in such glowing terms as indicated by the OP of this string -- "protect your DSRs", etc., and makes it so simple to just push the opt-in button.  It's ludicrous! 

From the point of view of a Cdn. seller, it's great to think our compatriots might look to us first (and Europeans for that matter, once the GSP disease spreads).  However, eBay is actually monkeying with the balance of their cross-border (US/Canada) trade.  I wonder what that will mean in the longer run? 

Taken together with the more stringent restrictions on cross-border travel/shopping, this GSP programme will make it harder for Canadian shoppers to get an easy deal from the U.S. :_|

Needless to say, I won't touch the GSP with a 10-foot pole if and when it's touted to Canadian sellers as the best thing since sliced bread.

Message 52 of 322
latest reply

You shouldn't have to ask if they are using it. If they are using the program look right under the title of the item on the search page. It will say "Customs services and international tracking provided"

AHA!! Thank you!  I've noticed this a few times and wondered what on earth it meant -- I assumed the seller(s) had their own customs brokers.  Now I know it doesn't mean "[...] services provided", but "extra charges tacked on.."

Message 53 of 322
latest reply

""" You can't blame them for opting in, if eBay presents it in such glowing terms as indicated by the OP of this string -- "protect your DSRs", etc., and makes it so simple to just push the opt-in button.  It's ludicrous! """"

That part has me confused.

Are DSRs for sellers who use the GSP protected in some way?

If not, then I would think that sellers who use it are risking serious dings to their DSRs from international buyers.

I realize that Americans are buffered when it comes to international sales.......

BUT....

Since the items get shipped to a relay stating it would slow shipping down, and is there really any way a buyer would leave good DSRs for shipping costs when they just got nailed by the GSP.

It also makes returns a nightmare.

Not sure how it can work in the long run............... time will tell but if it sticks I'll be surprised.

Message 54 of 322
latest reply

"Are DSRs for sellers who use the GSP protected in some way?"

YES.

Message 55 of 322
latest reply

Are DSRs for sellers who use the GSP protected in some way?

If not, then I would think that sellers who use it are risking serious dings to their DSRs from international buyers. 

Yes, this seems to be exactly the problem with this GSP programme - eBay (from what I have heard so far) is touting it as a help to sellers to protect their FB/DSR, presumably by ensuring delivery (???just a gues???), when in reality it will create angry buyers.  I'm completely baffled as to how eBay works out that logic.  Or maybe they don't - it's just become a habit to use that as an enticement to sellers.

And yes, I hadn't considered it, but returns would be a complete fiasco.  Might as well go on a trip to the States and take it back personally...

Message 56 of 322
latest reply

"Are DSRs for sellers who use the GSP protected in some way?"

YES.

How Pierre??  I can't see it.

Message 57 of 322
latest reply

Is a buyer blocked from rating DSRs when a seller uses the program the same way buyers can't rate shipping when it's free?

If so, which DSRs............ if any............ are blocked from rating?

Message 58 of 322
latest reply

I was able to rate all 4 DSRs for the items I bought using the GSP and I can't find any information to the contrary either.

Message 59 of 322
latest reply

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html 

International buyers see an estimated delivery date that includes your stated handling time, estimated ship time to the US shipping center, and the estimated delivery time from the US shipping center to the buyer's location. To attract more international buyers:

Specify a 1-day handling time and ship your item promptly to the US shipping center using a service with tracking. If your item shows a delivery time to the US shipping center of 4 days or less from the date of buyer payment, you'll get an automatic 5-star detailed seller rating for ship time.

Offer free domestic shipping to get an automatic 5-star detailed seller rating for shipping cost.

Message 60 of 322
latest reply