Do I need Inkfrog anymore?

I have been selling since 2004. Back then it was crazy expensive to have photos in your listings so I've been using Inkfrog. (Started when it was Sparedollar) Now Inkfrog is starting to cause me so many problems and you can get 12 photos for free on ebay anyway. Do I still need a photo hosting site? I've been searching and reading for hours and I am just confused now. Can I upload photos from my computer into a listing....for free? In one place I read there was a "small fee" for the extra 11 photos but elsewhere I keep seeing the word free. I have the $50 store if that makes a difference.

I'm sorry if this question is stupid or asked and answered elsewhere. I've looked and tried to figure this out.

Thank you so much for any help.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I've been downloading pics from my computer to my listings for quite some time now.  I have the Basic store and I get to show 12 pics for "FREE": as Ebay calls it, but it is included in the monthly charge.   I like a listing that shows more than a single photo.  Fronts, back, side, bottoms, close ups, hand held, with ruler etc......it's great.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I only use free image hosting sites when selling on ebay.co.uk because only one picture is free in the categories I use. I find no need to bother with them due to the 12 free images when listing on this side of the pond.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Do I still need a photo hosting site? I've been searching and reading for hours and I am just confused now. Can I upload photos from my computer into a listing....for free?

Does InkFrog charge a monthly fee?  I've always used Auctiva (they used to be free, now $2.95/mo), but I've found that having the attractive listing frames to choose from does make listings look attractive and professional, and I love their customizable scrolling galleries that direct customers to some of my other items they might not look for otherwise. 

If you want a "listing frame" from eBay, you'll pay per listing, although it may be different if you have a higher level store -- I don't know, because I've never needed it.  What I saw of eBay's frames were nowhere near as attractive as Auctiva's. 

However, I do occasionally upload additional photos to the eBay gallery directly from my computer (you get 12 free, but they go right under the main listing photo, not in the description area lower down.  The reason I still use both is because many people are apparently now buying via mobile phones, and photos prepared in auction management sites then posted to eBay don't always show up, whereas the top left gallery photos do.

I took a look at one of your listings, and the frame and photos look good.  If you're not paying for Inkfrog (or paying very little), personally I wouldn't switch.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thank you so much for the advice. I do pay $9.95 per month. With all of the changes to ebay, Inkfrog and searching, I have been worried that I'm wasting my time and effort. I am about to list way more and now I know I can just keep doing what I'm doing. I might take a look at Auctiva though. Inkfrog is also involved with a new site called Highwire, which looks good and adds to my confusion.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Hi 'bluedaisy' -- Auctiva does have a limit of 15 free listings per month for the $2.95, and they charge per listing after that.  So it depends upon the type and number of items you generally turn over in a month.  Auctiva is my go-to for higher priced items, and I often use the eBay listing function with the 12 free photos for less expensive items, or types of items that I'm likely to be listing frequently. 

If you're well set up with Inkfrog and used to working with it, again, depending on the number of listings you do in a month, you'd probably be just as well to stay with it.  It can take some time to get used to a new auction management provider.

Best of luck!

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I'm hoping to have a few thousand listings. I have been selling for a while but until now I haven't had time to build any momentum. A new auction management provider is something I'd rather avoid. I don't enjoy technical change. I'm not very good at it either 🙂

Thanks again for all of your help. I really do appreciate it.

Best of luck to you also!

Michelle

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I use both inkfrog and auctiva. I have yet to cancel either because the descriptions of my listings would go dead.

I would recommend learning to use file exchange. When you have a few thousand listings hopefully you have a few thousand orders a month. At that point you likely are already using the .csv downloads to process your orders. Anyways I'm not trying to convert you, it requires a greater than basic understanding of excel, but allows much more control than inkfrog.

With either platform you'll find that bulk revisions are hard to make. With file exchange I have unbelievable control over what I can edit and it processes very quickly as well (ever try to apply the same 4 inkfrog globals to few hundred listings? not fun).

Anyways I sold on ebay for 3 years before discovering inkfrog. It was only the past 6 months that I got file exchange working for myself. I wish I put the time in to learn file exchange before I went to inkfrog. The user interface isn't pretty (you're making an excel sheet) but saves the headaches long term.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply