Twice Ebay has shown the wrong shipping costs on my auctions

Twice in recent times my US buyers see a shipping cost that is less than what it costs me to ship. In one case I contacted the buyer and was able to get them to pay the actual costs. The second time I contacted Ebay. They said that they would investigate and that they would refund the difference. I'm still waiting. I had to pay $16.85 while my client was charged on $8.50 ( approx) . Has anyone else seen this happen ? I some how suspect it a Shippo problem because they still have little idea about what they are doing.

Another thing that concerns me is that using Shippo I have shipping options that are not available to me via Post Canada.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I've been using SnapShip because I don't like the interface with Shippo and it doesn't like me either.

Every time I try, I give up and then, when I've printed  my SnapShip(Canada Post) label, one of the Shippo minions emails me snivelling about what did they do wrong?

I assume you have your Small Business Solutions number, since neither discount service works without it.

Which service are you not seeing with Canada Post?

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

What your customer sees is what you have set up.

Are you using metric measurements? Canada Post went metric in 1974. Any other measure will be inaccurate.

Are you measuring with a tape and weighing with a digital scale? Canadian Tire sells a StarFrit for $20 that weighs up to 5kg.

Finally, are you offering multiple services?

In my opinion, one is plenty. Otherwise the customer pays for the cheap service and expects the SuperDuperJetSkiGoldPlated Overnight Express.

Choose the service that protects you. If the customer can't afford it, that's his problem.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

BTW -- items that are less than 500grams and 2cm thick can go by Light Packet USA which is sometimes cheaper than Small Packet USA.

You could also look into usingLetterPost.

I ran 17x10x2 and 400gr (a paperback basically) and got Small Packet,Light Packet, Tracked, Expedited,ExpressPost and PriorityPost.

Which are you missing?

And.

Your customer sees the rate card price based on your choice of service, measurements and weight,  not the often discounted price you actually pay. *

* Which covers your packaging and Cookie Jar Insurance. You have shipping costs above the actual postage.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@6guitars wrote:

Twice in recent times my US buyers see a shipping cost that is less than what it costs me to ship. In one case I contacted the buyer and was able to get them to pay the actual costs. The second time I contacted Ebay. They said that they would investigate and that they would refund the difference. I'm still waiting. I had to pay $16.85 while my client was charged on $8.50 ( approx) . Has anyone else seen this happen ?

The eBay calculated rate is supposed to come direct from the Canada Post counter rate schedules.

Your example of $8.50 sounds like Small Packet USA with $16.85 being the equivalent Tracked Packet USA cost.

I see your sales in the last 30 days all used Small Packet USA as the shipping choice at $8.61 -- which is something you selected when setting up the listings.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for your input. I have been on Ebay for 14 years or more. No I did not make any error in my auctions. Canadian buyers saw the correct prices. Dimensions and weight  were correct. I always check my shipping options for the USA and Canada before I post my auctions so that the buyer sees the correct prices depending on their location. If my input was wrong then Canadian buyer would have seen the wrong pricing. When I go to Canada post  I see "small packet US air" as the least expensive choice for the US. For Canada I see regular parcel , xpress post, priority. When I finally ship with Shippo I have seen also  expedited parcel. This appears to be a Business option that I do not see. Yes I have a user number. That's not an issue but when I get charged 16.85 and the client see only $7 odd dollars , something is wrong. This has only happened twice. I have done about 500 transactions on Ebay. Ebay says that they opened a case and are investigating. They are supposed to credit me the difference.

My concern was if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Hi thanks for your input.

I have been doing Ebay for over 14 years. I ship as much as I can in envelopes but the US restricts that to paper items and doc.s I have a Post Canada template and I have almost been cheated by them until I told the agent to run it through the template. I have a great scale. For heavy stuff I will go to the post office and have them weight it before I post the sale. I will cut boxes down or make my own boxes to keep prices down unlike my US confreres who ship a  a small item in a prepaid USPS box that is ten times too big.  In any case Ebay is refunding the difference between what they displayed and what I paid. Unlike some Ebayers I do not purposely make money on shipping. If Shippo gives me a discount that's great.

One one of my last sales Shippo offered my Expedited parcel for less that Regular Parcel

When I check Canada Post site I do not see Expedited parcel as an option. I have an customer number. I'm going to have to call them and ask. I have the small business card but they don't seem to accept me as a small business. Technically I'm not a business. I sell my own stuff. I don't often buy something just to sell it. Who knows.

My purpose of this post was to ask if anyone else ever experienced this issue.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

A package up to 250 grams sent with small packet USA would cost $8.61 at Canada Post.  If the package was 700 grams the cost would be $16.82 so it's possible that the weight entered on the listing was not the weight of the package when you paid. If the parcel was relatively small and dimensional shipping didn't come into play a mistake like that wouldn't affect the Canadian price at all because it costs exactly the same to send a 200 parcel within Canada as it does to send a 750 gram parcel. The price doesn't change until the weight reaches 751 gr.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply