2015 Spring Seller Update

Hello everyone,

We've just released the details of the 2015 Spring Seller Update. You can read all the details here:

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2015/index.html

Feel free to post any questions, I'll do my best to come here daily to answer as much as possible.

Happy Spring!

Message 1 of 93
latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Quick question, if I may.

I understand the changes of fee schedule and policies will increase eBay revenue quite substantially (more fees paid by sellers to eBay).

Could you please give us how much additional revenues is eBay Inc expecting to get from the changes on an annual basis? 

Are we looking at $100,000,000, $200,000,000, $500,000,000, $1,000,000,000 or more?

Message 2 of 93
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Quick question, if I may.

I understand the changes of fee schedule and policies will increase eBay revenue quite substantially (more fees paid by sellers to eBay).

Could you please give us how much additional revenues is eBay Inc expecting to get from the changes on an annual basis? 

Are we looking at $100,000,000, $200,000,000, $500,000,000, $1,000,000,000 or more?

Hi Pierre,

This is not public information, unfortunately I am not at liberty to discuss these details. As you know, earnings are made public on a quarterly basis. Sorry to not be able to say more. 

Message 3 of 93
latest reply

I just want to send a huge thank-you to the decision makers in San Jose for this Spring Update.  Perhaps they were just too busy this year to come up with the usual drastic, draconian ideas we've come to expect.    

For once, the "Update" it is just that -- an Update, a slight adjustment, not a total re-invention or overhaul that requires a complete abandonment and re-thinking of my business plans. 

Sometimes the status quo can be a gift.  Sometimes doing nothing, or almost nothing, is the smartest thing to do.  

Message 4 of 93
latest reply

In the Q&A eBay.ca offers:

These changes have no impact on Top Rated Seller discounts. Get more details on Top Rated Seller requirements and benefits.

Unfortunately, the link is to the PowerSeller requirement page, not answering the question about the 20% rebate for TRS.

Message 5 of 93
latest reply

So, am I to understand that Fixed Price Listings in media categories are going from 5c per item to 30c per item?

A 600% increase in listing fees???? 

That is a terrible, horrible, decision.

Message 6 of 93
latest reply

Raphael - how do you reconcile the comment in post #6 to the answer in your Q&A page;

"We don’t expect the overall fees to change significantly for most sellers. Some sellers may see an increase in fees, which can be reduced by adjusting their listing format, listing duration and improving the quality of their listings. Most sellers will see their fees stay the same or decrease."

Message 7 of 93
latest reply

Hi,

I list around 400 items my limit is up to 1,540 items or up to C $14,500.00 per month, 99 % of my item are at fix price... Is the new fee ruling will mean I will have to pay insertion fee for 380 items.

Please be short and clear, to much information in your update ''2015 Spring Seller''... and by the way is it possible to get this infos in french ???

Many thanks,  

Rock

Message 8 of 93
latest reply

Only 20 free listings per month unless I pay for an Ebay store??? That's not going to happen. One more reason for sellers to start promoting outside of Ebay.

Message 9 of 93
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

In the Q&A eBay.ca offers:

These changes have no impact on Top Rated Seller discounts. Get more details on Top Rated Seller requirements and benefits.

Unfortunately, the link is to the PowerSeller requirement page, not answering the question about the 20% rebate for TRS.

Hi Pierre,

What question about the 20% TRS discount do you need an answer to?

Message 10 of 93
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Raphael - how do you reconcile the comment in post #6 to the answer in your Q&A page;

"We don’t expect the overall fees to change significantly for most sellers. Some sellers may see an increase in fees, which can be reduced by adjusting their listing format, listing duration and improving the quality of their listings. Most sellers will see their fees stay the same or decrease."

Unfortunately sellers who list in the media categories are not part of the group that will see their fees stay the same or decrease.

Message 11 of 93
latest reply

So, we're just supposed to take the brunt of the changes, for the better of the rest of your website? How is that fair?

As someone who is just getting started, I've listed almost 700 items in the media categories in the past couple of months.

So now, you're telling me that those same 700 listings will now incur an additional $175.00 *just* in listing fees?

I love the rest of the updates, I think this was well thought out. But that last part, about the listing fees for media sales, just deflates the rest.

Media prices are already falling as it is. So now you're upping the fees drastically to further kill off what is one of your biggest categories of sales? Or is that the point. To extract as much as you can from sellers before prices fall even further, and listings drop off?

I really don't understand the logic behind this one at all.
Message 12 of 93
latest reply

@rockp5233 wrote:

Hi,

I list around 400 items my limit is up to 1,540 items or up to C $14,500.00 per month, 99 % of my item are at fix price... Is the new fee ruling will mean I will have to pay insertion fee for 380 items.

Please be short and clear, to much information in your update ''2015 Spring Seller''... and by the way is it possible to get this infos in french ???

Many thanks,  

Rock

Hi rockp5233,

In short, you have it right. If you calculate 380 times $0.30 insertion fees, that's $114 per month. This means if you were to get a Premium Store giving you 500 monthly listings with zero insertion fees at $49.99 per month (yearly subscription), you will save $64 per month in insertion fees.

All the fee structure details are here: http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2015/rate-plans.html

The French versions of our seller updates always come a short while after the english versions to accommodate for translation time. You should see it coming within the next week or so.

Message 13 of 93
latest reply

I hope you will repair visibility and update the site to be read by all kind of navigator.

Because since one year, most of the customer can't see my goods, because they receive always and for most inscription, the same messsage : Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries....

We know that's a navigator problem, but the customer don't know and they thing that it is unlaw to buy from my site and now I don't sell anymore.

The customer service tell us that they work on this problem, but they don't and we pay for store for nothing, because nobody  see our articles or they thing that is is unlaw to buy from my site.

Message 14 of 93
latest reply

From a 100 free listings to only 20 free listings per month... Can you explain how this will help ebay generate revenue... I was only listing a 100 items a month... So basically it's is no longer worth my while to pursue this hobby. Ebay will lose out on the 10% selling fee I was paying. In assuming others will also abandon their ebay hobby. You may beleive that our revenu is equivocatent to pennies but you make dollars with pennies....

I'm very disappointed!
Message 15 of 93
latest reply

@ians_vintage wrote:
So, we're just supposed to take the brunt of the changes, for the better of the rest of your website? How is that fair?

As someone who is just getting started, I've listed almost 700 items in the media categories in the past couple of months.

So now, you're telling me that those same 700 listings will now incur an additional $175.00 *just* in listing fees?

I love the rest of the updates, I think this was well thought out. But that last part, about the listing fees for media sales, just deflates the rest.

Media prices are already falling as it is. So now you're upping the fees drastically to further kill off what is one of your biggest categories of sales? Or is that the point. To extract as much as you can from sellers before prices fall even further, and listings drop off?

I really don't understand the logic behind this one at all.

Sorry that the new fee structure doesn't fit your business model as we as it will others. Unfortunately I can't speak to the logic behind these changes, but I know that if your insertion fees climb up to $175 per month, there is a store subscription that can cut these costs by more than half. 

Message 16 of 93
latest reply

@lami0001 wrote:
From a 100 free listings to only 20 free listings per month... Can you explain how this will help ebay generate revenue... I was only listing a 100 items a month... So basically it's is no longer worth my while to pursue this hobby. Ebay will lose out on the 10% selling fee I was paying. In assuming others will also abandon their ebay hobby. You may beleive that our revenu is equivocatent to pennies but you make dollars with pennies....

I'm very disappointed!

Hi lami0001,

Keep in mind that your insertion fees will be automatically credited for any auction-style listing that sells. Looking at your listings, about 80% of them are auction style, so out of your 100 monthly you should get a lot more than 20 with zero insertion fees.

Message 17 of 93
latest reply

There is no business... That's exactly the issue with this change. The change is done for large business and doesn't consider the small guys that does this as a hobby but yet still generates ebay some revenue. I'm sure I'm not the only one and I don't see myself being able to continue.

Guess ebay doesn't really care about us!
Message 18 of 93
latest reply

well this will finish me i supose ,too bad was a lot of fun,great retirement hobby,but talk about being greedy wow this really takes the cake ,i thought 10 percent on sale price and 10 percent on shipping was greedy ,dont think its possible to make money here any more,what they should have done is increased the free listings,this will meen big troulble for everyone concerned,yess ebay as well after the sellers start dropping off it will be harder to find items for sale anylonger amazing

Message 19 of 93
latest reply

I agree they should have increased the number of free listings. I was excited at first cause I thought that what beeing announced. So instead of generating more revenue for ebay I'm now looking at closing everything!
Message 20 of 93
latest reply