2017 Fall Seller Update - Community discussion thread

Hi everyone. 

Opening up a thread to discuss the 2017 Fall Seller Update, announced September 19th on eBay.ca. 

Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Re: 2017 Fall Seller Update - Community discussion thread

No mention of when the Seller Hub coming to eBay.ca Canada from my quick read of the Seller Update. Any timeline yet on the Seller Hub coming to eBay.ca Canada?

Message 2 of 74
latest reply

I see that watermarks on eBay Photos will not be allowed sometime in 2018. More useless time consuming work for sellers.

Sellers who continue to include watermarks will have their listings removed from search if not corrected by March 1, 2018.

The current Active Content, Links and HTTP/HTTPS compliance is enough time spent revising listings. Adding watermark removal is more time wasted.

Message 3 of 74
latest reply

The eBay.com USA discussion of the 2017 Fall Seller Update is here for additional information on the Update.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/2017-Fall-Seller-Update-User/bd-p/17FallSellerUpdate

Message 4 of 74
latest reply

Hi pocomocomputing

We're currently very actively working on bringing Seller Hub to Canada. It's one of our highest priorities.

@pocomocomputing wrote:

No mention of when the Seller Hub coming to eBay.ca Canada from my quick read of the Seller Update. Any timeline yet on the Seller Hub coming to eBay.ca Canada?

Message 5 of 74
latest reply

Regarding the watermarking of images: this is the deal-breaker for me.

The images that I attach to my listings are mine, they take many, many hours of dedicated hard work to prepare and edit and upload and I showcase with photographs the items that I sell better than anyone else who sells what I do which is probably the whole reason I sell those items.

There's absolutely no possible way I'm going to let my hard work and intellectual property get hijacked by the erroneous ebay Product Catalogue and/or other competing sellers.

Thank you for giving me the push required to open up elsewhere. I'm currently sitting on 100+ new products, I certainly won't be listing them here. I have been procrastinating opening up elsewhere online but I have been loyal to ebay as long as I can. No more. I don't feel like this is an equal relationship of give-and-take anymore. My new products will go into my own online store, along with the others I have currently listed, as I set up and depart this venue for one where I am in control of my own property. Period.

ebay made new rules, I strongly disagree with them, I'm not sticking around. I'm done. You won't see me here past the end of February. 

Message 6 of 74
latest reply

I got fed up with other sellers using my images on their ads or in some cases their own web sites which is why I started to watermark them. So now, eBay is going to promote the theft of my images by preventing me from watermarking them ? Are you guys nuts ? THIS IS REALLY ANNOYING.

Message 7 of 74
latest reply

It's worse than annoying to me. It's the death knell of my 12-year relationship here, I'm done. Exit plan initiated. I'm not sticking around to see the aftermath of the theft of my hard work and my brand. To eBay, I have given, I have bent and I have twisted. I have contorted. I have conducted myself in the most professional manner I can muster, I draw the line at allowing theft of my intellectual property. Nowhere in the world is another person allowed to steal another user's photographs but now it is totally okay here on eBay. Over my dead body.
Message 8 of 74
latest reply

a.depour I am REALLY looking forward to having to sit down at my computer from now until March first RESCANNING ALL FIVE THOUSAND of my paper items I sell just because you people have come up with this new rule for your playground!  That being the removal of watermarks.

This is the way I have seen eBay over the past few years with Seller "Make Work Project" Updates. 

eBay is the Playground Bully.  Sellers are invited to play in the playground BUT THE RULES CHANGE TWICE A YEAR!  Every time there's a new set of rules, we sellers are bullied into playing by them or shown the flipplin door!

I can fully understand if a seller has their website address as a watermark but how about us sellers who just have our eBay handle as a watermark to avoid anyone stealing our images and using them on their own listings?

I am forced to either shut down my store and start ALL OVER AGAIN (after being an eBay seller for 18+ years) or somehow find an easier way to work around this new rule of yours!  Which will take MY TIME away from focusing on making a freaking living here!

Your "Fine Tuning" is getting so ridiculous! 

And what about my Seller Dashboard that STILL SAYS I'm getting a 20% discount!  How long will I have to look at that?  Your site is so riddled with glitches your entire staff should be ashamed!

Message 9 of 74
latest reply

I can live with the other new policies forthcoming for eBay sellers but after having many of my handknit products((which unfortunately had no water marked images)), stolen/hijacked by Dailycenter.top, I will not be listing those items or any new ones on eBay. I know the handknits won't sell so readily on other selling venues especially since even Etsy didn't work well enough to keep listings there; but I can no longer trust having them listed on eBay until there is some sort of resolution to the problem Dailycenter.top has created for me.

Message 10 of 74
latest reply

My seller dashboard finally says 10% instead of the 20% so it got resolved for me...although my TRS is in jeopardy anyway - Again!  because of lack of sales. 10% is no longer much to worry about anyway but for me it would cover much of the newly added taxes.

Message 11 of 74
latest reply

My Images are my Images no watermarks then I will sell them on my own site, period.

If ebay think I am going to change all my pictures again, wrong!

Time to consider that store downgrade i think, being in Quebec we are only billed monthly anyway.

Message 12 of 74
latest reply

Hi @oldjapanesebikes@momcqueen@moreintheattic,

I understand your frustration with the new policy to remove watermarks. I'm working on getting more details on this and will share with you as soon as I have it. 

Thanks for your patience. 

Message 13 of 74
latest reply

@moreintheattic wrote:
...And what about my Seller Dashboard that STILL SAYS I'm getting a 20% discount!  How long will I have to look at that?  Your site is so riddled with glitches your entire staff should be ashamed!

My dashboard shows the correct 10% (it was fixed at the start of September).

Message 14 of 74
latest reply

I understand your frustration with the new policy to remove watermarks. I'm working on getting more details on this and will share with you as soon as I have it. 

What are you going to be working on to find more details about? THE MESSAGE IS PRETTY CLEAR, NO WATERMARKING PERIOD!!

Anything and Everything with a Watermark will be removed by March.1/2018.

It's time to face the music and respond properly to your sellers instead of sweeping it under the carpet and hope it blows over! 

Message 15 of 74
latest reply

No watermarks and I am out of here by next year!

RIDICULOUS!!

My IMAGES ARE MY IMAGES not Ebays or any other entity, PERIOD!

@a.depour wrote:

Hi @oldjapanesebikes@momcqueen@moreintheattic,

Message 16 of 74
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:
... Time to consider that store downgrade i think, being in Quebec we are only billed monthly anyway.

Where you are does not matter. If you have month-to-month store rate or a store with the yearly subscription rate -- you still get get billed monthly.

If you are on the yearly store subscription plan there are penalties for ending before the 12 months are up.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/storefees.html

-..-

Message 17 of 74
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

... What are you going to be working on to find more details about? THE MESSAGE IS PRETTY CLEAR, NO WATERMARKING PERIOD!!

For starters:

1. How is eBay going to enforce this?

2. Is there going to be a tool that lets sellers know if eBay considers their images watermarked?

I just can't see how ebay is going to successfully manage this. Are they going to check every image posted? Are they going to spend the money to increase support staff levels to deal with all the false-positive results the computer bots generate?

This policy looks too much like something a non-seller dreamed up in the lawyer/catalog section of eBay to make their job easier regardless of whether has any benefit for ebay sellers.

-..-

Message 18 of 74
latest reply

I primarily sell Old Postcards on ebay

while I do not like using watermarks or something to block the image from being copied I at times have to

I have discovered there are internet sites that are not associated with ebay  that are copying images of my cards on ebay cropping them and reproducing them and selling selling them as prints  

One site in particular  was copying every card I put on of a particular area I sell listing it on their site and advertise quality reproductions of them

easier said than done to get them taken down

Before I realized this was happening Some very expensive cards I listed on Ebay  were nabbed and are now offered there as prints

I have met folk who have bought them from there

While many of my cards range in the $5.00 to $50.00 range I have offered cards here that are worth hundreds of dollars and at times a lot more in the retail market

This practice of copying affects my ability too sell them both here and off line for a fair retail value

it devalues the image each time it is reproduced

Photographic Images at times are one of a kind or close to it

that also applies to some postcards and the images on them at were produced at the time 

some were produced on a limited basis to the public and through time many have been destroyed or lost 

that makes the images very rare and expensive

In no way is this acceptable and ebay by imposing this ridiculous restriction will be affecting many

if one wants to reproduce images they first should own them

ebay not allowing watermarks or markings  on these to prevent copying  will enable others to do this any time they want and in effect cause a form of theft that of something that is not theirs to use

Message 19 of 74
latest reply

Hi ypdc,

That's a good question... Is it a empty threat to motivate Sellers to remove their watermarked images? I really don't know....

It's just like when my USD listings on eBay.ca were removed in one fatale swoop.. How did eBay.ca detect USD listings? or notifying Sellers that their listings weren't HTTPS compatible.

I'm not really knowledgeable with the techno stuff.....

Of course, we now know that converting from USD to CDN had nothing to do with increased sales but eBay.ca becoming a separate entity (eBay Canada Limited).

I would think that detecting watermarked images with a billion listings worldwide will be a Herculean task! 

Message 20 of 74
latest reply