Ebay refunded a customer that purchased from me and to date I still do not have my product back

Ebay refunded a customer that purchased from me and to date I still do not have my product back

Please advise as what next as we have hired lawyer to proceed if I do not get my item back.....

Customer still has my 200.00 carrier and to top it off you removed money from my ebay account without my permission....

So therefore total has doubled....

I have made a last attempt with purchaser and informed them of a lawyers involvement......

Please advise as 30 day notice has been sent....

Sellers be very careful what you sell...you are basically left out there to hang.....

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

It may depend on the nature of the return (Not as Described?) and how you responded to it. 

If you hired a lawyer for a $200 case first before exploring what your options may be, I hope the lawyer works pro bono.  Even if you get your eBay transaction refunded, you won't get the lawyer fees back. 

On a return case, if it is Not as Described, the seller has to pay return shipping to get it back.  Did you? 

If you do not, eBay may decide in the buyer's favor and just refund.  If you did not send either a return label or the money for its purchase to the buyer, that may be the problem.

Sometimes eBay thinks you just don't want it back and so closes the case.  If you can prove you paid for return shipping, or even if you are willing to do it now, use the HELP & CONTACT link at the top & bottom of the page and call eBay.  Sometimes making a call helps.  Not always, but at least the call is free. 

If the buyer just changed their mind, they buyer is responsible for return shipping.  It depends on what kind of case was opened.  Also how you responded. 

Enlisting a lawyer won't help your eBay case any, nor will just saying you did. 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

This is a user forum so it is unlikely that eBay will see your post.  Normally if you follow the terms of eBay's money back guarantee the buyer puts in a claim or request, the seller aks buyer to send item back and pays for the return if the claim is that the item is not as described.  Once the item is received back, the seller refunds.  What happened in your case?

The total hasn't doubled, you are still out $200 as you would never have had both the carrier and the money the buyer paid but regardless, $200 is a lot of money to be out. 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem with eBay is when they refunded the buyers without sellers' permission and eBay don't expect the buyers to return the items which happened often from what I learned from my friends who are sellers!!

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Also be careful of your bank account. They took payment from my bank account,even though i had plenty of money in my paypal. I opened up a special account in my bank and keep minimal money in it.It is the only account that they have access to now. Pretty sad when these kind of things happen and you begin to trust no one.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

And they will hold it against you when your evaluation comes up
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

On a similar note: ebay refuses to refund Me for an item I Never Received!!

December 14, 2016 I ordered a gift from a Canadian Seller (I'm in Canada as well)

I paid immediately and then asked the seller if they thought it would arrive for Christmas and they assured me it probably would.

The seller notified me that he had shipped it out and by December 24 it still wasn't here so I messaged the seller

He assured me he would send it the following Monday but it still didn't arrive

I have 14 messages from him ~ at least 4 of them were him saying he would 'send another' and I could keep them all, as he had a box full! (I had told him I would return a duplicate if it arrived)

Ebay said it should arrive by December 30.2016

Finally on January 6.2017, I opened a 'not received' case and asked for Money Back and searched for another.

The Seller then got nasty with me and said he would send another (he also mentioned that I probably had received a few)

I messaged him that I wanted my money back as we had found another similar item.

Then he got nasty and said I had "lured him" into sending it by cheap mail even though he told me 4 times it had been shipped.

After all this took place, he said he was sending it with a tracking number (which he didn't give me) and I told him I would refuse it as I had asked for "money back" and found another.

He then replied that he would send it WithOut a return address, thereby ensuring I couldn't return it.

When an envelope arrived at the post office, registered mail, with no return address, I refused it.

(I have a total of 14 messages from him, the last one saying he "no longer wanted to deal with me as I was a pain in the **bleep**")

Ebay knows All of these details as I spoke to them over a week ago and still they refuse to refund my $.

Their answer to me was that I "was too late opening a case on January 6th, ~ I should have opened it right after December 30th" which was the date they estimated it's arrival.

I have never heard nor been exposed to such nonsense from Ebay! before as they always favour the buyer.  Things are getting bad ~ I, for one, do not intend to put up with their inconsistent rules much longer.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Oops! posted under wrong name.

I help a family member with his site ~ this post was made by my-june, not danz-toyz

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Strange things are happening in Paypal these days:

I had $ in my account and sent a refund to a buyer

Paypal sent them an e-cheque without giving me a choice and when I telephoned them they couldn't know why

Yesterday I tried to refund another buyer for overcharge and Paypal wouldn't allow it ~ the message I got was "this transaction number has already been used" ~ never heard of that before. I had to go to the 'send money to family & friends' to get the refund to her.

Haven't asked Paypal why as I haven't time to spend an hour on the phone only to find out 'they don't know why it happened'

Strange things are happening also with ebay:

A few minutes ago I posted about ebay refusing to refund me for an item I haven't received

I was signed in properly under my user name of my-june

When the 'rant' posted, it came up under a family member's user name of danz-toyz

What on earth is happening????

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@danz-toyz wrote:

On a similar note: ebay refuses to refund Me for an item I Never Received!!

December 14, 2016 I ordered a gift from a Canadian Seller (I'm in Canada as well)

I paid immediately and then asked the seller if they thought it would arrive for Christmas and they assured me it probably would.

The seller notified me that he had shipped it out and by December 24 it still wasn't here so I messaged the seller

He assured me he would send it the following Monday but it still didn't arrive

I have 14 messages from him ~ at least 4 of them were him saying he would 'send another' and I could keep them all, as he had a box full! (I had told him I would return a duplicate if it arrived)

Ebay said it should arrive by December 30.2016

Finally on January 6.2017, I opened a 'not received' case and asked for Money Back and searched for another.

The Seller then got nasty with me and said he would send another (he also mentioned that I probably had received a few)

I messaged him that I wanted my money back as we had found another similar item.

Then he got nasty and said I had "lured him" into sending it by cheap mail even though he told me 4 times it had been shipped.

After all this took place, he said he was sending it with a tracking number (which he didn't give me) and I told him I would refuse it as I had asked for "money back" and found another.

He then replied that he would send it WithOut a return address, thereby ensuring I couldn't return it.

When an envelope arrived at the post office, registered mail, with no return address, I refused it.

(I have a total of 14 messages from him, the last one saying he "no longer wanted to deal with me as I was a pain in the **bleep**")

Ebay knows All of these details as I spoke to them over a week ago and still they refuse to refund my $.

Their answer to me was that I "was too late opening a case on January 6th, ~ I should have opened it right after December 30th" which was the date they estimated it's arrival.

I have never heard nor been exposed to such nonsense from Ebay! before as they always favour the buyer.  Things are getting bad ~ I, for one, do not intend to put up with their inconsistent rules much longer.

First of all, do not ever EVER get into a lengthy to-and-fro like this with a seller.  You order an item.  You wait a realistic length of time (which varies greatly depending on where the item is located) and if you get no item, contact the seller, yes, but that is basically to let them know that if they do not solve the problem right away you are going to open a case (you don't say that directly, you just politely explain the problem). 

Second, a promised replacement is not a solution, it is a delaying tactic.  Never accept a replacement.  Politely state that you would prefer the refund and then you will rebuy the item.  You do not need to mention that you will rebuy from someone else even if it costs more money.  

Third, when the seller does not refund, you open a case, DO NOT click to say you want the item.  The whole point of opening a case is that you have no item and the seller is stalling.  Do not close a case until you are totally happy.  

A quick refresher, 

On eBay you have 30 days after that LAST date of delivery to open a claim. 

On PayPal you have 180 days after you PAID to file a claim.  

You can try to open a PayPal claim but if the seller has a tracking number that shows you refused the parcel, you will lose again.  

If it really was "registered mail" and not merely "signed for" then registered does not always provide a tracking# so you might win.  You can't go wrong for trying, even if you lose it won't "cost" you anything more than you have lost already.

Personally, I don't think this seller ever sent you anything before that one with the tracking.

I guess it was just a matter of time until the no-item-then-replacement-delay made its way into Canada. 

Next time, contact the seller ONCE.  If you are being delayed, no more talk, just file a claim.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@danz-toyz wrote:

A few minutes ago I posted about ebay refusing to refund me for an item I haven't received

I was signed in properly under my user name of my-june

When the 'rant' posted, it came up under a family member's user name of danz-toyz

What on earth is happening????

You have to log out completely (top left of the page)  both on the eBay main site and on the message boards.  Two places.  

signing out.jpg

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Expected date of Delivery was December 30 ~ I opened a case on January 6

The ebay rep said I "waited too long ~ I should have opened immediately"!!

I don't believe the 'telephone' reps know anything, only how to answer the phone.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Hi. Yes this scares me too, I bought mostly and I am selling. What I do is document each step of packing my buyers items and send with tracking and I make sure it is what the ad I placed said. I know it may be overkill but even take a short video (has come down to this for the most part) of you packaging the item(s).

If this does not win when you send this in to eBay for evidence/support to the buyer's claim, then I will quit myself selling and hope for the rest of the sellers out there.

The P.0. Box thing has me guessing...but do not people have to sign up for one? I am thinking, that if people are fraudulent and use P.0. Boxes then the postal system is weak at finding who is using this 'address' and should follow up...but I guess 'priority' for this is low compared to maybe other situations at least as far as the police are concerned?!

I am sorry you have to endure a battle using a lawyer...just makes one feel sick to have to go through this and be treated like a criminal. This is why feedback is so important, it is our 'credibility', but now I JUST READ that it is an 'option'! Great, I just sold some stuff and so far one has sent one back, but then again, I had to ask, and now two more did not, so this policy is failing as I think we can only give positive feedback and the buyers have free reign! Sounds like a Trump policy! ha ha

Your lawyer will tell you...expect the worst - hope for the best and the Devil is in the details...been around the block on situations like this and who wins...the lawyers because they are getting paid and you are out of $$...I hope you do well in your situation.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Well said and thank you for those words of wisdom, I mean that thanks!

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Welcome to the Ebay world...Happens all the time ebay and paypal give back the buyer their money when a product doesn't get their fast enough and without tracking,,,who is paying for tracking on an inexpensive item, so the buyer gets their money back and now can keep the product when it does arrive...Hard to try and charge someone tracking on a product less than $50,,,Having said that I have had the rare case where a buyer offered to give me back the money when the product did arrive....With all these constant changes and charges It is becoming way more work than it is worth....

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 16
latest reply